Help me set up low tech easy maintenance tank

mysticJOY

Reaction score
one of my customer want a small tank that is almost no maintenance just some water change , feeding and fish medication , no complication
so I decided to make a 2ft x 1ft x 1.5 ft tank
stone gravel as substrate
realistic looking fake plant
to create and make it looks like a original planted tank
2 sponge filter with air pump
can any one help me chose fish to keep in that , make sure that fish don't need any heater and tolarate large range of ph ?

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So that is about 22 gallons right?

I would say if you don't want a heater the first think that comes to mind is 6-10 zebra danios. But I don't know many other fish besides goldfish that don't need much heat.

Maybe some guppies. Maybe a breading tank? If the plant isn't a smooth leafed plant though mine that I am breeding haven't needed to hide and have not been eaten.

OP
M

mysticJOY

Reaction score
yes its 22.47 gal , I know some , but I am afraid to keep them in
I mean tiger barb, here in india I always keep them with no heater but some time in monsoon season they need a heater

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Reticulated gulfstream loaches (look like the face suckers from Alien, but clean tanks sides of algae), white could minnows, guppies, shrimp.
I think neocaradina and caradina, but maybe only neos....

What temp range do you normally have over a year?

Aquarium co-op has some really good videos on small tank fish and no-heater fish. I'd look that up on youtube to see what they say are good. I'm not sure of the fish that are available in India (I would think more than here in the US since you're closer to many of the worlds biggest breeders than we are).

OP
M

mysticJOY

Reaction score
Umm ye here in India Kolkata the 2nd cheapest and 3 third biggest aquarium fish shop, just about 50 min away from my home

Yes that’s a good fish I like to keep that but rarely available here
I called them freshwater nano stingray loach

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mysticJOY said:
Yes that’s a good fish I like to keep that but rarely available here
I called them freshwater nano stingray loach
Which one? The hillstream loach? Yeah, I only have one store here that ever has them. They look really cool though, so I think I'm gonna pick one up soon.

I think they're a US native, but I could be wrong.

And yeah, I live about that far from San Francisco, but they don't have anything big there (the have one aquascaping store and this really nice old guy and his wife that have an entire store that hasn't water changed in like 20 years! He has a couple air stones or an empty filter to circulate the water and the tanks are STUFFED with plants. I mean the only reason you see the fish at all is there are so many in the tank!)

OP
M

mysticJOY

Reaction score
haha nice sandy
by the wat any other suggestions ? please share

re post
one of my customer want a small tank that is almost no maintenance just some water change , feeding and fish medication , no complication
so I decided to make a 2ft x 1ft x 1.5 ft tank
stone gravel as substrate
realistic looking fake plant
to create and make it looks like a original planted tank
2 sponge filter with air pump
can any one help me chose fish to keep in that , make sure that fish don't need any heater and tolarate large range of ph ?
temp here according to wiki, not exactly correct but close

Attachments

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mysticJOY said:
sandy
temp here is
I didn't even see that....

Ok. So I just watched a video on fish that work with a gold fish. Mind that some may be too big, but all can stand the colder temps you have in winter (summer you may need to add a fan or something).

This list is some of those and then just some others that I could think of. Do the research because some are messy or unable to live in a 22g or with others. But they are cold tolerant.

Oto, dojo loach, bristlenose or rubberlip plecos, white cloud minnow, guppies, platies (especially veriatus) , rice fish, haplo catfish (more of a daytime feeder than plecos), mollies, swordtails, rosy barbs.

Again, these are just ideas. You'll have to look into them to see if they'll work, or are available, but in theory, they are cool water fish and will be happy in a fish tank without a heater.

(I would personally look for livebearers since they seem to do well in colder water and reproduce fast)

OP
M

mysticJOY

Reaction score
yes rosy barbs are cold tolerant I have them and I kept them with out heater whole winter this year
by the way here where I live , pond behind my house I can found this fish , its seems like rosy barb, it defiantly a barb Sp , but what barb is it, what I means to say is the pond is their natural habitat and they are native here you can find almost every pond here..
we call them puntI fish here

Attachments

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mysticJOY said:
are bloodfin tetra can tolarate wide range of ph , cold water , fake pant ?
I don't know of any fish that can't handle fake plants or rocks to be honest (maybe they naturally feed off them, but then you'd just have to feed them specific foods.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mysticJOY said:
are bloodfin tetra can tolarate wide range of ph , cold water , fake pant ?
No, they are a soft water fish and need their water heated.

New Threads