Help me with a Hawaiian biotope.

1. Kwig Well Known Member Member

So, I'm starting to get the itch to jump into saltwater aquariums. I'm just here to ask a million questions and get my equipment list and stock plan together well in advance.
    I know it is advised for a beginning saltwater tank to be larger, but I'd really love to try a 20 gallon long. I'm interested in inverts, blennies, gobies, and maybe some very small reef safe fish.
    I am open to all suggestions regarding livestock and corals, and equipment.
    I want good quality but also don't have unlimited resources.
    I'm also looking for recommendations and general info on RO/DI systems as I've never used one before.

If possible, I'd like to do a Hawaiian biotope, as my son's father is from Hawaii and it would sure help me to explain setting up ANOTHER tank, haha.
    I have 4 aquariums, all planted freshwater. A 3.7 gallon, a 5.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, and an 85 gallon with sump and automatic dosing pump for ferts. I use all LED lighting. I'm hoping that some of this experience will translate well and help ease me into saltwater.
    If you were trying to set up a 20 gallon long reef Hawaiian biotope, with attention to inverts and bottom dwellers, what sort of things would be a must buy for you?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. Kwig Well Known Member Member

Thanks. I'm sure these posts are tired, and I know that this one is demanding but hoping people can help with one question at a time!

4. Kwig Well Known Member Member

Slug ? Any input would be fantastic, your nano is so inspiring.

5. Slug Well Known Member Member

Hard for me to help much here. Wish I could say I've been to Hawaii. It's on the list for one day....

Your best bet would be to look here. First section on each category should be native Hawaii species. Problem would be finding some of the stuff you want or that could fit well in that tank. If you had a large tank it would be easy, yellow tangs.
    http://www.marinelifephotography.com/fishes/fishes.htm
    http://www.marinelifephotography.com/marine/marine.htm

I think you would be smart to focus more on inverts here, though fire dartfish and some other small fish might work. It's basically take your pick type of shrimp as most can be found there. Same with Urchins, Crabs, etc. Coral wise it's usually polyps, types of leather, and then montipora and Pocillopora for hard corals.

Wish I could help more, I'm just not to versed here.

6. Kwig Well Known Member Member

I need loads of help with equipment recommendations as well, you seem to know your gadgets at least :)
    I'm hugely into inverts anyway so that works for me.
    I may drop the biotope idea for now, and just focus on getting my feet wet with easier corals. I can always revisit the biotope idea later when perhaps a bigger tank is an option. I had a hard enough time setting up the 85 fresh without getting kicked out of the house, haha.
    I'm already familiar with the Jebao dosing pump, will probably grab another as I'm a busy mom to a 18 month old. I have a Fluval LED fixture somewhere in the garage that I got in a trade, I believe it's 24-30" or so, it's for marine but I have to find the box to get specs. I'll likely need to upgrade when I start with my first frags though, so need suggestions there too. Will probably look more into hang on refugiums as it's likely this tank won't be on a traditional aquarium stand. I don't know which RO/DI systems to use. Do I demineralize the water or does the salt add mostly everything I need (at least pre corals, this will be FOWLR initially)?
    Does everyone have brand preference for salt? This is definitely uncharted territory.
    Will check out the links now, thanks for your help :)