Help Me...what Could Have Done This?!?!

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wish I had taken a photo. One of my goldfish was acting unwell for several days. He began showing signs of dropsy so I netted him out and noticed two areas of his body that released bloody fluid when gently squeezed. I opted to put him out of his misery, then did my usual fishy autopsy, and the results sickened me. I was too upset to think to save it to show anyone. Most of his flesh was like mush, and I had a very hard time finding any organs. The destroyed meat had white lumps all over inside it. I assume it was a parasite that burrowed in and laid eggs, but what kind and how do I get rid of it before it kills any more of my fish?!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Eienna said:
I wish I had taken a photo. One of my goldfish was acting unwell for several days. He began showing signs of dropsy so I netted him out and noticed two areas of his body that released bloody fluid when gently squeezed. I opted to put him out of his misery, then did my usual fishy autopsy, and the results sickened me. I was too upset to think to save it to show anyone. Most of his flesh was like mush, and I had a very hard time finding any organs. The destroyed meat had white lumps all over inside it. I assume it was a parasite that burrowed in and laid eggs, but what kind and how do I get rid of it before it kills any more of my fish?!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!
Yikes . Do you have a public aquarium or university with a veterinary program nearby? They might be able to pinpoint the exact agent. Take photos for sure. If there is a chance professional eyes can take a look, save the remains by refrigeration.

In the meantime, a course of General Cure or other wormer may be in order. At least as a first line of defense.

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wish I had saved the body and taken pictures!! I was so upset I didn't think of it until too late T_T the body's been flushed.
I've already wormed these fish with Prazipro and Levamisole before, but I may try it again...I'm thinking Coppersafe is probably my best bet at this point. Pretty sure it's not bacterial or fungal.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know this is traumatic, but if you can write up as detailed a report of your observations, it still may be of use to a fish veterinarian .

I would certainly try emailing my local aquarium for guidance.

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't know how to be any more detailed. Blood came out from under his raised scales when I pressed gently, and when I opened him up it looked like something had totally chewed up his insides. Almost like if you had put the meat in a blender briefly. The small white lumps didn't move but they were all over attached to the ruined meat.

KakeHugs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Eienna said:
I don't know how to be any more detailed. Blood came out from under his raised scales when I pressed gently, and when I opened him up it looked like something had totally chewed up his insides. Almost like if you had put the meat in a blender briefly. The small white lumps didn't move but they were all over attached to the ruined meat.
Ouch, so sorry for your loss! I have never done an autopsy but I can only imagine! Sounds like something Ive heard before on a video before but I couldn't remember the name even if I tried ): Try doing an in-depth google search if you havent already and look up unusual fish diseases and parasites on youtube maybe?

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
KakeHugs said:
Ouch, so sorry for your loss! I have never done an autopsy but I can only imagine! Sounds like something Ive heard before on a video before but I couldn't remember the name even if I tried ): Try doing an in-depth google search if you havent already and look up unusual fish diseases and parasites on youtube maybe?
Worth a shot

I think I've found my culprit. Clostridium difficile. I'll have to be very careful - I don't want to be next. Treatment is metronidazole.

The whitish lumps looked just like those in the article

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's peculiar that a human gut bacteria would appear as a fish infection, though. Maybe I should contact the CDC? It might be something they should know about, especially since this bacteria is a close relative of the one that causes botulism.

I wouldn't normally go for it, but I have so far failed to find a match in any fish database. I'm seriously regretting not saving the remains.

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OK SO
My metronidazole should be here today.
Gonna make some medicated fish food. None of the others are currently showing advanced symptoms (though one of them is acting a bit off...) so hopefully I can get them over this before losing any others. I'll keep this thread updated. If I lose any more I'm going to make a video of their condition.

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay...update....I have identified it, sadly, as mycobacteria. I hoped that it was aeromonas, but it did not respond to treatment with a kanaplex/furan-2 synergistic blend including salt; it only kept getting worse and slowly showing up in more fish. I had to destroy my entire setup, and start completely over. It's heartbreaking...but I've rebuilt before and I can do it again. I intend only to buy from higher-end places from now on, hopefully avoiding untreatable diseases like this last one, but it will take me a long time on my budget. I was able to buy one new fish so far, a fantastic black-and-white Oranda from Coast Gem. I'm really happy with it. I hope I can get him a friend in July.

I think I still have my darling Bubbles in the freezer. I will open the body later so I can show you guys what it looks like. Warning, it's horrible.

Just wanna show off my new boy here...I need to start a new tank thread...
and YES, this is only quarantine - NOT my main tank (which I'm in the process of getting ready for its first new fish,)

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
oh no, im so sorry about your fish glad you were able to find out what it is though! i hope it doesnt happen again. that is a pretty fish.

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
midna said:
oh no, im so sorry about your fish glad you were able to find out what it is though! i hope it doesnt happen again. that is a pretty fish.
Thank you. <3

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom