Help Me, Help My Snails

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i am hving a servere nitrite issue an my snails are sliming alot, i know this is due o water qulity. i ue api master test kit and i have been religiously testing and doing water changes to keep them safe. here is some info
tank size 20 gallon tall
running for almost 2 months
temp 79
ph 7.2
calcium cuttle bone, and snail jello fed every other day and alea waffers daily
ammonia 0 nitrite between 2 and 5
nitrate 10 to 20
my snails have been mating regularly and i read somewhere tht they wont if water is bad. is his true?
also in this tank i have 8 one month old guppy fry
2 red cherry shrimp and
2 mystery sanail
i have done water changes and the nitrites never go down. i removed all decor except live plants and mopani wood chunk.
my question is what can i do o get my nitrites down other than water changing?
and also are they safe with this high of nitrites? also what should i do if they are not safe?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bithimala said:
Have you tested the source water for nitrites? If it's not budging after water changes, the issue may be with the source water and not the tank.
yes i have, and nothing coming from my sorce water.... this is scary because i love my ssnails more then any of my fish and want them to be ok. that came out wrong i want all my aquatics to be ok not just the snails, but i love ove my snails and have already lost both my dark foots, my two remaing are going at it like rabbits, is this a sign they arent to to stressed? or does one have nothing to do with the other? also they have been sliming quite a bit, is this a bad thinng? as my research is very conflicting. i did remove all fry from this 20 gallon today, so the only occupants are 2 m. snails and 2 cherry shrimp

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thank you btw for repying i have been upsessivly watching this thread in hopes someone would answer, i know myystery snails are a mystery, but i want them to live threw this and i just can afford anything until thursday to fix issue. i want them to be happy and healthy until i get this figured out

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i use seachem safe powder equivalant to prime but i was told it only works if its in total 1ppm or less. and still my test shows between 2 and 5, i just cant match the colrs very well on this test. also i use api liquid freshwater test kit.

Rich Johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think I'd actually worry more about the shrimp and the guppy fry. They'd probably be affected by nitrites more. Snails are pretty hardy.

When you say the tank's been running for 2 months, does that mean it was fully cycled before you put anything in it?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so i took out all fry so now all is in there is 2 snails and 2 shrimp.
it was cycled after 5 weeks and i did origionally put in 2 platys which are now in another tank going threw same issue. i put my fry in a 5 gallon bucket with spongee filter i made annd a heater just until i get this fixed. i will do dayly 25 percent water changes on the 5 gallon fry tank daily.
bu iv read snails are very sensitive to nitrite in particular, is this false? also the shrimp have shed and seem happy, but never really thought to worry about them..... thanx hahaha
i am going to by stabiity on the 3rd but until then, any suggestions?

edit to add: i have only lost snails at this point

Rich Johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can't really say that I've researched the effects of nitrites on snails. But I have seen videos on YouTube of people raising them in buckets with nothing but an airstone (no filtration at all).

Most of my experience is with pest snails (ramshorns and bladder snails). I breed them to feed my dwarf puffer. I do weekly water changes, but I think they'd survive in just about anything. Mystery Snails may be a whole different ballgame, though.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thank you for you reply rich. i hope they are as hardy as bladder snails cuz thosee buggers re relentless. i even starve hem and still..... they live on lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom