Help Me Id My Eel

JessicaSwanlake

Active Member
Member
Messages
258
Reaction score
133
Location
Illinois
Experience
2 years
Hi,
Can anyone help me ID the eel I got a couple weeks ago? He was sold as a peacock eel, but I think he might be a tire track or half-banded. All I know is that it is almost certainly not a peacock eel. I'm mostly just trying to determine if he is going to end up like 2-3 feet when I was expecting something a bit smaller.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions, sorry the quality isn't great.
15568429809577227675055396512493.jpg
15568430295266345145005282887324.jpg
15568429809577227675055396512493.jpg
 

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,331
Reaction score
1,659
Location
USA
Experience
4 years
JessicaSwanlake said:
Hi,
Can anyone help me ID the eel I got a couple weeks ago? He was sold as a peacock eel, but I think he might be a tire track or half-banded. All I know is that it is almost certainly not a peacock eel. I'm mostly just trying to determine if he is going to end up like 2-3 feet when I was expecting something a bit smaller.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions, sorry the quality isn't great.
15568429809577227675055396512493.jpg
15568430295266345145005282887324.jpg
15568429809577227675055396512493.jpg
I think it’s a MalawI Spiney Eel. It is defiantly some kind of spiney eel. Anyway you could get some sort of pic of it’s face? Thanks
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
JessicaSwanlake

JessicaSwanlake

Active Member
Member
Messages
258
Reaction score
133
Location
Illinois
Experience
2 years
Does this work?
Not sure if it helps at all, but he is very curious and seems more crepuscular than straight nocturnal.
15568443906208369147416699447677.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
JessicaSwanlake

JessicaSwanlake

Active Member
Member
Messages
258
Reaction score
133
Location
Illinois
Experience
2 years
CaptainAquatics said:
I think it’s a MalawI Spiney Eel. It is defiantly some kind of spiney eel. Anyway you could get some sort of pic of it’s face? Thanks
Sorry, I forgot to actually hit reply to you. The picture of his face is above. He's pretty friendly so if you need another I can probably get it.
 

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,067
Reaction score
5,130
Experience
More than 10 years
Your eel is Macrognathus circumcinctus, and gets up to 20cm long. It's from SE Asia, not Africa. It is fairly common in the hobby.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
JessicaSwanlake

JessicaSwanlake

Active Member
Member
Messages
258
Reaction score
133
Location
Illinois
Experience
2 years
chromedome52 said:
Your eel is Macrognathus circumcinctus, and gets up to 20cm long. It's from SE Asia, not Africa. It is fairly common in the hobby.
Hi,
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. Probably going to have to take him out of the aquarium he is in then. The oscar will definitely eat something that small once the oscar gets a little bigger.
 

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,067
Reaction score
5,130
Experience
More than 10 years
He won't try more than once. Spiney Eels taste really bad to predatory fish, so one attempt to bite will leave a bad taste in the Oscar's mouth for a loooong time. However, I wouldn't push my luck. The worry would be losing both fish if it gets stuck in the Oscar's mouth.

I knew someone who kept a large Tiretrack with a huge Red Tail Catfish that should have slurped him down like spaghetti, but ignored him completely. I asked if the cat had ever tried to eat the eel, and he said it had sucked him in once, spit him out immediately, and never touched it again.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
JessicaSwanlake

JessicaSwanlake

Active Member
Member
Messages
258
Reaction score
133
Location
Illinois
Experience
2 years
chromedome52 said:
He won't try more than once. Spiney Eels taste really bad to predatory fish, so one attempt to bite will leave a bad taste in the Oscar's mouth for a loooong time. However, I wouldn't push my luck. The worry would be losing both fish if it gets stuck in the Oscar's mouth.

I knew someone who kept a large Tiretrack with a huge Red Tail Catfish that should have slurped him down like spaghetti, but ignored him completely. I asked if the cat had ever tried to eat the eel, and he said it had sucked him in once, spit him out immediately, and never touched it again.
I'm not super worried quite yet, since my oscar has about 6 months to go before he is big enough to even attempt to eat the eel. Plus the oscar is still a coward and is scared of basically everything, including his own (frozen) food if it comes too close to him and the snail I have in there right now.
Once he gets a bit bigger I will take the snail and eel out, but I think I still have at least a few months until then.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
261
Guests online
3,352
Total visitors
3,613

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom