help me 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Bobby Callaghan, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Bobby CallaghanValued MemberMember

there is this weird brown stuff all over my plants and the strange thing is that it is on my fake ones and heater to so the leaves arnt dying. What is happening??? thanks

2. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

3. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Yep, sounds like diatoms to me. Often caused by insufficient light or a nutrient imbalance. They will go away on thier own over time but if you want to speed up the process, higher light intensity (more lights), keeping water quality excellent & adding co2 will get them to go away faster. If you don't already have them Otocinclus or Bristlenoses are good for eatting diatoms. It's hard to say if either of those are suitable for your tank though without knowing what other fish are in the tank. Some snails are good for getting rid of diatoms to. I believe Nerites are one of the better ones.

4. OP
    OP
    B

Bobby CallaghanValued MemberMember

I have decent lighting and i have just bought a sucking loach. What are diatoms?

5. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Sucking Loaches don't eat Diatoms as far as I am aware. They also get too large for your tank & as they get older they get vicious. IMO it would be best for you & your fish if you were to return your sucking loach/Chinese Algae Eater.

What we percieve as bright light is not necessarily the case. When it comes to aquariums you can need considerably more light than you think. Can you tell us what kind of fixture you have (Flourescent, PC, CFL), how many tubes/bulbs there are & how many watts the tubes/bulbs are? The tube information should be written on the tubes/bulbs. If it's bulbs you will have to pull one of them out as the info is probably written on the threads/bayonet.

Here's some info on diatoms for you:

6. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Is the "sucking loach" a Chinese algae eater? If it is, then you're in for some pretty big problems...

7. OP
    OP
    B

Bobby CallaghanValued MemberMember

its not an chinese alge eater. and he is eating alge

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice