Help me out

1. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I tested my cycling tank today everything was perfect accept nitrite is was 2.00 ppm I then did a water change and then it went down to 1.0 ppm should I do another water change? Here's the rest of the results ph 7.7 ammonia 0 ppm nitrate 0 ppm.

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

And also I have been cycling with a sponge filter also to speed it up.

3. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

The fact that you have zero nitrate concerns me. I'm not sure why it'd show no ammonia and no nitrates but then you have nitrites. What test kit are you using? How are you cycling the tank? Do you have plants?

4. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I'm using API master test kit.Yes I have plants in it.

5. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Hummm the plants could be using up all the nitrates in the tank. I'm not 100% sure how to fix this hopefully someone will come along soon and have a better idea about plants and cycling.

6. toosie Well Known Member Member

Are you doing a fishless cycle, or cycling with fish?

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Drew.

When did you start cycling your tank?

Are the RCS and MTS in the tank while cycling? If not, I wouldn't bother with water changes until the cycle is complete.

8. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

There's is 2 guppy fry that are 2 weeks old I didnt have anywhere to put them lol

9. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

You may want to look into buying a breeder net to hang over your other tank that is cycled. Fry do not do well in unstable tanks.

10. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I have one it's filled with guppy fry.

11. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Honestly, I would advise pulling those guppy fry out and buying a breeder net as suggested above.

How long has the tank been up and running?

12. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Last week,yea there in there I had an invasion in my ten gallon lol

13. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

They multiply quick don't they? LOL! Been there myself.

If it has only been a week, I would advise doing water changes to keep your ammonia and nitrite levels as low as possible, preferably 0.25 at the highest. If the sponge filter came from a cycled tank, the tank should cycle fairly quickly, although nothing is ever guaranteed in this hobby. LOL!

14. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

All the filter media is from a healthy cycled tank. I'm trying to get rid of all the guppy fry lol and a gazillion mts

15. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Then if you keep your ammonia and nitrite levels low, your tank should cycle fairly quickly. Good luck and please keep us posted!

16. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I'll do a 25 percent tommorow and see if its goes down. I'm getting want fish in tank syndrome lol

17. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I just did a 20 percent it went down to .50 I'll do another tommorow to get it down to.25 or 0

18. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Excellent! You are definitely on the right track! Keep us posted, please:)

19. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

The shrimp like the sponge filter!

20. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

My shrimp love my sponge filters too!