Help me make my tank look better. How Do I

1. Emazz Initiate Member

Alright its tank cleaning day, also my tank is weeded with plants I need to trim the long ones and replant them but I don't want to kill the plants I'm not even sure what some of these long plants are. I wish I can cover the ground with green, but I'm not sure how.

Any suggestions on plant trimming and ideas on my tank to make it look nicer.

Cheap is the best way for now.

I don't have much money atm

I plan on changing the substrate to sand with real fertilizer.

16g moon tank
    I am using florapride and some gravel substitution nutrient fertilizer

My tanks a weedy mess I know.

Attached Files:

2. Emazz Initiate Member

I have had this tank for about 3 months now.

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome to FL.

When you say you're changing to sand with real fertilizer, what exactly are you changing to? Are you doing a soil base and then a sand cap?

4. Emazz Initiate Member

I have regular gravel now I think it would be nicer for the plants to stretch their roots out and look better than gravel. Would it be bad to mix sand with fertilzer? I have no knowledge of substrate fertilizer but people keep saying thats better than gravel.

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

OK. I'm just trying to figure out what you'd like to do. Are you looking for all sand that you supplement with root tabs and liquid ferts for your plants? Or do you want to use organic potting soil and then place a sand layer on top of that? I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by substrate fertilizer...are you talking about a substrate with fertilizer in it already, like Eco Complete or Fluorite (or the Flora you are using now)?

6. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

A more close up / zoomed in picture would help. Hard to tell what all those plants are.

From what I can see, it looks like the longer stem type plants are anacharis. You can just cut that anywhere and plant the trimming, as both the cut piece and original piece will keep growing. I think anacharis looks good when kept as a small bunch planted into the substrate, using a plant anchor or larger rock to hold it down.

As for your substrate....You don't "need" sand. If you just prefer the look or something, that's one thing, but most plants do just fine in regular gravel. Switching out substrate is very tedious and requires an entire tank breakdown and storing your fish in buckets for quite a few hours to get everything back and ready for them to be in tank again.

I have the same question as Adam, what is gravel substitution nutrient fertilizer?

In my opinion, you are doing good already with your current setup, the plants are obviously growing well if you are needing to trim them and control the "jungle" per say. Stick with what you are doing. Florapride is a liquid fertilizer for water column feeding plants like anacharis. Not sure of your gravel fertilizer but if you needed some boost for root feeding plants like swords, then get some root tabs. They are small rock/pill shaped tabs that you stick right into the substrate near the plants in need. In time these dissolve releasing the fertilizers right into the substrate where the roots can soak them up.

As for ground covering plants, this is a bit more tricky. You usually need high light amounts and CO2 injection to get ground covering plants to work well. These type tanks can be a lot of upkeep and more difficult until you figure out the basics of keeping live plants.

7. Watehobit Member Member

I think a black background would make a significant difference. And that is easy on the wallet as well.