20 Gallon Tank Help Me With Stocking

• Thread starter Hugooo
  • Start date

Hugooo

Well Known
Hi all! I am currently planning for a 20 gallon long and I want some input on my current stocking so far. Keep in mind I have not chosen my filter, plants, lights, substrate, etc. yet. (For a light, I am currently looking at the hygger Full Spectrum Light, and for substrate I am looking at BDBS) I am still a beginner, and have no experience with live plants and fish other than livebearers. I'm just thinking about the fish right now because it's the most exciting part :D But I am 100% aware that my fish selection completely depends on the plants, filter, etc. Anyway, here is my current planned stocking:
So there you go. Again, this list is 100% modifiable and is in no way complete. The number of each fish can be changed as well. And I hope you get my preferred stocking: one or two bottom-dwelling species, one or two schooling species, and some centerpiece fish. I want fish that are $4.00 and under, and require easy to moderate care. I also want a colorful tank ;) As well as stocking recs, I would also appreciate filter recs, live plant recs, substrate recs, light recs, etc. I want plants that require easy to moderate care, but I will mostly likely be using a fert (ThriveC) and root tabs. TIA! :)

Note: For the the three fish that have slashes, that just means that any of those fish will work, I'm just not sure which one yet.

Edit: Some other fish I was looking at are WCMM, Multies, Zebra Danios, etc. I just put this here so you have a better understanding of what kind of fish I'm looking at. Another thing, my tap water pH is 7.5, not sure about the kH/dH/gH.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well Known

BigBeardDaHuZi

I will throw in a quick shout out for the cardinal tetras. I always worried they would look lurid with such bright colors. Instead, they really, really pop with a live plant background. Much better color than neons too

Nataku

Well Known
Salt and Pepper Cory - 8x (the other two species tend to swim mid water, which will already be full of your other species)
Honey gourami - 3x (pearl get too big, dwarfs are mean lil snots, and sparklers will be lost amongst your schoolers they are so small)
Celestial Pearl Danio - 8x
Cardinal/Green Neon Tetra - 8x (either one would work)
MAYBE: Cherry Shrimp - 10x (if you're heavily planted these are doable)

Filter - either go sponge filter or get an Aquaclear HOB. Arguably they are the best HOB out there. Be sure to put a orefilter spinger on it if you get a HOB since you will have small fish/shrimp.
Plants - easy to grow options: anubias and java fern (don't plant these, just stick them to driftwood or rocks), money wort, pearlweed, anacharis, valisneria, dwarf sagitaria, dwarf salvinia and frogbit (these last two are floaters). Want shrimp? Definitely get some guppy grass or hornwort in there. Don't worry, both of those are super low care and grow like weeds.
Simple all in one fertilizer? Aquarium co-op's Easy Green
Substrate - BDBS is great.
Light - all listed plants are easy to grow plants that only need low light so any decent light will work for them.

Other fish you mentioned:
Multies - lake Tang specific, couldnt be kept with any of your other listed species, need higher pH.
Wcmm - an option if you wanted instead of cardinals/green neon
Zebra danios - gonna be super active and will certainly harrass shrimp.

Hugooo

Well Known
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
I would say either 2 schools of 6 tetras/danios/rasboras, or the more optimal, 12 of one tetra/etc. Pearl gourami get too big, and dwarf gouramis will be aggressive, honeys and sparkling gouramis are fine though. Other than that it's looking good.
I might consider going the 12 of one species route. And there's no way I can have a dwarf gourami? I personally like their coloring more than honeys, but that's not to say I don't like honeys at all, just that dwarfs are a bit more vibrant.
BigBeardDaHuZi said:
I will throw in a quick shout out for the cardinal tetras. I always worried they would look lurid with such bright colors. Instead, they really, really pop with a live plant background. Much better color than neons too
Cool! Pictures?
Nataku said:
Salt and Pepper Cory - 8x (the other two species tend to swim mid water, which will already be full of your other species)
Honey gourami - 3x (pearl get too big, dwarfs are mean lil snots, and sparklers will be lost amongst your schoolers they are so small)
Celestial Pearl Danio - 8x
Cardinal/Green Neon Tetra - 8x (either one would work)
MAYBE: Cherry Shrimp - 10x (if you're heavily planted these are doable)

Filter - either go sponge filter or get an Aquaclear HOB. Arguably they are the best HOB out there. Be sure to put a orefilter spinger on it if you get a HOB since you will have small fish/shrimp.
Plants - easy to grow options: anubias and java fern (don't plant these, just stick them to driftwood or rocks), money wort, pearlweed, anacharis, valisneria, dwarf sagitaria, dwarf salvinia and frogbit (these last two are floaters). Want shrimp? Definitely get some guppy grass or hornwort in there. Don't worry, both of those are super low care and grow like weeds.
Simple all in one fertilizer? Aquarium co-op's Easy Green
Substrate - BDBS is great.
Light - all listed plants are easy to grow plants that only need low light so any decent light will work for them.

Other fish you mentioned:
Multies - lake Tang specific, couldnt be kept with any of your other listed species, need higher pH.
Wcmm - an option if you wanted instead of cardinals/green neon
Zebra danios - gonna be super active and will certainly harrass shrimp.
Wow, thanks for the long response! Like I asked SouthAmericanCichlids, there's no way I could have dwarf gouramis? Like if I did the method where I took all of the fish out, rearranged stuff, and put all of them in. Also, any idea where I could access the fish and plants without expensive shipping? Another thing: what kinds of media should I put in the filter?

Any other suggestions?

Hugooo

Well Known
Friendly bump :)

Also, for right now, I'm thinking ember tetras more than CPDs because they seem to be less expensive and easier to keep. For gouramis, I'm looking at dwarf gouramis because they have that nice color. I've heard many times they can be aggressive but they're just more appealing to me, and if I did the 1m/2f ratio that would probably also help. But again, I am open to any and every piece of advice I can get. :D TIA again!

FishGirl115

Well Known
I would not do more than one dwarf gourami. Not enough space. You could do one though.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well Known
Hugooo congrats for 500 posts!

Top Bottom