Help me stock a 20 gallon. Wanting 1-2 fish

1. F

Fishlover64 New Member Member

I was thinking of maybe getting a 20 gallon long in the future. I have a community tank already with an aggressive type community (100g, tiger barbs, rainbow shark, peaceful little cory cats and a small juvenile common pleco). I think if I were to get a 20g I would really want just two star fish (not starfish lol) and maybe some loaches IF possible. Could I do 2 angelfish in a 20g long (I think if I remember correctly they like height) or would I be way over stocked? Could I do 1 and would he/she be lonely? What other fish could I do? I don't want a single goldfish and would prefer at least 29 gallons for a single GF. Any suggestions on what would be okay in a 20g and if I could do any bottom dwellers? Open to all suggestions!

And of course I would need to cycle the tank. I was wondering if I could use some water from my current tank to help the process speed up or if that would be a no no? I wouldn't mind waiting for the full cycle. Been there done that. It's just hard seeing all the pretties and waiting. :;smack

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

No angels - 29 gal minimum for one angelfish.

What about a 2-4 honey gouramis and 8-10 kuhli loaches?

3. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

agreed with TexasDomer

About the cycling, using water from your existing tank won't help a whole lot. The best thing to do would be to get some established media from your current tank. Depending on what you start your stocking with, you could be instantly cycled that way. You will want to monitor your levels for the first few days/weeks closely though

4. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

A 20 gal long has the same foot print as a 29 gallon tank. Why not just get the 29 and then you could do an angelfish as the centerpiece fish, as you would have the height they need and your bottom feeders. Alison:;hi1

5. OP
    OP
    F

Okay, that's what I figured. I definitely don't want to overstock. I know Angels get rather large. I'll look into the kuhli loaches. They look so pretty! I'm new to loaches.

Honey gouramis are beautiful. I didn't know I could get that many! Thank you for the suggestion!

6. OP
    OP
    F

Okay, thank you. I didn't think I could skip so many steps. I think I will let it cycle for 4 weeks and check everything out before adding any fish just to be safe. I don't want to stress out if something spikes, and certainly not the fish, of course. I stress easily over these things and though I'm sure the fish don't feed off my energy I swear I think they sometimes do. :;laughing

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you transfer seeded media over but don't add fish for 4 weeks, you need to add ammonia so the bacteria on the media don't die.

8. OP
    OP
    F

I plan to "feed" the tank fish food twice a day. Or is that overkill? I don't want to over due it. Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks in advance!

9. OP
    OP
    F

I didn't know that. Thank you! I will have to do some measuring and see if it could work. The spot I have in mind for the 20g long fits perfectly with a little wiggly room.

10. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

That would give you a lot more stocking options. Alison:;hi1

11. uncclewis

uncclewis Well Known Member Member

When my 3 angel fish grew to maturity (and were mating) and I had minimal other fish- they wanted the 75 gallon aquarium to themselves and it wasn't enough for them...