Help me identify this baby snail that showed up in my new tank!

colinmc32

Hello,

I recently set up a new tank and I just noticed that a baby snail has appeared out of nowhere. I know the eggs sometimes come from plants purchased from LFS. I would like to know if this particular snail is a prolific breeder and if i should remove it from my tank asap. Its shell looks to be a twirly cone, similar to what you might find on a beach. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 2D4F7AC5-B765-4B12-9283-6925E2B9851D.jpeg
    2D4F7AC5-B765-4B12-9283-6925E2B9851D.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 23
  • 10245E85-F6A2-45CA-ADF8-584BA635E518.jpeg
    10245E85-F6A2-45CA-ADF8-584BA635E518.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 25
  • A84787E2-3907-4804-BC56-EF4DD6FADBD9.jpeg
    A84787E2-3907-4804-BC56-EF4DD6FADBD9.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 22

Rick bose

Looks like bladder snail.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Looks like you got a bladder snail. Where there’s one there’s always more...

they aren’t bad though they just reproduce quickly

Upvote 0

IzabelB

Bladder snail. From my experience they are relentless pests but others don’t mind them.

Upvote 0

Casemil

I have some and they are still breeding and I've got 80ish now... if you want to get rid of them when they are too much get either an assassin snail or a yoyo loach or both

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Hello,

I recently set up a new tank and I just noticed that a baby snail has appeared out of nowhere. I know the eggs sometimes come from plants purchased from LFS. I would like to know if this particular snail is a prolific breeder and if i should remove it from my tank asap. Its shell looks to be a twirly cone, similar to what you might find on a beach. Thanks for your help!
I should also add that they don’t get to out of control breeding if you don’t over feed your fish

Upvote 0

Rick bose

I have some and they are still breeding and I've got 80ish now... if you want to get rid of them when they are too much get either an assassin snail or a yoyo loach or both
Isn't there's a chance that the loach might eat the assassin snails too?

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

Yeap, bladder snail.

Some hate them, some love them. But be forewarned, they are VERY prolific.

For along time I was in the absolutely hate them camp because they totally took over my tanks to the point that was all you could see was bladder snails. But I managed to get them under control with a mixture of adding other fish and snails that competed enough with them, and in the case of my shrimp tanks, added assassin snails, that they could no longer reproduce in huge numbers. It took a long time since my infestation was so severe. I still have them, always will, they are impossible to get rid of, but in numbers that are more along the line of a well balanced tank. So I'm now in the still don't like them, but accept them camp, lol.

For a few good things about them. First, they do not eat healthy plants and will help keep your plants trimmed of dying parts as well as keeping the leaves clean. They are great algae control and do a wonderful job of keeping your substrate and glass clean. Again, it all comes down to being able to keep them under control.

Upvote 0

Casemil

Isn't there's a chance that the loach might eat the assassin snails too?
Oh yeah..... I didnt think about that but I still dont think that it would it it as they are a bit bigger than most snails

Upvote 0

Karen16

Great algae eaters... My goldfish have enjoyed the couple I've thrown in their tank as a snack. I gave away a load to a guy locally. Pea puffers eat them. My 5 assassin snails are slowly taking care of the little ones so I don't see hardly any babies, however I've only heard of total irradication by the use of chemicals which you can't use on certain livestock. Or you take your tank apart and start again. I don't mind them but don't want to be overrun with them.

Upvote 0

Rick bose

Oh yeah..... I didnt think about that but I still dont think that it would it it as they are a bit bigger than most snails
My zebra loaches killed the mystery snails and they are the biggest snail in the aquarium hobby, much bigger than assasins. One could argue that they were killed because they were so big making them easier prey for the loaches as they could easily eat their tentacles outside the shells or go inside their shells by making an opening to get to their flesh. But my loaches killed my assasins too. I think loachescan eat any snail they can find. Besides assasin snails aren't that big when compared to yoyo snails. It's not that the loaches can't crush their shells.

Upvote 0

colinmc32

Thank you everyone! I am thinking that I will try to take swift action to remove the infestation.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TwiTch18
Replies
Views
Sarasacco
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies