Help Me Turn This Around, Before It’s Too Late! Help

1. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

Back on April 1 (no kidding!), We got our first betta.
    Here’s what he looked like when we got him settled in his new digs: a planted 10 gallon hex tank.
    FB80B86A-09E9-4D10-A7B9-70D2CD1340FA.jpeg A11BC168-54D5-4D7C-99E4-D6FE870CB98B.jpeg
    Now, almost 2 months later he doesn’t look so hot.
    600287FF-1949-47D5-A3A8-CC3E7B0E8607.jpeg
    9A09E7AA-6ADB-4453-ACA5-40297D6CEAB4.jpeg
    It’s clear he’s losing a lot of pigmentation, especially on his dorsal and caudal fins. I presume this is the early stages of fin rot? However, based on other threads that I’ve read, it’s early days still. So I’m looking for treatment recommendations.
    The tank was jumpstarted using a cycled sponge from an established tank. Parameters are 0, 0, <10. 78F, pH 7.5. Filtration is sponge only. I change 3gal(30%)/week.
    Snails are his only tankmates, which, at least when we’ve had the chance to observe, he ignores utterly.
    Feeding is 2x daily, small dash of betta bug bites morning and eve, and about half dozen Hikari betta pellets in eve also. All are consumed with alacrity. 1 bloodworm once per week.
    Also, does it mean anything if the tips of his pelvic fans appear to be clubbed, or curling back on themselves, just a bit?
    TIA!!

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Never kept bettas but for fin rot i just do daily 50% water changes to keep the water as pristine as possible and its always been enough without meds for me.

3. KakeHugs

KakeHugs Well Known Member Member

I don't see any fin rot. I think too many people jump to the conclusion their betta has fin rot. As someone whos had hundreds of bettas Ive never had a fish develop fin rot in my care. They find ways to ruin their fins, trust me. It just looks like hes growing in.

4. OP
    OP
    bitseriously

Hey @katehugs can you help me understand your perspective/opinion a bit? I also just want to confirm that you're looking at the fresh bright pics as predating the faded and splotchy pics (predating = 'being from an earlier date', not 'hunting and eating' :p) .
    I hear what you're saying about finding ways to ruin fins, but what do you mean by "growing in"? He's clearly losing colour and although the dorsal especially doesn't have any actual holes or tears in the fins, there are windows of no colour, where clearly there was colour before.
    Thx!!

5. KakeHugs

KakeHugs Well Known Member Member

Sure!
    In the "before" pics, I do see some clear spots in his dorsal fin, I think since he got older and the colors darkened it just got more noticable. I think that's just a part of his markings since he does seem to be a blue cellophane butterfly.
    By growing in I mean his adult colors. I don't see him losing color, I just seem him getting darker and making those clear patches stand out more.
    I think this photo will help distinguish your boy vrs one with fin rot since theyre both cellophane at the end of their fins. Your boy has black ends, but that looks like his coloration. Anything goes with bettas, theres no rules with how they mature with their colors. Most bettas gain more colors as they age but there are some who actually develop different.
    [​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    bitseriously

@katehugs So grateful for explanation and pic!
    So basically; monitor, maintain/improve water quality (say, add 1-2 smaller mid week changes), continue to feed well.
    Right?
    Thx!!

7. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

I do see that he had fin rot, however it looks like it has healed. So sometime between april and now he had it. As you can see, the fins appear rolled over and thick on the ends. Just keep up with water changes, and you could help by adding in some indian almond leaves. As for the color changing, he probably has a marble gene in him which means he goes through a major color change in his life time.

8. OP
    OP
    bitseriously

Thanks @DutchAquarium When you say he had fin rot, which pic are u seeing that in? The first ones I posted in #1 are when he was new, and finnage looks beautiful then. At least to me.
    It’s the second pair that had/has me worried. Those are current, as in yesterday. The lighting is quite different (sorry) so base colour will seem variable.
    Thx!!

9. D

the first picture i see where he has fin rot is the second picture where he is bright blue. It looks like he had a pretty bad case during that time. Just know that he will be more prone to getting fin rot now and should be watched. Indian almond leaves are antifungals and really help with these things. Even considering the lights also, i think a marble gene is present comparing the last and first picture.

10. OP
    OP
    bitseriously

That time is NOW! Ack.
    To be sure, you mean here, right? upload_2018-5-23_20-26-23.jpeg

11. D

that is one of the areas, I would also say his anal fin is really bad also. I also see a bit on the tail fin.