Help Me, Help Them!!

1. iLikeFish0918 Member Member

Hey all!! :;tea

I need your expertise.

I bought a male black molly about 7 weeks ago from Petsmart. About 2 weeks ago, i noticed some white little tufts on his body. they looked fuzzy. I got scared that it might be Ich, but i wasnt quite sure. None of his tank mates were showing any spots or signs of distress.

Then maybe a day or two later, the fuzzies were gone...

Then a few days later, one would appear.

Now after two weeks, i see maybe 6 little fuzzy white spots on my molly. But no one else...

I went to Petsmart to pick up some maintanence things. I take a quick peak at their black mollies just to compare. I want to say about half of them were mildly to serverly covered in white tufts of what i believe to be fungus!! Poor little guys.

I still dont think its ich, bc its just my black molly who has it.

I bought Maracyn. Will this work?? I just did a large water change today. I removed the carbon from my filter incase it hinders the medicine.

Are there natural ways to deal with this before i use the medication??

2. escapay Well Known Member Member

Ich is white spots. They aren't fuzzy.

Sounds like you have some fungus of sorts.

You will want to remove the carbon from the filter if you use medication in the tank.

Is this your 20 gal tank in your aquarium info? Also, what are your water parameters since those aren't listed anywhere?

3. iLikeFish0918 Member Member

Yes this is the tank in my aquarium info.

And i did remove the carbon from my filter.

Water parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10-15 nitrate.

I also just returned the tetras...So its only the Mollies, Glofish and Snail in the tank.

4. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Are the white patches raised and appear like cotton? That could indicate columnaris.

If flat patches it could be ich.

If more of a spreading growth could be velvet.

Can you post pictures?

We'd need to diagnose first. If ich heat and oxygen would cure it; however, if columnaris this treatment would kill them.

5. iLikeFish0918 Member Member

Definitely not flat, it's raised and looks like cotton. I know for certain it isnt flat because when he looks me square in the eye, i can see it on the side of his body.

Not a spreading growth either.

Pictures are difficult to obtain. Ive tried very hard to no avail.

Ive seen these spots on him for two weeks. No one else in the tank has it. Not a single speck.

I have Maracyn, which treats Columnaris. I dont think its a true fungus. Its fuzzy but not fuzzy like mold on old fruits or bread. If it is a true fungus i would need MarOxy.

Could i use Maracyn and if symptoms persist, try the MaraOxy?

I dont want to wait until it gets worse.

6. escapay Well Known Member Member

What about a video of the fish? Sometimes that helps..

Also, IMO it is worse to treat something that isn't what you think it is...

7. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I doubt it's columnaris, the fish would be dead by now. For me, it only took about a day to finish off my fish :( Most likely a fungus...
    How is the fish acting? How is it feeding?

8. iLikeFish0918 Member Member

I have a video on my camera but i cant get it on the computer >.<

He keeps his top fin clamped mostly. He eats normally. I place the flakes in a cup and submerge it in the tank. He swims thru my fingers, sometimes mistakes me for food lol

His poop looks funny tho. Not the color of his food. More like the color of an algae wafer, but i havent fed him one since Monday.

9. iLikeFish0918 Member Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gEJqQMV3LQ

Here is a Youtube video of my fish!!!

This was taken last week.

He looks the same only he keeps his top fin clamped more than usual, and with the addition of a few more spots...

Please help!

10. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

That looks more like a parasite. Try QuickCure. It works fairly good on external parasites and is cheap.

11. iLikeFish0918 Member Member

So what is afflicting my Molly is an external parasite, but ISNT ich??

I did some reading on Quick Cure and it says it may be harmful to my snail.

I also read about other medications that treat parasites including; CopperSafe and Maracide (both products of Mardel)

These also can be harmful to may snail.

What can i do??

When i decide on a product to use, are the Mardel products satifactory??

I also found an organic/biodegradable product called Chem Marin Stops Parasites...

It claims it wont harm my snails...

Is this reputable?

12. Shine Well Known Member Member

Remove the snail to another tank while treating the fish

13. iLikeFish0918 Member Member

I do not have another tank in which to put him in...

14. escapay Well Known Member Member

Do you have tupperware? Maybe make a makeshift tank in the meantime?

15. iLikeFish0918 Member Member

I do have tupperware. How can i construct a makeshift tank?? would i just do water changes everyday? how do i keep him from and escaping?

And can i get a vote or group approval on what medication to use??

Please and thank you

16. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

While ICH is also an external parasite, it doesn't appear to be this one. I would not use any meds with snails in the tank. You could try the heat method and see how that goes.

Any copper containing meds will kill inverts. If you decide to use them, either remove affected fish or remove the snails.

If worried about jumpers, just place a cover over it. I use tuperware and turn the lid upside down. It works for me when needed. You can use a sponge filter, if you have one already seeded, or plan on daily water changes in the QT tank.

Good luck.

17. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I agree and do not believe your fish has ICH. If your fish had ICH the entire body would appear to have been sprinkled with salt and not just 1 or 2 spots. It can be difficult to determine what our fish are suffering from at times.

If I were to treat for fungus, I would start with Pimafix and Melafix combination. These are natural products and not medications:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/melafix-16oz
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pimafix-16oz

I would also try feeding your fish foods that have been soaked in Garlic Guard or Garlic Juice. Sometimes the garlic along with pristine water conditions can help to eliminate some parasites and help prevent parasites from attacking your fish along with fungus.
    http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-exclusives/fama/black-molly.aspx

Garlic Guard:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/garlicguard-17oz
    I use this twice a week on my fishes treats routinely.

Garlic Juice:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ed-garlic-jar-just-example-those-needing.html

Making your own Garlic Juice see post #4 in the link below:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/fish-food/83281-garlic-recipe.html

Garlic can boost the fishes immune system and help fight off parasites and fungus.

Too, adding Vita Chem for additional vitamins can be beneficial. I use this routinely too:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/vita-chem-freshwater-16o

Best wishes for your fish.

Ken

18. iLikeFish0918 Member Member

I thank you all very much.

Im sorry if im asking too many questions or too much of you, but i need to clarify.

Am i treating for parasites or a fungus????

Just so i know which route and best advice to take...

19. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

It would appear there is a difference of opinion. So, you will have to make the final decision.

Regardless of which path you take, stick to it.

20. nissan4life Member Member

Sorry to hear about your fish. I hope he's ok. :)