Help me here

skar
Hey everyone.
I want to try Bamboo shrimp again yet I have had no success with them in the past.
I currently have a 75 gallon planted community.

That includes a colony of cherry shrimp.
Amono shrimp and ghost shrimp.
I have two hob filters on either side of the tank with matrix and sponge as media. Kept at 78 degrees 7.8 ph I think?

Any how if you can keep these guys alive help me out !
20201120_194521.jpg

Kribensis27
They need a lot of flow and lots of floating food particles. They’re filtering out food all the time, so they need lots of “stuff” floating around. Some favorites of theirs are cyclops and powdered fry food. Otherwise, they tend to not do so well. Also, make sure that there’s no copper in the water. Since you have healthy shrimp, you obviously don’t have a lot, if any, but I’ve noticed that most shrimp can at least handle a tiny bit. Bamboo shrimp can’t tolerate ANY. If you use RO, ignore that part.

skar
Kribensis27 said:
They need a lot of flow and lots of floating food particles. They’re filtering out food all the time, so they need lots of “stuff” floating around. Some favorites of theirs are cyclops and powdered fry food. Otherwise, they tend to not do so well. Also, make sure that there’s no copper in the water. Since you have healthy shrimp, you obviously don’t have a lot, if any, but I’ve noticed that most shrimp can at least handle a tiny bit. Bamboo shrimp can’t tolerate ANY. If you use RO, ignore that part.
Thank you.

I have a aqua clear 70 and opposing side a aq 110 hob shouldn't that provide sufficient flow ?
As far as copper ... I use half dose of the thrive s or c for low tech tanks.

I'm pretty stocked with lots of plants I would think that would provide enough food ?

Also I syringe feed brine shrimp and plankton to the community.

I appreciate the help and insight.

skar
Bummmmp

skar
Trying again.
Same deal, I have had this one coming on about 4 days.
Just hides :/
20210506_131408.jpg

20210506_145743.jpg

GuppyOverlord11
I know nothing about bamboo shrimp, but I just wanted to say, great looking tank!

Diane 007
There are a couple of things to watch for, these guy’s exclusively feed from the water column so if you see them trying to eat from the substrate it’s a pretty good indication they are starving. Mine love to hang out in the hornwort I have floating. They do a pretty good job of hiding but are out and about a feeding time.

They are not fussy eaters it just needs to be crushed fine enough for them to filter it out. I like repashy because its already powder. A healthy, happy bamboo shrimp has the stripe down the back no stripe indicates its stressed. I hope this helps you out a little bit.

skar
Ya... no go.
It did have a stripe on it's back.but day 5 now and it's dead.
I don't understand what is wrong for them in my tank.

20210510_174826.jpg

On the plus side I just bought a pom pom crab at a lfs. The crab is now acclimated in the tank, I may not ever find it again ha.

applejax
skar said:
Ya... no go.
It did have a stripe on it's back.but day 5 now and it's dead.
I don't understand what is wrong for them in my tank.
They need good current and stuff in the water column to eat. They often don't move around much - once they find a spot with good water flow and food, they'll latch on there with their fans out. People frequently inject food specific for the bamboo shrimp, like 50 micron pearls, into the water column or right at the shrimp with a syringe.

Pfrozen
Your tank is overfiltered for bamboo shrimp I think. If your water is crystal clear then there won't be food for them to filter. Ideally you would want particulates and microorganisms floating around and not getting caught in the filters

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom