Help Me Stock A 55g Biotope?

1. n

neophyteneon New Member Member

I'm trying to set up my first ever tank bigger than a 10g (for fish), and I'd really really appreciate some help. I have enough basic knowledge but don't really know where to start with it all :) I'd like to start with stocking and move on into picking plants, decorations, etc, from the needs and looks of the fish.

I've always dreamt about a south-asian rice paddy biotope. I want some variation in colors and body types, and to fill out the whole tank from top-occupiers to bottom feeders. Primarily I'm very invested in a type of wild betta sorority. Betta Smaragdina and Betta Prima are two of my favorites but I vibe with all of them. I also love corys (any south asian types), most colorful schooling fish blow my mind, ricefish are great, and perhaps some aquatic frogs or inverts that fit into a paddy. I'll really take any suggestions! Thank you so much :)

2. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Ohhh harlequin rasboras, and kuhli loaches and rosy loaches are from the same area. In a tank that size you could have some AMAZING schools of both.

If you go with wild Bettas you don't need to do a sorority you can keep males and females together.

You want TONS of Vals and other tall grasslike plants. Like TONS and a floating plant to shade down below.

Personally in a tank that size I would do about 6 wild caught betta, 12 harlequin rasboras, 6 kuhli and 8 rosy loaches.

3. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

i would do black fluorite for aquariums to make everything POP. definitely some driftwood! for live plants some java moss, amazon sword, java fern, and some anubias nana. If your doing fake plants i would do green tall ones blue/purple medium ones and some dark green little ones. for fish: 4 smaragdina female bettas, 3 betta prima, 4 emrald green corydoras, and maybe 5 or 6 Harlequin Rasboras. For invertebrates i would do a jade gold and ivory/albino mystery snails or perhaps some ghost shrimp. if you get the fish and invertabrates listed above i highly recommend a live planted tank. make sure you do the nitrogen cycle.
    Post pictures when its done!

also some duckweed would look great in the tank!

4. OP
    OP
    n

neophyteneon New Member Member

Definitely going to be live plants. I'm ready for the challenge haha! I was for sure thinking of harlequin because I think they're so awesome. Snails and ghost shrimp are lovely and would both definitely be cool contrasts of color in such a greenish brownish setting like this I think. Prima really are the most beautiful things aren't they? I like the emerald green corys suggestion too, but there are a lot of species of cats I really like- any other suggestions there?

Aren't kuhli really high current fish? I don't think betta would like that a whole lot

5. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Kuhlis actually prefer slow moving/no moving water. So they are a great pick, and actually hail from asia (cories come from south america).

Another fish i would reccomend are boraras sp.

6. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Yup, Kuhlis, Harlequins and Bettas all coexist naturally in the very same rice patty environment, that's why I suggested them. They tend to co-exist very peacefully and of all fish I have ever paired with Bettas they're the two I have never had any issues with. You could throw in some cherry shrimp and some nice snails and you'd have a really lovely tank. Just make sure there's lots of hidies for the shrimp to breed and then it won't matter if the bettas or loaches snack on one now and then.