Help medicating new goldfish

Frisbee

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 40 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 2 weeks ish
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 73
What is the entire stocking of this tank?(Please list all fish and inverts.) 2 young oranda mixes, 9 kuhli loaches and a couple snails

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 35%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes (added all my mature filter media and substrate)
What do you use to test the water? Api master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Every evening before bed
How much do you feed your fish?
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one and homemade gel food
Do you feed frozen? Yes
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? About a week
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A couple days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Erratic behavior, swelling eyes, slight scale distention
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Kanaplex and prazipro
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Yes, a slightly broken tail
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Less active and having some twitching and spasms.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I recently (about a week ago) purchased another young oranda/fantail mut at the LFS to pair with my red cap.

His tail had some breakage, but didn’t look to serious and he was healthy otherwise.
Over the last couple days, I noticed one of his eyes is bigger (as if swollen) and he was behaving erratically. I noticed stringy poos and some minor scale distention or “pineconing” as well. Not knowing exactly what is going on, I did a waterchange and dosed Kanaplex and prazipro. I’m not exactly sure what is wrong with him and I’m not sure how to move forward.

How do I help him? I’m not incredibly experienced with medications.

2B134A34-A56F-4A06-BD9B-110735E461AE.jpeg
A92DBE5D-42C1-40D9-95B8-21FF469698A0.jpeg
E57BDFE8-5812-43F0-B75B-62335EFDD802.jpeg
4012C205-6D39-4707-9EAD-074CFFB83F58.jpeg
A7C06BE5-A5D9-468B-B20B-63E7AD2FF670.jpeg
702C45F9-56F1-4F2D-8E9D-5B51ADE5ED59.jpeg

jtjgg

did you have carbon in the filter?

did you do the full 3 dose treatment?

Frisbee

did you have carbon in the filter?

did you do the full 3 dose treatment?
No carbon in the filter. As I said above, I just started the kanaplex. I noticed symptoms only a couple days ago.

jtjgg

i've only used Kanaplex once. put the fish into a storage tub, added the 1st dose, 48hrs later, 2nd dose, 48hrs later 3rd dose. 48hrs later moved fish back into main tank.

since you're dosing in the main tank, then do a large (75%) water change 48hrs after the 3rd dose, and add carbon.

Frisbee

I ordered metroplex, kanaplex and focus trio. They arrive tomorrow.

I decided to put carbon in the main tank to get rid of the meds, because tomorrow I want to move little biscuit to a hospital tank and start kanaplex and metroplex together along with medicated food.

I’m hoping this will work.

I also gave him an aquarium salt and epsom salt bath for about 15min today. I was hoping that would offer some relief from potential fluid build up and bloat.

Noroomforshoe

That is a ton of meds all at once, and the stress of moving to a hospital tank and to salt bath containers. And you already used kanaplex which is a pretty harsh treatment. I think you need to give the first round of meds a few weeks and go from there.

In the meantime, you can work on cycalling a hosptal tank.

Frisbee

That is a ton of meds all at once, and the stress of moving to a hospital tank and to salt bath containers. And you already used kanaplex which is a pretty harsh treatment. I think you need to give the first round of meds a few weeks and go from there.

In the meantime, you can work on cycalling a hosptal tank.
Well, I have several sponge filters in the main tank (as well as a HOB), so I could just throw one of the cycled sponge filter in a hospital tank to cycle it.

I’m still a undecided about the hospital tank. I am thinking about not doing any more water treatments and just doing medicated food (using kanaplex, metroplex and focus).

In one way, I don’t want to overmedicate, in another way, I want to kick this dropsy in the butt before it gets untreatable. I have lost fish to dropsy in the past and it’s not pretty.

Frisbee

Unfortunately, I got sick myself. Little biscuit was not worsening, so I haven’t done anything since I put the carbon in. Today I finally felt good enough to get out of bed, so I mixed up the medicated food. I soaked some pellets in water till they turned into paste, then I added a cube of frozen brine shrimp and some blanched veggies and mashed it up. I added the meds (I cut the concentration in about half from the recommendation on the box) and a little gelatin and hot water to make it set up into gel food.

I’ll try feeding some this evening. Hopefully he’ll go for it.

Frisbee

Just a little update. Biscuit is doing great. I fed the medicated food for a couple days (he went crazy for it), then I went back to just regular gel food and lots of water changes. After a week, I did a second round of just Kanaplex to the main tank.

It’s been a week since the second round of Kanaplex and he is doing really good now. He is very active. He has a big appetite and has gotten friendly enough to eat from my hand. His behavior is good and his poops are very healthy. His tail injury is healing as well. :)

9AFB9748-EFDE-4C74-B7EA-32CA3E5E6250.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Josh10
Replies
Views
LuvBella1957
Replies
Views
ZMan1
Replies