Help Me Set Up This Tank, Please!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ChristaCat, May 16, 2018.

1. ChristaCat

ChristaCat Valued Member Member

I want to get a 3.5 gal tank to house:

1-2 african dwarf frogs

And some kind of bottom feeder to clean up since they're messy eaters

What kind of bottom feeder would be best for a small tank? Preferably something that can stay by itself.

Do you think a 3.5 gal is too small for these guys? Im not planning on adding anything else.

2. Inno

Inno Valued Member Member

If you have not got the tank already I would get a 10 gallon. I would not put a fish with 2 frog's into a 3.5 gallon tank.

I have read that the frogs don't do well with bottom feeders because of how they find food and feed.

You might be able to get away with a mystery snail.

Remember you will also need a heater and filtration.

3. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

Ok, good news because Ive decided to get a 10 gal haha. Also I'm sorry about this but I have a lot of questions!

I want to move my current fish over to the 10. They're in a 6.5 right now.

Its my male crowntail betta, 4 cory cats, and 1 mystery snail. (Im about to get another snail as well)

So do you think I could add 1 or 2 frogs in with them and it'd be enough space for them to get along with the others?
    Or should I set up the 6.5 as a frog tank? Its kind of tall so I'm worried about them getting air but if I have a lot of plants and things in it, will it be ok?
    If I do set it up as a frog tank, what would be best to keep with them?

Also, assuming I put all my current fish in the 10 gal, could I add a kuhli loach as well? Or even more than 1?

Again, sorry for all the questions!

4. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

Ok I decided it'd be best to get a 20 for the sake of my cories so they can have lots of space! Also I really really want to keep kuhli loaches.

Assuming I get a 20 and I have my betta, 4 cories, and 2 snails how many kuhli loaches should I add? Also should I add any more cories?

5. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferlover Well Known Member Member

Hello,
    Is the 20 gallon a high or long? If it’s a high I would recommend finishing the Cory school and keeping it to one bottom dwelling species.

If it’s a long you could probably do the kuhil loaches and corys.

I would do the Betta in a 6.5 and a single adf in a 10 gallon.

6. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

It is high. A long wouldn't fit maybe? My surface is 29in long... idk if that would work. I could send pics if you want.

And I suppose you're right about the one bottom dwelling species but man those loaches are so cool. Is it wrong to just keep one or a pair?

Also I'm not interested in splitting my tank up. But, once I get the 20 I want to keep my 6.5 as a frog, puffer or a dwarf crayfish tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice