Help me sort out my tank please?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Deell, Jul 22, 2015.

1. D

Deell New Member Member

Regrettably in my ignorance I managed to kill my fish with ammonia poisoning (see my previous post). My tank is now empty, but I suspect that the guppies had ich before they died as they had white spots on their bodies. So, of course before I bring fish anywhere near the tank again, I want to make sure it's pristine and ready for them. It's just a 40litre, so I will only get a few guppies. I am going away for 10 days on Friday so please could you provide some advice as to what I should do before I go? A big water change? What about the ich? I'm not sure what the parameters are currently, I am waiting for my test kit to arrive but fairly sure they won't be too good although I've been doing daily 25% water changes for 3 days since I became aware of the issue. I intend to keep the filter and heater going but assume with no fish I will have to do fishless cycling once I'm back (any tips gratefully received)?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry you lost all your fish :(

If you're going away for 10 days in just two days, I would say to just empty and rinse out your tank for now, and just leave it alone. Start new when you get back from your trip. There's not a whole lot you can do to start a new cycle if no one's going to tend it for 10 days.

If you're confident it was ich and want to keep things running, maybe turn up your heater to 85 degrees or so and leave it and your filter running. If it was ich, it will probably be gone by the time you get back.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    D

Deell New Member Member

Thank you
    That sounds like sound advice I'll drain the tank down, rinse it out and start at square one when back.

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I like the idea of leaving the tank running at 86 degrees while you're away, best to make sure you kill off the ich before you plan for anything else. I'm also sorry for your losses, that's rough :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. OP
    OP
    D

Deell New Member Member

Thank you. This may be a stupid question but would draining the tank and rinsing it out, leaving it dry not get rid of the ich too? Soooo much to learn...

6. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

I think it probably would, if you cleaned everything thoroughly, but then you'd also be starting your cycle from scratch when you got back. If you got rid of the ich with heat, you might be able to just go ahead and add new fish when you get back.

7. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Just tossing this in, raise the temp to 88* or a bit higher, then to keep the BB fed while you are gone put 1 or 2 large raw plain shrimp in the tank & keep the filter going. I have had to fishless cycle tanks while being gone for a week or two, this works.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice