Help me set up my new betta tank!!

• Thread starter blennylover2323
  • Start date

blennylover2323

so I've finally made enough money to start on my new project a betta tank!! I'm super excited because I have heard that betta are one of the most amazing fish to keep and when I had one as a little girl I didn't give good care for my betta and I want to do better. so at the moment I have a 2gal betta tank in storage but I don't think that it is enough space for a fish to live happily. I have my eye on a 5 gal tank at the store but im not sure if that is even enough space. what do you think? what is the best tank size for a betta? (keeping in mind I don't want another huge tank!!) also if I get the 5 gallon can I get a mystery snail with him? or will I just end up with a dead snail?? Another thing is what plants should I put in with him? is there any that work well with bettas and are okay to be in a tiny tank?

I really need all the help I can get!!

Angelfishfinatic

Bettas need a minimum of 2.5 gallons to be happy, but bigger is always better, if you have a 5 gallon for him yes, you can have a mystery snail with it :D
It's always great to have a heater and filter in a betta tank too!
With plants I recommend marimo moss balls as a starter, they're really good at keeping the water clean, and they need a little bit of light and to be flipped over occasionally!
Good luck with getting a good tank! Bettas are one of the cutest fish, you won't regret it!

ValkyrieLips

5 gallon is an ideal size for longer finned bettas, but if you're looking at getting a plakat I would recommend a 10 gallon minimum. As for tank mates it really depends on the betta's personality, if he is docile enough then yes you could have one mystery snail for sure.

For plants moss balls, anubias, java fern and floating plants like amazon frogbit are SUPER hardy and bettas love them.

GingerV513

I have 4 bettas and they all tolerate snail friends. My bettas all seem happy in their 5 gallons, but getting a bigger tank than that (10 gallon for example) would give you more room to experiment with plants, decor, and tank mates. Some plants I use are java fern, hornwort, amazon sword. Some of my bettas like to rest on the plants. I also have betta leaves which are fake leaves that suction cup to the side of the tank that the fish can rest on and go up for air when they want. Some like it, some dont. For the plants I don’t do much maintenance I just make sure the tank has a good light and I throw some root fertilizing tabs in the substrate. Have fun with your new betta!!

mang0

As a lot of people said, 5g is definitely the minimum for your fish to really thrive. Just make sure you research the nitrogen cycle first and cycle the tank! Here's a list of easy beginner plants (just make sure you have a light, and a timer is really helpful as well):
  • anubias and java fern. i do NOTHING to mine, they grow nicely. attatch to a rock or decoration
  • water sprite: grows fairly quickly, nice and flowy, tall background plant
  • someone else mentioned crypts
  • dwarf hairgrass: can be a carpeting plant, even without co2. even if it doesn't carpet all the way, just plant a little and it is a nice soft foreground plant
  • marimo moss ball: just plunk one right down. do nothing but roll it around once in a while to keep the ball shape
  • amazon sword: gets BIG, but can take a while. just trim it down if you ever need to, can even replant clippings
  • java moss or Christmas moss: attach to rock or wood
  • money wort
  • go to aquarium co-op or other articles about easy plants. go to youtube as well, i recommend aquarium co-op's channel as well as girl talks fish. they go over the basics and give ideas

blennylover2323

Thanks for all the ideas!!
So I will go for the 5 gallon because the 2 gal just seems like torture for the fish. I will have to get my betta and then decided if i can get a snail based on his behaviour. I am hoping to get a long tailed betta but where I live there isn’t much options so fingers crossed! For plants, thanks for all the options and advice! I absolutely adore moss balls but they are sadly illegal in my country:( but all of the other plant aren’t. I want to add in some driftwood like a cave and have plants on the ends of the tank. I will definitely look into the plants you have recommended.
For cycling I already have a established tank so is it possible for me to quicken up the cycling with using it’s water and filter material?
Thanks for all the help!!

Top Bottom