Help me raise my corydoras eggs!!

Fishbish1112

The little lady in the pic laid a bunch of eggs just 10 minutes ago! I’ve removed the eggs from tank and placed them in a container with an air stone. I’ve tried to raise these eggs twice before. Both failed attempts because of “fungus” on eggs. I actually had one hatch but the fry died in a couple days:( I’ll be adding methylene blue to the water tonight as I just ordered some online. I’m planning on changing the water in the container 25/30% daily. Should I use dechlorinated tap or water from mother tank?? ANY advice on how I can do this successfully would be much appreciated!!! Should I remove air stone in a couple days in anticipation of the eggs hatching? Do I put fry in established tank right after they hatch?? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• D3460433-A85B-471C-9F7F-29B0C7E126B6.jpeg
    D3460433-A85B-471C-9F7F-29B0C7E126B6.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 0647BD82-2EF2-48ED-AB20-B9F9CB64B37C.jpeg
    0647BD82-2EF2-48ED-AB20-B9F9CB64B37C.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 57278091-E017-40CF-9424-5FD3A61DDF74.jpeg
    57278091-E017-40CF-9424-5FD3A61DDF74.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 21

Zach72202

Raising Albino Cory's is pretty easy, just takes a while. It'll take about a month to month and a half of good care for them to look like miniature adults.

The ones I am currently raising started out on Hikari First Bites, and it worked pretty well. I also used frozen baby brine and Aquarium Co-op fry food. Live baby brine would be best, but I didn't have time for that.

It might be best to setup a different system for in tank if they all hatch and do well as that little space will get very polluted quickly and be overrun with little corys. I have a 20H tank I am raising mine in, but I have probably 50+ babies. If you do some digging on Youtube for a fry hatchery, making something of that nature could greatly improve success with less effort.

As for actual hatching, expect 5-ish days in the egg stage, then about a 24-48 hours with a yolk sack. This is what it felt like when I was raising this batch.

Once the yolk sack is almost absorbed 100% I would start to feed them.

I'm not a cory expert here, there are other members with much more experience than I on here with breeding them, but I have done a little bit of it with a few species and found the Albino cory to be the easiest to raise.

Fishbish1112

Raising Albino Cory's is pretty easy, just takes a while. It'll take about a month to month and a half of good care for them to look like miniature adults.

The ones I am currently raising started out on Hikari First Bites, and it worked pretty well. I also used frozen baby brine and Aquarium Co-op fry food. Live baby brine would be best, but I didn't have time for that.

It might be best to setup a different system for in tank if they all hatch and do well as that little space will get very polluted quickly and be overrun with little corys. I have a 20H tank I am raising mine in, but I have probably 50+ babies. If you do some digging on Youtube for a fry hatchery, making something of that nature could greatly improve success with less effort.

As for actual hatching, expect 5-ish days in the egg stage, then about a 24-48 hours with a yolk sack. This is what it felt like when I was raising this batch.

Once the yolk sack is almost absorbed 100% I would start to feed them.

I'm not a cory expert here, there are other members with much more experience than I on here with breeding them, but I have done a little bit of it with a few species and found the Albino cory to be the easiest to raise.
Thanks for your response, Zach. I’ll try to get some live baby brines for them. I have an established 20 gal with ember tetras, 8 corys, and a couple African dwarf frogs. I’ll attach a pic. Ive got a sponge filter as well as a hang on back that I wrapped some filter media over so no little creatures can get in there so it will be safe for fry, even provide algae for them to eat. My only concern is them becoming food for others. Would they be safe in this tank? Or would setting up this 5 gal tank I have be a better option, for a month or so until they can be placed back in mother tank?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 16

Fishbish1112

Hi congrats on the spawn, there’s some information on this thread that you may find useful
Raising cory fry | Corydoras Forum | 204003
Thanks, Coradee! I did read this right after I posted this thread and it was very helpful. What do you think about the question I asked Zach about putting my fry into my 20gal?? See pics in above response please and thank you

Coradee

I’ve not kept Adf’s so not sure if they’d see small fry as food but I’d be wary of putting them in with your frogs until they’re big enough not to end up as snacks, I’d be inclined to keep them in the 5 with plenty of water changes until you think they’re a size that the frogs would ignore.

Fishbish1112

I’ve not kept Adf’s so not sure if they’d see small fry as food but I’d be wary of putting them in with your frogs until they’re big enough not to end up as snacks, I’d be inclined to keep them in the 5 with plenty of water changes until you think they’re a size that the frogs would ignore.
Right, best to play is safe. Thank you

Zach72202

I would agree with Coradee.

With any fry, it is best to have them in their own area as any other fish would find them as a food item. Also, with frogs if they try to eat a cory it may kill them. Cory's have a spine on their pectoral fins that when in danger the put straight out and it can pierce skin. I feel like it releases a toxin of sorts when you get poked because I have hand caught some of my corys when trying to move them and gotten spined and it hurts for days.

I would push toward frozen or the powder fry foods as baby brine are alive so they swim in the water column. Would be great after a week or so of living, but right away, I wouldn't invest into it until you have a good thing going.

With a 5g tank, especially when not setup for a period of time, you will need to be doing about 50% water changes every day or two to ensure optimal health for the fry. If the tank isn't going yet, you could jumpstart it some squeezings from a running filter sponge and some water from the same tank. Make sure to use a sponge filter so the babies can't get sucked into a hang on back or powerhead or whatever. You won't need any sand or décor, just do bare bottom and the filter. That will make it easier to clean.

Fishbish1112

I would agree with Coradee.

With any fry, it is best to have them in their own area as any other fish would find them as a food item. Also, with frogs if they try to eat a cory it may kill them. Cory's have a spine on their pectoral fins that when in danger the put straight out and it can pierce skin. I feel like it releases a toxin of sorts when you get poked because I have hand caught some of my corys when trying to move them and gotten spined and it hurts for days.

I would push toward frozen or the powder fry foods as baby brine are alive so they swim in the water column. Would be great after a week or so of living, but right away, I wouldn't invest into it until you have a good thing going.

With a 5g tank, especially when not setup for a period of time, you will need to be doing about 50% water changes every day or two to ensure optimal health for the fry. If the tank isn't going yet, you could jumpstart it some squeezings from a running filter sponge and some water from the same tank. Make sure to use a sponge filter so the babies can't get sucked into a hang on back or powerhead or whatever. You won't need any sand or décor, just do bare bottom and the filter. That will make it easier to clean.
Thank you for your response!
I’m posting an update because I’m so happy!! I’ve got 40/50 fry now that hatched last night as I was doing water change to get rid of the MB! Almost all eggs have hatched. I’ve got a 5 gal set up with sponge filter and airstone running. Heater, small layer of sand, and one almond leaf to provide shelter. Water from parent tank. I’m gonna transfer the fry over here tomorrow after all eggs have hatched. I’m gonna do 50% water changes daily. When should I first feed them, if they started hatching last night at about 11.?

Attachments

• 5A4ED541-223E-4D1B-AFE3-896E54CDAEF4.jpeg
    5A4ED541-223E-4D1B-AFE3-896E54CDAEF4.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 39FB679E-01A5-4D65-AFE8-235A95D9AF63.jpeg
    39FB679E-01A5-4D65-AFE8-235A95D9AF63.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 16

Zach72202

They have a little opaque belly on them that is the yolk sac. When that yolk sac is just about 100% absorbed they will start eating. Up until then they won't really eat.

I wouldn't leave the sand in there as it'll make it harder to clean the tank, plus the baby corys won't care. You need to keep the raising tank very clean for their health.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dimmy
Replies
Views
TClare
  • Question
Replies
Views
barbiespoodle
Replies