Help me please

windymeadow

Reaction score
My teenage son got a Betta from a girlfriend, which of course I immediately inherited.  I kept it in a vase for  a while (I know, yikes). I am completely new to the care of any kind of fish.  I searched the net trying to figure out what this little beauty needs.  I bought a baby BiOrb because I thought they looked cool, but they are very bubbley and Joe Cool  doesn't seem happy.  I didn't cycle the tank, I am just learning about that here.  I did put conditioner in ( I thought that was all that was needed).  Our house is chilly so I bought a 50 watt heater (4 gallon tank) so thats another worry, I don't know if that is the right size.  I also heard that the bright light at the top isn't good for him?  Do I need to buy another aquarium or is there a way to make this one less bubbley? I also heard that they like still water? I will buy another aquarium if I need to.   I wish someone would tell me  what is needed.  I have gotten hooked  ( ha ha  no pun intended) on this fish.  But it is driving me crazy trying to figure out EXACTLY what he needs.  I just am getting so confused reading about filters and airstones etc. I really don't know anything except what I am reading on the net and as I am finding out there is a shocking amount of nonsense out there.  Please, please help.  Thanks!

Oh, by the way...The Baby Biorb is 4 gallons, I think that is why it is too bubbly, the poor fish can't sleep at the top like he likes to do without getting tossed about (I am guessing).

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He needs another tank and there are several that would be perfect:

I just bought another one of these.

The Hex5 kits can be purchased at most Walmart stores for $30. and contain everything but the heater and gravel and fish (and plants and decorations if you want).

The above tanks are suggestions as they give the betta all he needs and are appropriate sizes. I included the 12 gallon tank as it is really the best value for the money ... that is a great price for that tank... I just bought my second one.

Check the 50 watt heater and if it does not have an adjustable thermostat which has notches or numbers and not just a HIGH/LOW setting, you will not be happy with it. Most bettas need to be kept at 80 degrees or above and when you medicate them it can be needed to be as high as 85 depending on what the problem is. The heaters with no adjustment cannot meet these needs.

Rose

windymeadow

Reaction score
Rose,

Thank you so much for your help. I will save that BiOrb for different fish then. I really appreciate your help. I thought that heater might be a mistake. It looks like I am making a quite a few mistakes and spending alot of money to keep one little fish happy. It's a good thing he is so cute.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh yes they will wrap around your heartstrings
Rose knows her Betta stuff and has given you good advice.
Carol

windymeadow

Reaction score
okay so now I know that I bought all the wrong stuff, what brand of heater should I get? Also any opinions on real plants versus silk. I don't want something else that I have to research how to take care of (ha ha ha ) and do I HAVE to wait 4-6 weeks to get my Betta into the new tank? (I know you are going to say yes, darn it) Poor little thing has been through soo much with the vase and then the BiOrb bubble ****, JK

By the way, Rose I ran out and bought a Eclipse Hex 5 and I am feeling much better about things now. So thanks again.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The brand of heater I use (and I think Rose does too), as well as the best brand I have tried, are the Marineland Stealth heaters. They cost a bit more than other heaters but it is worth it because they are lifetime guaranteed and very accurate and easy to set.

Your Betta would greatly appreciate at least a few live plants if possible. A lot of people have a combo of live and fake plants. My favorite live plant is java ferns...they're cheap, impossible to kill, and get nice big leaves for your fishies to rest on. They have no special requirements, except they have to be tied on to a piece of wood or rock rather than planted.

If you can, go to the store and get some pure ammonia (no scents or other junk added in). By adding pure ammonia you can cycle the tank very quickly--some people have done it as fast as 1-2 weeks. Do you know the process of fishless cycling? If not I'll post a link...

One little note on your 4 gal biorb. You mentioned that you wanted to use it for other fish. This will not really be possible because 4 gallons is too small for any fish besides a Betta, and in fact is very small for a Betta. It would however make a good invert tank...you could get some cool shrimp or snails.

windymeadow

Reaction score
Omorrokh, Thank you so much for the advice and yes post me that link! I am so glad you told me about the baby BiOrb. I have only had it a few days so I am going to try to sell it on Ebay. Thanks for saving me the aggravation of finding out later that it is too small. I will take your advice on the heater. Many, many thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom