Help me name this plant

  • Thread starter

Angelo

New Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
Hey guys I would like to know the name of this plant I bought this at my local PetSmart a month ago and I forgot the name of this plant. thnx
 

Attachments

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Messages
22,857
Reaction score
122
Points
518
Experience
More than 10 years
looks like somekind of sword plant.
Carol
 

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,458
Reaction score
150
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree that it is definitley some sort of Sword. Perhaps Ruffled Sword (Echinodorus Major) or Uruguay Sword (Echinodorus Uruguayensis).
 

Hussain

Valued Member
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Points
91
Experience
Just started
Its called Madagascar Lace (Aponogeton madagascariensis) :

Care Level: Difficult
Lighting: High
Placement: Mid-ground
Water Conditions: 72-82° F, KH 3-6, pH 6.0-7.0
Propogation: Bulbs, Seeds
Max. Size: 2' 1"
Color Form: Green
Supplements: Trace Elements, CO2 Fertilization, Iron, Potassium
Origin: Farm Raised, USA
Family: Aponogetonaceae
 

Attachments

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Messages
22,857
Reaction score
122
Points
518
Experience
More than 10 years
Hussain said:
Its called Madagascar Lace (Aponogeton madagascariensis) :

Care Level: Difficult
Lighting: High
Placement: Mid-ground
Water Conditions: 72-82° F, KH 3-6, pH 6.0-7.0
Propogation: Bulbs, Seeds
Max. Size: 2' 1"
Color Form: Green
Supplements: Trace Elements, CO2 Fertilization, Iron, Potassium
Origin: Farm Raised, USA
Family: Aponogetonaceae
Actually the plant in the first picture has solid leaves not net like leaves
Carol
 

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,458
Reaction score
150
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry Hussain but that's nothing like a Madagascar Lace Plant. I've had many over the years. It's definitley a Sword of some kind.
 

striker

Valued Member
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
3 years
It looks to me as the Aponegeton boivinianus plant.
 

Attachments

ilikefish

Valued Member
Messages
456
Reaction score
2
Points
103
Experience
Just started
I'm with striker
 

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,458
Reaction score
150
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Now your confusing me Striker. The lower leaves look like the A. Boivinianus but the leaves on the longer stalks are fatter & rounder like a Sword. Almost like there are two plants growing in the same spot. Do you know if the Boivinianus can be grown emersed? That would explain the differnt leaves being on it.

I've never seen one before. Now that I have googled them, I want one.
 

striker

Valued Member
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
3 years
Yes they can be grown immersed under water.
Here is a link :
 

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Messages
22,857
Reaction score
122
Points
518
Experience
More than 10 years
striker said:
Yes they can be grown immersed under water.
Here is a link :
He's asking if it can be grown emersed (roots in water, leaves out of water)
Since Aponegeton are bulbs I don't think they are grown emersed just submerged. Of course that's just my thoughts
Carol
 

striker

Valued Member
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
3 years
Butterfly said:
He's asking if it can be grown emersed (roots in water, leaves out of water)
Since Aponegeton are bulbs I don't think they are grown emersed just submerged. Of course that's just my thoughts
Carol
ohh my mistake.
I honestly don't know.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom