Help Me Sex My Pearl Gourami

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys,

Got this pearl 2 weeks ago and still shy and skittish so took me a while to ask this question and to get a good pic.

Do I have a Male, Female or too young to tell?
20180502_170114.jpg
20180502_170102.jpg
20180502_170030.jpg
20180502_170132.jpg
20180502_170325.jpg

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I >>>T H I N K<<< its a girl because its kinda big
Ok I actually thought he/she is still small. Hes not a lot bigger than my platties right now. Although I really haven't seen a full grown in person

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe it is a female, do to the fact that the dorsal fin is short and rounded, and doesn't extend too near the tail, and there is very little coloration on the breasts. However, being so small, it is possible it is a male.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With the analfin being so close to the caudal fin, I'd guess male. It's kinda hard to tell though from the angle. Dorsal fins are sometimes misleading.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fins will sometimes grow points very late in their development. I will concede that it's still to early to be sure.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's a female. It's fat with eggs, sides are bulging out way too much for a male. Dorsal is short, analfin lacks any sign of filaments, which on males will show a little bit ragged, even on young males.

It is a very nice female.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's a female. It's fat with eggs, sides are bulging out way too much for a male. Dorsal is short, analfin lacks any sign of filaments, which on males will show a little bit ragged, even on young males.

Yep. Give it some floaters !

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Yep. Give it some floaters !
I have amazon frogbits and water lettuce on my tank, all of our LFS pretty much carry young ones and haven't seen one with tankful of them that has a long dorsal fin.

So I have to keep searching really want a Male however I'm keeping this gal. So now I have to look for 1 M and 1 additional F right? or can I keep a Pair only?

Any other tip on how can I spot a male specially if we have younger ones here?

also being a female is it the reason why it's really shy, she improved since getting her but still couldn't approach the tank without her hiding but eventually comes out if I stand still.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She is shy cause she is alone
I have amazon frogbits and water lettuce on my tank, all of our LFS pretty much carry young ones and haven't seen one with tankful of them that has a long dorsal fin.

So I have to keep searching really want a Male however I'm keeping this gal. So now I have to look for 1 M and 1 additional F right? or can I keep a Pair only?

Any other tip on how can I spot a male specially if we have younger ones here?

also being a female is it the reason why it's really shy, she improved since getting her but still couldn't approach the tank without her hiding but eventually comes out if I stand still.

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They won't get pregnant. Females have a chubbier bodyshape and can have eggs inside (gravid)
ok sounds good thanks, so they can lay eggs but will not be fertilzied because there's no male right?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

My male DG is fatter!
Smooth analfin definitely says female though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom