Help me please

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
My husband wanted this 5 gallon tank and we have it all set up. It has a filter and heater and it looks great. It is currently going through a cycle. What I wanted to know is what fish would be suitable for this tank. I see that neons, white minnows, platys and cherry barbs are all small enough, but how many to get? I see that most are schooling fish and I would hate to get less than 6, but I know that more than two would be too many. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My personal favorite is Cory Cats actually. And I think they would be a neat little addition to a 5 Gal tank. You could get 3 of the . Yes they get to 2" and that would equal 6" of fish, however, cory's tend to like to play together very closely. They also are known to sleep in a pile, so they don't mind being close to each other. If you at looking for more color then I think you would be ok with platys as all the others you mentioned prefer schooling. Even at a minimum of 5 you would still be at 7.5" of fish with the neon's which out be a bit much for a 5 Gal tank. It would be doable, but just not ideal. Have you given thought to just putting a betta in there?

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you could get away with 5 neons. They put out very very little waste.

SHPEPoser

Valued Member
Reaction score
You could go with a couple of guppies. They are very colorful and fun to watch.

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
We already have a betta, so my husband wants to try something different. I like the idea of getting a male and female guppy, although I don't want to see any fry get eaten. I am not interested in breeding fish. Neons are so nice to look at, but I heard they aren't very hardy.

Would two guppies live comfortably in a 5 gallon tank? On their species profile, it says 10 gallon or larger.

SHPEPoser

Valued Member
Reaction score
When I first started I had a couple of male guppies in a 5 gallon. They should do fine as long as there's enough swimming room.

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
So two male guppies won't fight each other?

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Gina423 said:
It's not the guppies you have to worry about fighting each other...it's the betta thinking they're another betta...I wouldn't recommend the guppies....Use caution with fish that have long, flowing fins or tails with bettas.....

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
vin said:
Gina423 said:
It's not the guppies you have to worry about fighting each other...it's the betta thinking they're another betta...I wouldn't recommend the guppies....Use caution with fish that have long, flowing fins or tails with bettas.....
I think they are ogin to have some guppies in a different tank than the betta.
Tom

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
No, I have one male betta and he has his own tank. I have had him for almost three years now and he is happy. I am not giving him any tank mates. He stays upstairs with me .

I think I am going to go ahead and get two male guppies in a 5 gallon, unless someone suggests otherwise. I just want to make sure they will be happy and peaceable with each other.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
gotcha.....

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
2 guppies can work, just watch them to see if they develop a relationship where one is always picked on.

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
is that likely to occur?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gina423 said:
is that likely to occur?
I think it's 50/50 or more.. with just 2, one is likely to become dominant over the other but they might get along fine. 3 works better because it creates a more complex pecking order, but would push the 5 gallon over the limit and make you have to do more water changes, cleaning, etc.

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
So would there be a better type of fish for my 5 gallon?

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey! That sound likes a pretty good idea! I will tell my husband and see what he thinks.

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
but wait, their profile says 10 gallon or larger, would 5 gallons be okay?

SHPEPoser

Valued Member
Reaction score
What about dwarf platties? I've read that 4 are perfect in a 5 gallon. You could maybe go with three and a snail or oto.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gina423 said:
but wait, their profile says 10 gallon or larger, would 5 gallons be okay?
It should be big enough for 2 of them. 10 gallon would let you have a little school of 4-5 of them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom