Help Me Sex My Pearl Gourami

Ryan P

Member
HI guys,

Got this pearl 2 weeks ago and still shy and skittish so took me a while to ask this question and to get a good pic.

Do I have a Male, Female or too young to tell?
 

Jake123

Member
I >>>T H I N K<<< its a girl because its kinda big
 
  • Thread Starter

Ryan P

Member
Jeka said:
I >>>T H I N K<<< its a girl because its kinda big
Ok I actually thought he/she is still small. Hes not a lot bigger than my platties right now. Although I really haven't seen a full grown in person
 

FlipFlopFishFlake

Member
I believe it is a female, do to the fact that the dorsal fin is short and rounded, and doesn't extend too near the tail, and there is very little coloration on the breasts. However, being so small, it is possible it is a male.
 

Mick Frost

Member
With the analfin being so close to the caudal fin, I'd guess male. It's kinda hard to tell though from the angle. Dorsal fins are sometimes misleading.
 

FlipFlopFishFlake

Member
Mick Frost said:
With the analfin being so close to the caudal fin, I'd guess male. It's kinda hard to tell though from the angle. Dorsal fins are sometimes misleading.
Isn't the rounded analfin a sign of a female though (versus the male's analfin which somewhat points and merges near the tail fin)

 

Mick Frost

Member
The fins will sometimes grow points very late in their development. I will concede that it's still to early to be sure.
 

FlipFlopFishFlake

Member
Mick Frost said:
The fins will sometimes grow points very late in their development. I will concede that it's still to early to be sure.
I see your point, makes sense. Thanks
 

chromedome52

Member
It's a female. It's fat with eggs, sides are bulging out way too much for a male. Dorsal is short, analfin lacks any sign of filaments, which on males will show a little bit ragged, even on young males.

It is a very nice female.
 

DoubleDutch

Member
chromedome52 said:
It's a female. It's fat with eggs, sides are bulging out way too much for a male. Dorsal is short, analfin lacks any sign of filaments, which on males will show a little bit ragged, even on young males.

It is a very nice female.
Yep. Give it some floaters !
 
  • Thread Starter

Ryan P

Member
chromedome52 said:
It's a female. It's fat with eggs, sides are bulging out way too much for a male. Dorsal is short, analfin lacks any sign of filaments, which on males will show a little bit ragged, even on young males.

It is a very nice female.
DoubleDutch said:
Yep. Give it some floaters !
I have amazon frogbits and water lettuce on my tank, all of our LFS pretty much carry young ones and haven't seen one with tankful of them that has a long dorsal fin.

So I have to keep searching really want a Male however I'm keeping this gal. So now I have to look for 1 M and 1 additional F right? or can I keep a Pair only?

Any other tip on how can I spot a male specially if we have younger ones here?

also being a female is it the reason why it's really shy, she improved since getting her but still couldn't approach the tank without her hiding but eventually comes out if I stand still.
 

DoubleDutch

Member
She is shy cause she is alone
Ryan P said:
I have amazon frogbits and water lettuce on my tank, all of our LFS pretty much carry young ones and haven't seen one with tankful of them that has a long dorsal fin.

So I have to keep searching really want a Male however I'm keeping this gal. So now I have to look for 1 M and 1 additional F right? or can I keep a Pair only?

Any other tip on how can I spot a male specially if we have younger ones here?

also being a female is it the reason why it's really shy, she improved since getting her but still couldn't approach the tank without her hiding but eventually comes out if I stand still.
 
  • Thread Starter

Ryan P

Member
DoubleDutch said:
She is shy cause she is alone
ok thank you! I'll keep searching
 
  • Thread Starter

Ryan P

Member
also is it positive that she's preggo?
 

DoubleDutch

Member
They won't get pregnant. Females have a chubbier bodyshape and can have eggs inside (gravid)
Ryan P said:
also is it positive that she's preggo?
 
  • Thread Starter

Ryan P

Member
DoubleDutch said:
They won't get pregnant. Females have a chubbier bodyshape and can have eggs inside (gravid)
ok sounds good thanks, so they can lay eggs but will not be fertilzied because there's no male right?
 

Mick Frost

Member
chromedome52 said:
It's a female. It's fat with eggs, sides are bulging out way too much for a male. Dorsal is short, analfin lacks any sign of filaments, which on males will show a little bit ragged, even on young males.

It is a very nice female.
My male DG is fatter!
Smooth analfin definitely says female though.
 

DoubleDutch

Member
She won't lay eggs without a male building a bubble best.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom