Help Me Id This Plant Pls

Wolf010

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Got this plant from a LFS when I asked for a Java fern, but this looks nothing like the s I see when I google search java fern. Pls help me ID this this plant and tell me it's requirement. Thanks . It's the one beside the java moss.

Attachments

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Still looks like a Java fern to me.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes java fern and a nice piece!

Wolf010

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I thought java fern was supposed to have larger leaves? More like leaves in this photo.

Attachments

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wolf010 said:
I thought java fern was supposed to have larger leaves? More like leaves in this photo.
That's a crypt or a sword

Wolf010

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Uh, just did a little more research, turns out java fern have diff types of leave, windelov and narrow leaf versions

The top one I was asking about is probably the windelov version and the other one was the narrow leaf version, pls correct me if I'm wrong. And also, some tips on the cares of these plants

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wolf010 said:
The top one I was asking about is probably the windelov version and the other one was the narrow leaf version, pls correct me if I'm wrong. And also, some tips on the cares of these plants
Biggest thing is dont bury the rhizome, fertilize them lightly but frequently, and overall neglect them. They are pretty good plants once they settle in. If you see roots coming from the leaves the plant is very unhappy, but making baby plants to try and keep the species alive. You can also propagate them by cutting the rhizome. Mine seem to do that last part on their own frequently for some reason.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the first is windelov, the second is regular java fern. This is the narrowleaf variety

Attachments

Wolf010

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the correction

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wolf010 said:
Thanks for the correction
Oh didn't mean to 'correct'. You did great by doing the research. The first one does indeed look like windelov, nice ID I didn't even see the ruffles and curls at the ends at first.

For advice, I say don't watch it grow. If I kind of forget about it and check on it later, I'm always surprised how much has grown. But it is normal for it to be a very slow grower.

aniroc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe the width of the leaf really it depends on the kind of light it receives.

I grow tons of Java ferns, I call it narrow leaf (not needle) until I move some in a LED lit deeper tank. Months later, it looks very different....no narrow anymore.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom