Help Me!

1. Paincoast89 Member Member

I recently got a new Betta and he doesn't seem to be too active, I've had one before a couple of years ago but I don't remember if this is normal or not.

PS: I got him about 4-ish hours ago

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of a setup do you have him in? Do you have your water parameters?

3. Paincoast89 Member Member

78 degrees and I don't have anything else until I get my water tested

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How big is your tank? Does it have a heater and filter? What kind of substrate? Is there a light?

5. Paincoast89 Member Member

Yeah i have a topfin size 10 filter and no heater because we set the temp kinda high and I have 4 LEDs that are kind of bright and I have just green aquarium gravel

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What size is the tank? How often do you do water changes and how much do you change at a time? Do you have Prime or another brand of water conditioner?

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

7. Paincoast89 Member Member

yeah I do and I used water conditioner and the tank has been running for about 2 days and I haven't done a water change since everything is fairly new

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

And how many gallons is the tank?

9. Paincoast89 Member Member

5.5 . Is it too cold for him?

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Does the temperature stay constant or does it drop at certain times of the day/at night? 78 is a decent temperature for a betta.

Do you happen to have city tests on hand to tell you what is normally in your tap water?

11. Paincoast89 Member Member

Yes, I'm pretty sure the temp stays constant and I'll monitor it tomorrow and I have city water test opened so what should I be looking for?

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Check the temperature several times throughout the day and at least once during the night if you can. If not then first thing in the morning.

On the city test you'll be looking for Ammonia (NH3), Nitrites (NO2) and Nitrates (NO3).

Also, how did you acclimate him to the tank when you brought him home?

13. Paincoast89 Member Member

I kept him in his cup and floated it in the water for 20 mins and all I could find was nitrate which was .58 ppm.

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That could be the source of the problem. If the pH in the cup was significantly different from yours the shock could have really caused some trouble.

Also, just in case can you double check the units on the nitrate results? Are they in ppm?

15. Paincoast89 Member Member

He's doing better now I guess he was tired thanks for everything

Tags: