Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Help Me Id These Texas Cichlids: Red, Green Or Flowerhorn Texas Hybrids?

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by Islandvic, May 15, 2019.

1. Islandvic Well Known Member Member

My friend needs to re-home 2x Texas cichlids and a Jack Dempsey.

He sent me a few pics of the Texas'.

One looks to be a flowerhorn hybrid though.

Please let me know what y'all think they are.

He said this was a Green Texas cichlid?

This was supposed to be a Red Texas Cichlid, or is it a Texas/Flowerhorn hybrid?

Pic of both together....

Also, any guess to their sex?

So far he says they get along fine together and with the JD.

Thanks for you assistance!!

2. Lovecich Valued Member Member

I have no advice, but these fish are truly magnificent.

3. A201 Well Known Member Member

Pic #1 looks to be a standard Texas Cichlid (Herichthys Cyanoguttatus). It's a female. You can determine it's gender by the dark blotch on the dorsal fin. The Cyano has small uniform spangling throughout the body. The Green Texas, (Herichthys Carpintis), has bigger, more irregular shaped spangling, especially on the gill plate.
    Pic #2 is either a male Red Texas cichlid or Red Texas FH, depending what species components the breeder used. He might eventually fade to a beautiful red & white or stay a pretty blue, black with red highlights. He will likely develope a healthy set of teeth. I know this by experience.
    The JD will have to grow a bit for a gender ID. All three cichlids like hard water, so limestone works well as a hardscape. Here are pics of my baby male Texas Carpintis and 10" unfaded male Red Texas FH. The Arizona Gardens web site has good pics of different varieties of Red Texas FH's they sell. Very expensive!