Help me stock my 46 gallon

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm planning on setting up my 10 gallon (to be used as a QT) and 46 gallon Bowfront today. That is if they don't leak since they have been in the attic for about 3 yrs. I know I've got quite a wait while it cycles so I'm doing my research on what I want to stock with while I wait. My focus is on the 46, of course. I've had several different types of fish before. Mostly peaceful dwellers. I'm thinking I'd like to go more semi-aggressive this time. Some things I'm considering:

An African Cichlid tank OR
A single Blood Parrot (do they do ok without another BP in the tank? I'd love a pair but not sure that I have a big enough tank PLUS some type of dither fish) and some dither fish. OR
Two pairs of German Rams, otos, and some type of schooling fish, maybe some cories (not exactly semi-aggressive but I still like)

Other fish I like:
Red Tail Shark or Rainbow Shark (just one)
Tiger Barbs
Gourami

I think I'm really drawn to the BP's so I'd love some opinions on one in a 46 gallon.

jwhorner6

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

I am not going to be much help since i have no experience with african cichlids or german rams. So i can't give you any advice on those.

Your 46 gallon is big enough for a single blood parrot with some dither fish such as giant danios or something else big enough to not be eaten. I also feel that you could have 2 blood parrots in your tank but it wouldn't really leave any room for a dither fish. BP's can be kept singly but you do notice more of their goofy behavior if there is more than one.

RTS and RS would def. not work in your tank. Each one of those would need at least a 55 gallon. A lot of people with experience with them recommend a minimum of 75 gallon.

I know you could def. keep a pair of german blue rams but I just do not know their personality to say whether more than 1 pair would be acceptable. There are more members on here with much more experience in that area that will be along to help you shortly though i'm sure.

midnamoondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good luck stocking! I just got a 37g tall tank and thought "so much spaaace", well it turns out there's way less space in the fish-world than I thought. I'd say think small, research and wait. Good luck stocking, I'll be watching your thread

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alright then. RTS and rainbow is out.
Going to fish store today to check out what's available.

gcase14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Greetings,

I wouldn't suggest 2 pair of GBRs because they can be territorial and bow fronts are generally taller with less floor space than traditional 46 gallon tanks. But if your tank is at least 44 inches across the front it could work. If you go with GBRs and ottos maybe consider some live plants to assist in water quality control because both need good water conditions to thrive. You probably want to keep about 5 otos together. Cories would work as well, but you would probably want to keep a school of 6 cories. I'm not sure how you feel about angels, but it might be a nice addition to your tank to add a freshwater angel as the signature fish with the GBRs. For some good added color, maybe a school of cardinal tetra. So if I had your tank I might want to stock it:

2 German Blue Ram
1 Freshwater Angelfish
5 Otos
6 Cories
6 Cardinal Tetra or Possibly Cherry Barb

After typing that out I realized you'd have a good population in the top and bottom areas of the tank but not many species to swin in the middle. Which may be important since bow front tend to be taller. Maybe consider some cherry barbs instead of cardinal tetras. Good Luck!

G

nippybetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My angelfish inhabit the middle of the tank more than the top. I think that you should get 12 schooler fish instead of 6, because you have room, and they like larger groups. The angelfish is a great idea, and would also like plants. I think with that stocking list you'll have plenty of fish hanging around in all the levels of the tank.

You could also consider some kind of shrimp. I have amano shrimp in my 75 gallon, and they're very cool. Just make sure that your tank has plenty of hiding places for when they're molting, if you're going to get them.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
gcase14 said:
Greetings,

I wouldn't suggest 2 pair of GBRs because they can be territorial and bow fronts are generally taller with less floor space than traditional 46 gallon tanks. But if your tank is at least 44 inches across the front it could work. If you go with GBRs and ottos maybe consider some live plants to assist in water quality control because both need good water conditions to thrive. You probably want to keep about 5 otos together. Cories would work as well, but you would probably want to keep a school of 6 cories. I'm not sure how you feel about angels, but it might be a nice addition to your tank to add a freshwater angel as the signature fish with the GBRs. For some good added color, maybe a school of cardinal tetra. So if I had your tank I might want to stock it:

2 German Blue Ram
1 Freshwater Angelfish
5 Otos
6 Cories
6 Cardinal Tetra or Possibly Cherry Barb

After typing that out I realized you'd have a good population in the top and bottom areas of the tank but not many species to swin in the middle. Which may be important since bow front tend to be taller. Maybe consider some cherry barbs instead of cardinal tetras. Good Luck!

G
Hmmm. I actually like this stock list very much. I never considered an angel because I didn't think I had the vertical space for them. And wouldn't it get big enough to eat my otos?

How are angels personality wise? Are they personable?

Oh, and my tank is 37 inches wide. 20 inches tall

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jwhorner6 said:
RTS and RS would def. not work in your tank. Each one of those would need at least a 55 gallon. A lot of people with experience with them recommend a minimum of 75 gallon.
So I checked out the LFS's today just to see what caught my eye and then I could come home to research while I wait. I just so love the RTS. Why is my tank too small for one? They don't seem to get that big. So is it more of an aggression/territory issue?

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you already filled? I'd re-silicone those seams first. Attics get very hot and I'd be concerned about leaks.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, I haven't filled yet. It's set up in place but haven't had the time to clean it up, add substrate, and fill it. Plus I can't find my Python (another thing I think I must have give away) to use to add the water. I'm NOT using buckets to fill that sucker up.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads