Help me with stocking my 20 gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by BunnySawNothing, Aug 10, 2015.

1. BunnySawNothing

BunnySawNothingValued MemberMember

Ok so i have a 20 gallon high and im wondering my option for fish

im getting for sure 1 angelfish and already have 5 guppies

i wanted a shark or a really cool, nice, fascinating fish

i also will hae a 55 gallon ready in about 4 weeks so i can move them there eventually if needed

2. OP
    OP
    BunnySawNothing

oh yeah i have a 55 gallon for when the angel gets bigger

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would wait until you get your 55 cycled and ready before you add angels. It will be less stressful for them to go straight into their final tank rather than go into a smaller tank first, and you can better stock your 20 gal without them in there. If you put angels into your 20 gal, there's not room for anything else.

4. OP
    OP
    BunnySawNothing

I plan on putting only one angel in the 20 for now and wait till it grows bigger before i put it in the 55 gallon. the ones at the LFS are probs 4 inches long. By the time it grows bigger would probs be like 5 months. Are you sure i cant get the angel before the 55 is cycled ??

going by an inch per gallon they take up 6 so wouldnt 12 inches be left?

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

The gallons per inch rule doesn't work. I would wait until the 55 gallon is cycled. The 20 gallon is too small for an angel and could get stunted in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. TexasDomer

Agreed with above. You can add multiple angels to the 55 gal, depending on what else you want in there.

7. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed with the above posts. Most types of "sharks" redtail, rainbow, bala, apollo, etc, are way too big for a 20 gallon, so no to those.

8. OP
    OP
    BunnySawNothing

ok so angels are done but are there any fascinating/cool looking/really interesting fish i could add

hmm i was planning cichlids in 55 but are there any that would work with angels?

9. TexasDomer

A pair of rams or kribensis would work.

10. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yes, rams would work in a 55 with angels, as would kribs. I would only do 1 krib though, a pair of rams would work. A pair of warm water apistos would work too. As would rainbow cichlids....and others.

11. OP
    OP
    BunnySawNothing

k but what about the 20?

12. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Is this a 20 long or 20 high?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. OP
    OP
    BunnySawNothing