help me, i think my fish are attacking one of the others!

1. Maddison Initiate Member

last week i bought two mollies, today i bought one Dwarf Gourami and another fish (sorry can't remember what it was called).And the three fish are pecking at the Dwarf Gourami, this is worrying me. is this normal behavior? or is it harming my Dwarf Gourami? this is really worrying me, please someone tell me what to do?  ???

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

If they are constantly nipping at the gourami, and this behaviour continues for more than a few days, you might have to take the gourami back.  This will stress the gourami and probably eventually kill him by stressing him out.  What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?  Sometimes less than perfect water conditions also cause fish to act differently. 

P.S. Welcome to FishLore! ;)

3. beckers4oranges Member Member

if the other fish are tiger barbs....they'lll do that cuz their little bastards....lol

4. Maddison Initiate Member

lol no its not a tiger barb, although i will be carefull about buyin them in the future. it has stoped now but my dwarf gourami is hiding, and im sure ive read they don't hide.

5. Maddison Initiate Member

i have found out my other unknown fish is a marbled sailfin. but i still don't know what to do!! ???

6. RoboDude Member Member

well, im not much of a pro myself, but i think i just thought of a master plan . . . how big is your tank? Is there enough room for more fish? If so, since the gourami isnt getting picked on anymore, it may just be shaken and doesnt wanna come out of his hiding spot, so maybe if you put in some zebra or leopard danios to cycle your tank, the gourami will see them swimming bravely and it might begin having some hope, and come out. i would try it. i hopethings turn out good, and i feel sorry for you. GOOD LUCK, ROBODUDE!!!

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Madison could you tell me what size your tank is please?
    carol

8. Maddison Initiate Member

its a 10-15 gallon tank, the man at the petshop said 4 woudl be alright. still confused, everytime i look at it, its still in the same place. it won't even come out for food, i may take it back to the shop. i feel its a bit like fish bullying lol

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I think I would take the Gourami back to the pet store. I believe they like their water a little warmer than the Mollys. Mollys can be sooo picky (I pick at you, you pick at me kind of thing ;) ) sometimes.
    Carol

10. beckers4oranges Member Member

gouramis are shy fish... mine hide all the time..especially the dwarfs... mollys are kinda wierd fish..in that they should really be kept with only fish of their own kind...i found that in my 50 gallon...i have a semi aggressive set up in there and only one molly...so he just hangs out at the top of the aquarium...but the experience i lack tho is that i dont have a gourami with the molly...but my two gouramis pick on eachother and they hide a lot...so i know that their shy fish