Help me stock my tank!

Marissa.knuf

Hello! I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that is in need of stocking. All my fish have lived out their days in their tanks and have either been rehomed or died of old age. I am looking to put one or maybe two large fish in it. I would be open to 2 if it would be better for the fish, but im mainly interested in putting one fish in there. Im looking for something big that might have some personality. I've been doing research and haven't found much yet, and i know this is for sure the best community to ask! The tank has drift wood and two big plants in it, but i could remove that if necessary.

seamonkeything

Personally, it would be great if you started a chiclid tank. What most people dont do with their 40 gallon breeders is making it into a species tank. A single large south american chiclid would make a highly personable pet and give full attention only to you. You would not need to worry about aggression because your chiclid is going to be housed alone, which takes plenty of stress off of your shoulders.

Upvote 0

Marissa.knuf

Personally, it would be great if you started a chiclid tank. What most people dont do with their 40 gallon breeders is making it into a species tank. A single large south american chiclid would make a highly personable pet and give full attention only to you. You would not need to worry about aggression because your chiclid is going to be housed alone, which takes plenty of stress off of your shoulders.
I think that sounds really good! what kind would you think?

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Fancy goldfish get my vote.

Upvote 0

seamonkeything

NOT AN OSCAR, but what you can get for a 40 gallon species tank could be either a Green Terror (female), Salvini chiclid, or maybe a breeding pair of convicts.

Upvote 0

altwitch

Have a 40g breeder at work and stocked it with Opaline gouramis, gold barbs, some otos and siamese catfish and snails. Later I added one sizable angel and am pretty much done. The other way to go with a tank that size is multiple smaller schoolers but sounds like you want a centerpiece fish and for me was the gouramis. In a 40 you could go with about 5x rainbows like turquoise or irian red rainbows as well as they are of comparable size. Check them out if you like and see if any of those suggestions work.

Upvote 0

blennylover2323

blood parrots are my favourite and you could get one in a 40 gallon!!

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

I am enjoying my pair of female electric Blue acara. They live peacefully with loaches , a bristlnose pleco. an Austrailian rainbows.
A geophagus topajos, might be fun instead of acara, I did some research on them recently but I have no experiance.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Nataku
Replies
Views
Revan
  • Question
Replies
Views