Help me stock my tank with beautiful, interesting fish!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by annewaldron, Apr 23, 2012.

1. annewaldron

annewaldron Valued Member Member

I've got a 30 gallon long. Building a stand for it so I'm a couple weeks out from getting it set up.

I'm doing a planted tank, and will be using proper lighting and a fluval 206 filter.

My must-have fish is the Gold German Ram (and I love the blue rams too). I'd love to have 4 or 5 or so of them plus other compatible fish. I'm really committed to making this a beautiful tank, but first committed to making it a healthy, happy tank.

What kinds of other fish could I do with them and how many?

I know size matters, so it's probably hard to say what a "max number" would be.

If you were starting with GGRs, how would YOU stock your 30 gal?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi annewaldron, welcome to Fishlore :;hi1

:animal0068: I have moved your question to the Aquarium Stocking Questions forum, hopefully you'll get some answers soon.

Cheers,
    Ryan

3. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

p.s. I have a couple pieces of twisty mopani wood that I'd love to see something swim around/through

(Sorry, I'd been spending so much time in the beginners forum, I forgot to consider there might be a more appropriate forum for my question- thanks for moving this)

4. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

Since this thread is sinking, I'll start.

What about:
    4 gold german rams
    3 german blue rams
    5 harlequin/espei rasboras
    1 cory

Too many?

5. N

Nieveso New Member Member

Add 6 albino convicts too

6. greenbeanette

greenbeanette Valued Member Member

Seriously?

I'd do 1-2 pairs of rams (since they need space for territory)
    6 cories
    8-10 khuli loaches or a BN pleco
    2 schools of tetras/rasboras 8-10 (take your pick)
    a centerpiece fish, maybe a dwarf gourami

7. N

if you can find some really nice ones :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  8. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

Are you suggesting 6 cories for their cleanup ability? I'm not the hugest fan of cories (although the sterbai Cory is interesting)

9. greenbeanette

I suggested them because you had one on the list :) They like to be in groups so just one would get lonely.

10. N

He dosent have enough room fOr all that though If you have too many big cities they will get territorial

If You want 6 big ones he will need a 75G tank but it should be fine when they are babies

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  11. ryanr

I'm also intrigued :;sh

Convicts are not considered community fish, nor would I recommend putting 6 in a 30G. Whilst our profile says a 20G minimum, Cichlids (in general) are territorial. Convicts are no exception. (https://www.fishlore.com/profile-convictcichlid.htm)

For the OP - rams seem to do pretty well with most of the community fish, many of the tetras, rasboras etc. I would probably stay away from larger community fish, such as (some of the) gouramis. The GGR would be your centrepiece (and they're very cool IMO)

Hope that helps.

12. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

uh no. 6 cons in a 30g would be really bad news. i have a pair in a 75g, with 2 small firemouths...and they own the tank. when not in breeding mode, they're better...but still.

in a 30g i would stick to only one species of bottom dweller. kuhllis or cories. imo there isn't *that* much room for both. cories are very cute :)

while rams are much more peaceful than other cichlids....they do have their moments for sure. so you'll want to make sure you don't over stock them, so they have enough room to spread out and have territories.

a nice looking schooling fish, like harlequin rasboras, would look nice...esp with plants. you could prob have 10 of them, only if there aren't any other schoolers in there. i'm not sure if you wanted more than one species.

13. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I'm a huge cory and kuhli lover, so would definitely vote for either of those but don't think the tank can support both.

I've always considered rams as centerpiece fish, so not sure I'd find another species necessary for that position (although I have no personal experience with rams).

One of my favorite kinds of tanks is one with various schools in it. I have ember tetras, rummynose tetras and white cloud mountain minnows that school together in my community and it's a pretty picture when they do so.

14. greenbeanette

I was thinking because it's a long tank, they could fit both?

Edit: ok. So, updated list because I don't want to give poor advice lol
    1-2 pairs of rams
    6 cories or 8-10 khulis or a BN pleco
    2 schools of tetras/rasboras

15. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

So is it best to consider Rams in pairs? What about 3 of one variety and 2 of another?

When you say schools of rasboras, what number are you thinking?

I think I'd rather stick with 2 or 3 Corys, tops.

So:
    3 GGRs
    2 GBRs
    1-2 schools of rasboras (how many?)
    1-2 sterbai cory
    1 bandit cory

How does that sound? Is there another colorful fish I could consider instead of the rasbora? (I'm thinking along the lines of cardinal tetra but bigger)

16. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Corys need members of their own species in their group. A minimum of 3 per species is okay, but 5 is better.

Tetra schools should be minimum of 8, but the more the merrier.

17. ryanr

Oooh, IMO, I probably wouldn't mix rams.

A mated pair would be fine, otherwise a minimum 1M:2F ratio so that one female doesn't get constantly harrassed. :;dk (not 100% sure on ratio)

Not sure on alternatives to rasboras.... cardinal tetras are some of the larger tetras, maybe black skirts, or black neons

18. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

How many would be in a school of rasboras?

19. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

GBRs, gold rams and electric blue rams can be mixed, but I wouldn't do more than three rams in a 30gal, and of the three only 1male.

20. ryanr

Thanks Lexi - I wasn't 100% sure

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice