Help me stock my tank

1. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Hi all!

So... yeah. I have this 8 gallon tank. It's one of the cubeish penn plax parallel tanks. It currently houses the last of my red tiger endler breeding project, all of whom are being euthanized sometime this week (I finally got more supplies to accomplish this... now I just need the guts). I love the way this tank looks and really would like to continue to use it, of course after sanitizing the heck out of it and letting it sit dry indefinitely.

I have a few ideas of what I'd ideally like to do with it. The first and most appealing to me is an Indian biotope. This would contain pea puffers (unsure how many, but possibly just a male/female pair) and a pair of Scarlet Badis or a similarly sized Dario sp (hysignon? I love the look of those guys). IF I do both species, the tank will literally have so many plants that one couldn't see the bottom looking in from the top and couldn't see the sides or back from the opposite glass face, to accomodate both species' aggression. I have a second tank I can move the Scarlet Badis to if I see too much picking going on. I also have assorted live food cultures available since these fish are all super picky eaters. Hopefully I could eventually train them onto frozen foods, but if they never end up taking them, I can deal with that.

The second option is a pair or trio of Bumblebee Gobies, assuming I can find one of the dwarf species. I would slowly acclimate them to brackish water as most are kept in freshie tanks. This will mean fixing up one of my HOB filters since gobies have comparatively large bioloads and most of the plants for a brackish tank that I can grow are fairly slow growers.

The third option is a pair or trio of multies. The issue I have with this is that most of the plants for a Lake Tangiyanka (sp?) tank get way too large for my 8 gallon. So I'd have to nix the idea of a biotope and just plant it with whatever. That's fine, though I do tend to love the feel of keeping a fish with native plants. Oh well, worse has happened.

What do you guys think is the best option for the tank? I know option 1 is the most challenging, but I am up for it so don't rule it out just based on that. ;)

2. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

DP= dwarf puffer/ pea puffer
    Hi! I love your pea puffer idea! A male/female pair sounds good and I think it would be best for your tank:) I think that should be all though because aggressive fish should NOT be mixed with other fish of different species. Also it would be overcrowded if you put more fish in because DP need 3 gal each Although you can try a few ghost shrimp (they might become midnight snacks though;)) for som help with tank maintenance:) I think they would do great and look beautiful in a planted aquarium like your 8 gallon:) I would seriously consider a pair of these amazing fish !!!! I will post a link to a wonderful article on these amazing fish:
    http://tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Puffers/PeaPuffer.asp

if you have any questions about DPs I can totally help, post, leave a comment on my profile or private message me:)# I'm a puffer nut:eek:

Best of luck!

i love my puffer

3. OP
    OP
    junebug

I forgot the fourth option... a pair of Peacock Gudgeons or similarly sized fish. Also in a heavily planted Aussie tank.

I haven't looked much into Australian biotopes so I have no idea what, if any, other fish might be suitable for this tank if I went the Gudgeon route.
    I love my puffer - would you be able to comment on the gallons per puffer rule? Is it because of bioload, aggression, or the space they take up if/when they puff? I'd love to know which it is. Assuming I went the full indian biotope route, the Scarlet Badis, if you're not familiar with them, are generally less than an inch long with extremely low bioloads. I planned to stock them as I would a shrimp or snail colony, as my googling has indicated the bioload of two scarlet badis would be similar to that of a cleaner colony. Also they are territorially aggressive and occupy almost exclusively the bottom of the tank, preferring to live amongst dense vegetation. I wonder if the puffers would ever even see them lol.

I stated this in a prior thread - I don't generally recommend puffers for anything but a species tank. Even then, more than one is a gamble. I have a 5 gallon tank available if it doesn't work out, and I can move the Badis to that one if need be. I'm just curious on what I might expect if I decide to give it a try.

4. I love my puffer

Puffing shouldn't be a problem as they use this as their last defense and you should be fine because of your well planted tank. A single or opposite gender pair should work, mabey with a small, lay low companion like a snail or some GS. These fish are amazing to keep! I love mine solo much! They have amazing personality s! Definetly worth a try:)

Please let me know what you do and if you have any questions!

I love my puffer

Sent from my XT1030 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. I love my puffer

They need 3 gal or more each for all the reasons you specified (except puffing). I would try 1 pea puffer and onebadis and see how it goes;) Mabey with a couple ghost shrimp. Also you must feed your puffer hard shell food-snails,GS, etc. to keep your puffs teeth short;)

Please let me know what yo do :)
    any questions just ask;)

I love my puffer

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I've never kept puffers but I have had Scarlet Badis & they're very shy fish spending most of their time hovering amongst the plants so with a puffer in the tank I doubt you'd see much of them.
    Although they're tiny fish the males are territorial you'd just about have room for two, females are very drab in colour & over here they're very rarely if ever imported because of that. If you can find females then one male & a couple of females would work in a tank your size but again with the puffer if it takes exception to them you may have problems.

7. I love my puffer

I think a badis and a puffer (dwarf) would do just fine in a heavily planted 8 gal. Its a mini version of what you originally wanted to do;)

Sent from my XT1030 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. OP
    OP
    junebug

If I can source a sexed pair of Scarlet Badis and a confirmed male puffer, I'm probably going to try the original plan. If it doesn't work out, the puffers get the 8 gallon as their bioload is higher and the scarlet badis will move to their own private 5 gallon in my bedroom, which they will probably love.

I might also have to set up yet another tank for a group of true xanthomelas bumblebee gobies, if and when they become available in the states. Because they are basically the CUTEST fish EVER.

9. I love my puffer

That sounds great! Keep me updated and tell me how it goes !!!!!:)