Help Me Set Up This Tank, Please!

1. ChristaCat

ChristaCat Member Member

I want to get a 3.5 gal tank to house:

1-2 african dwarf frogs

And some kind of bottom feeder to clean up since they're messy eaters

What kind of bottom feeder would be best for a small tank? Preferably something that can stay by itself.

Do you think a 3.5 gal is too small for these guys? Im not planning on adding anything else.

2. Inno

Inno Member Member

If you have not got the tank already I would get a 10 gallon. I would not put a fish with 2 frog's into a 3.5 gallon tank.

I have read that the frogs don't do well with bottom feeders because of how they find food and feed.

You might be able to get away with a mystery snail.

Remember you will also need a heater and filtration.

3. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

ChristaCat Member Member

Ok, good news because Ive decided to get a 10 gal haha. Also I'm sorry about this but I have a lot of questions!

I want to move my current fish over to the 10. They're in a 6.5 right now.

Its my male crowntail betta, 4 cory cats, and 1 mystery snail. (Im about to get another snail as well)

So do you think I could add 1 or 2 frogs in with them and it'd be enough space for them to get along with the others?
    Or should I set up the 6.5 as a frog tank? Its kind of tall so I'm worried about them getting air but if I have a lot of plants and things in it, will it be ok?
    If I do set it up as a frog tank, what would be best to keep with them?

Also, assuming I put all my current fish in the 10 gal, could I add a kuhli loach as well? Or even more than 1?

Again, sorry for all the questions!

4. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

ChristaCat Member Member

Ok I decided it'd be best to get a 20 for the sake of my cories so they can have lots of space! Also I really really want to keep kuhli loaches.

Assuming I get a 20 and I have my betta, 4 cories, and 2 snails how many kuhli loaches should I add? Also should I add any more cories?

5. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferlover Well Known Member Member

Hello,
    Is the 20 gallon a high or long? If it’s a high I would recommend finishing the Cory school and keeping it to one bottom dwelling species.

If it’s a long you could probably do the kuhil loaches and corys.

I would do the Betta in a 6.5 and a single adf in a 10 gallon.

6. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

ChristaCat Member Member

It is high. A long wouldn't fit maybe? My surface is 29in long... idk if that would work. I could send pics if you want.

And I suppose you're right about the one bottom dwelling species but man those loaches are so cool. Is it wrong to just keep one or a pair?

Also I'm not interested in splitting my tank up. But, once I get the 20 I want to keep my 6.5 as a frog, puffer or a dwarf crayfish tank.