Help me think up plant grow out ponds

AcornTheBetta

Hi all!
I am thinking/trying to convince my parents to let me get some ponds (100+ gallon bin things) to grow plant and sell them. I have quite a few questions about how I should go about doing this. Ok so I think I should start with questions about the bins in general. So my first question is what bins should I use? Could I make DIY pond thinks by stretching pond liner in a PVC frame? Any other DIY options? Ok so my next problem is that I live in an area where there is a lot of wild life present that could mess with my plant or equipment. So my idea was to put posts in the ground and then basically make a chicken coop run around the plants so nothing is getting in. Good idea or bad idea? Ok so my next question has to do with equipment. How would I heat this pond so that it doesn't get too cold for the plants? I am going to filter these ponds with this canister filter and probably a power head to prevent stagnant water. For substrate, I was thinking of doing dirt capped with sand since it would be cheap for an operation of this size and it grows plants as well as aquasoil. Do you think that is the best choice? Ok, now for the fun part, the plants. What plants do you guys think would do best in this kind of setup? I was thinking of doing a fast growing tub, a slower growing tub, and then a short floating plant tub. The fast tub would have stuff like guppy grass, hornwort, anacharis and the slow tub would have crypts, small swords, dwarf sag. the Floating thing would have salvinia and amazon frogbit. My last question is: Where should I sell these plants? Thanks!

NevermindIgnoreMe

Tuffstuff feed bins from tractor supplies are cheap, fish-safe, and sturdy. I like your setup. I've not researched it, but at first glance anyways seems like a good plan.

Edit: Feed troughs in general are pretty big. I bet you could be able to find several adequate options.

Upvote 0

Vishaquatics

You might be interested in doing something that resembles the ponds of dustinsfishtanks. Check out his recent youtube videos, especially the ones about his greenhouse:
Dustin's Fish Tanks

You will likely have the greatest success growing floating plants (make sure you get California legal plants). Plants can be sold on eBay, Etsy, this forum, reddit, locally to your LFS, local club auctions, facebook, etc.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

You might be interested in doing something that resembles the ponds of dustinsfishtanks. Check out his recent youtube videos, especially the ones about his greenhouse:
Dustin's Fish Tanks

You will likely have the greatest success growing floating plants (make sure you get California legal plants). Plants can be sold on eBay, Etsy, this forum, reddit, locally to your LFS, local club auctions, facebook, etc.
May I ask why I would do better with floaters than other plants?

Upvote 0

Vishaquatics

Floaters grow fast, they're much easier to manage, and they have access to atmospheric CO2 so you'll have healthier growth more robust growth.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Floaters grow fast, they're much easier to manage, and they have access to atmospheric CO2 so you'll have healthier growth more robust growth.
Do you have any tips for shipping? What do you charge for different floaters? Do you charge shipping?

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Sorry I didn’t respond to your pm! Super busy day with school, and most of my posting was on a thread about a sick tortoise. I’ll include my tips in the pm’s.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

What do you guys think I should stock with for insect control? I was thinking live bearers as they would help with any algae that could form...

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jeezusjuiicee
  • coolio3991
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
coolio3991
Replies
Views