Help Me, I'm Freaking Out

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My sister has a halfmoon betta that was dealing with some issues so he was gifted to my mom to heal. She's taking better care of him now, but he is still in my sisters room. Then, my sister turned the filter off, I don't know why, and left it like that overnight. The media is almost dry now and I feel the cycle draining. I don't know what to do, this poor thing is almost neglected. I'm going to do 30 to 50% water change and dose Prime. What can I do I do until the filter comes?

Inhabitants: Male betta
Tank: 5 gallon
Filter, tetra whisper

Help!

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The filter was just turned off, not removed, right?

The betta has gravel or other substrate?

Turn the filter back on. Yes, the bacteria in the filter media have taken a hit, but ones growing on the walls and substrate are fine.

A water change is good on principle. Just keep an eye on the water parameters , and all shoukd be fine.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Now the filter isn't turning on.
Okay, tell me if this will work. We take him out and just restart, as that tank was a mess anyway. Then we continue with a fish-in cycle. Dose with Prime, test and do water changes every day. I don't want to but I may have to.

Another option is my 10 gallon. It has a betta in it, so I could divide it, but I don't want to risk either of them getting hurt.

How does one do a fish in cycling?

Sorry, the filter straight up broke on me. He has sand substrate.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Either divide your ten gallon OR

Get some Safe Start and whatever new filter you are going with.

Transfer the old substrate and any decor and plants you are choosing to keep. There are bacteria in the filter media that isn't completly dry.

Ser up the new tank. Add the fish. Monitor, and do small daily water changes until the parameters stabilize.

As,an aside, this is why keeping an extra sponge filter in tanks is a good idea. Move sponge to new tank = instant cycle. Fewer headaches. Also, shrimp and fry love them.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you/your sister/your mom whomever keep up with the water changes the tank either will or won't cycle. As long as he is kept in clean fresh water he will be fine and once you get another filter in there just keep up with taking care of his water and the cycle will take do its thing.

A lot of times so many folks are so stressed about getting the cycle complete they overlook the basics. Clean fresh water and food is really all he needs.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Update:
The filter has started working again. Problem is, so did the heater. It was at 65 degrees and I had no idea. Will the change shock him?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
emmysjj said:
Update:
The filter has started working again. Problem is, so did the heater. It was at 65 degrees and I had no idea. Will the change shock him?
Just let it warm up slowly and he should be alright.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish-in cycling is really just daily monitoring of Ammo, Nitrite, Nitrate levels and water changes to avoid toxic levels while your bb colony builds up. Seachem Stability can accelerate the process, and is compatible with Prime (if that's the way you want to go).

The tank is already cycled as-is, though the colony size is probably insufficient now without the filter. A simple airstone should fix the problem within a week (bacteria need to breathe, even if the fish has other options). Supplement with Stability if you wish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom