Help me ID this and get rid of it!

1. Schuyler93 Member Member

For the past two weeks now ever since I added plants into my tank I've got this brown hairy gunk all over my plants, driftwood, substrate, glass just everything and it's becoming extremely annoying to deal with. I'm hoping someone can help me ID this stuff and give me advice on the best way of getting rid of it.

My tanks details here;

20 gallon
    Fluval 2.0 fresh and Plant LED
    AC 50 with foam/purigen/biomax
    It has been running for 6 months with a tear down in between so 3 months with new substrate and more plants
    I dose liquid fertz all of seachems line other than advanced and I follow seachems dosing chart available on their website
    I also used root tabs roughly 1.5 months ago.
    50% water changes every Sunday with nothing dosed other than Prime and Pristine.

0ppm Nitrite 15ppm - 20ppm nitrate throughout the week.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

You can see it everywhere and everyday I'm brushing it off of the leaves to come back a few hours later and it's on them again.

Attached Files:

2. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Could you post a picture?

3. Schuyler93 Member Member

Sorry I was just in the process of getting them up!

4. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Possibly Brown algae (diatoms)?
    How long do you keep the aquarium light on?

5. Schuyler93 Member Member

Usually 10 hours with ramping

6. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

7. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Bn pleco will actually eat that for you. Get 2 and you will see no more. If you get only one then it will take alittle long, but since your tank is only a 20gal I would get one.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would try to fix the issue rather than using fish as a bandaid. I wouldn't put a BN in a 20 gal, and you may not have room for a school of otos.

Does it come off when you rub it or use a siphon above it?

9. Schuyler93 Member Member

I've read though that those types of fish can get injured by flourite, I was going to get some Cory cats at one point but was told the flourite would basically kill them. Is this true then? Or am I safe to get an oto or bn pleco?

10. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Cory cats don't eat algae.

11. Schuyler93 Member Member

Also I do have shrimp roughly 25 RCS, will they be safe with them?

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What's your current stocking? I'd say no to the BN pleco - minimum 29 gal for them. And you can't add just one oto - you need a group.

Rather than add fish, we can try to figure out what's causing your algae and help you change things to get it under control. If you really want to add an algae eater, I'd add nerite snails. They don't breed in freshwater and they're great at eating algae.

13. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Safe with treatment no. Most treatments contain copper and they will die from that.

14. Schuyler93 Member Member

It does come off if I rub it off of whatever it attaches itself off too, I try to do all the plants every day so the light can get at the leaves but it only takes a little time for it to attach itself back to the plants and driftwood. I really wouldn't care if it was just on the driftwood and substrate but when its on my plants it's driving me crazy. If I try to siphon it up it will not release up into it unless I scrape it off.

My current stocking is 10 cardinals and roughly 25 RCS. The Cardinals are young and the RCS's are larger adults.

15. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Can we see a picture please? It sounds cool!

16. Schuyler93 Member Member

The Cardinals are always hiding throughout the plants but you can see a few!

There is one straight on

Attached Files:

17. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

What lighting are you using?

18. Schuyler93 Member Member

Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0

2350Lumens
    Roughly 50-65 PAR @ substrate

19. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

You have a pH alert? I won't recommend that. They aren't very accurate. But your tank is nice!

20. Schuyler93 Member Member

I got it for free, I do have a master test kit and test the pH regularly and for me it is a little off but it still helps out a little bit to have an idea of what it roughly is.

But also thank you! I've been working extremely hard at trying to succeed in this planted tank hobby but it's slowly picking me alive lol. I have that pot full of baby tears I need to lay out later and a couple changes like getting rid of that possible brown algae or diatoms and then I'll be extremely happy. I just set up a pressurized co2 setup yesterday so I hope that helps the plants eat up all the nutrients.