Help me help Chi! D=

1. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Ok guys, I need some help with Chi.

You may remember some time ago me asking about help with gill flukes. Welp, he's still got 'em. After so long with little problems (just a teeny flash here and there), yesterday, he's started spazzing out and flashing like crazy.

A few hours ago, he literally leaped out of the water, hit the hood with the most horrifying sound, *almost* managed to jump out the little opening at the back of the hood that lets the filter in, and then slumped to the bottom of the tank and vegetated for a while (can you blame him??).

Then, not too long ago, he was just sitting there with his mouth as open as it would go, stretching his gills open. It wasn't stuck open, because he flexed it a bit, and then closed it after a few minutes.

I've separated him in a breeders trap, so that I can start feeding him the Jungle Anti-Parasite food again, and I'm going to give some to the Cories, even though they don't seem to be having issues, and my new betta, Ume, (who is in a medium Kritter Keeper, but I put stuff from the 5.5 gallon in there for him), too, just to be safe.

I can't find anything that treats gill flukes here, other than the Jungle food, and QuICK Cure, which both I guess are iffy, but its all I can find. Could you guys please suggest anything at all that will help him?

2. toosie Well Known Member Member

Praziquantel is often used for gill and skin flukes. It's one of the ingredients in Jungle Parasite Clear. It's also used for treating tapeworm in cats and dogs. Research it a little because I'm not sure if it's safe for your corys. If all else fails you can contact Jungle Labs and find out from them directly.

3. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Praziquantel is in the Jungle Anti-Parasite food, as well. Do you think an external treatment would be best here? But then again, I only have a 1/2 gallon tank to separate him in if I were to treat with Parasite Clear. Could I dose it down the same way I can with powdered meds? I'm not even 100% sure I can find that here. I don't understand how such a fish-friendly area can have such a suck-ish medication selection >.<

CichlidNut, that stuff doesn't exist here, nor do I have the ability to buy anything online :/

5. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I found it for $4.25 online. No credit card to use?

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

No money to pay for shipping, unless that place has free shipping >.< Sure it may only cost $5, but some places are like "Oh by the way-- $10 shipping" D=

I will keep an eye out for it, though. You never know if the one of the LFS gets its in, or something.

Any other ideas?

7. toosie Well Known Member Member

Hmmmm well this is hear-say Akari but supposedly the flukes have to ingest praziquantel in order for it to be effective so a water treatment might be more effective than feeding it to the fish.

I do see your problem with the dosage though. 1 tablet treats 10 gallons so even if you cut the tablet into 8 equal sections each section would still treat 1.25 gallons. Not sure you could divide it up any smaller than that. If you disolved a 1/8 tablet in 100 milileters of water and used 40 mls per treatment, that should be the right amount of med to treat 1/2 gallon tank. If you used 1/4 of the tablet and disolved it in the 100 mls you would dose 20 mls per treatment. That's maybe the easiest way to get it into a small enough dosage.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Thats sort of what I've been hearing to, but there're very few meds here, so I tried to work with what I had. It seemed to have worked, BUT I only used the QuICK Cure and medicated food as a single, 3 day treatment, so maybe thats more my problem?

I was thinking more putting the tab in 10 teaspoons of tank water, letting it dissolve, and then putting 1/2 teaspoon of the medicated water in with him. Same concept, but easier lol

9. toosie Well Known Member Member

Hahahahaha, Yeah I like to make things complicated. ;) I was trying to save you wasting meds. I like yours.

I do know they are hard to get rid of, and usually require more than one treatment so you could be right.

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You know, at this point, I'll pay 50-freaking-dollars (not really!) to get this straitened out. I'm so sick of it!

So, do you think I should go ahead and separate him into the 1/2 gallon, and go at him with QuICK cure (for a full week this time, not just the minimum 3 days) and medicated food, again, since it did help? The only thing with the medicated food is is has to fed three consecutive days a week, with no other foods, for a month. Such a pain! But after the QuICK Cure is done, he can go back in the main tank.

But, do you think the flukes are in the tank its self?? 'Cause, if I got them all off of him, and then put him back in the tank just to get flukes again, I would die D=

11. toosie Well Known Member Member

It's probably best to treat the tank but Quick Cure has Victoria Green in it and even at half dose it can kill corys. There is a good chance just treating the one fish won't totally solve the problem. These kind of scenerios are the worst. One solution creates another problem. :( With your lack of options for treatments... I'm not sure really what else to suggest but I'll help you snoop around to see what else you might be able to do.

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The Cories don't *seem* to flashing or anything that Chi is doing, but I did notice that one had kind of red gills. But I had a bit of ammonia in the tank, because I hadn't done a water change in like 2 weeks (takes that long for it to get to measurable. I love live plants! =D), and hasborus's are sensitive to ammonia and such. Also, I hardly ever see them, because they are so small, and they love the plants :p I've got frogs in there, too, and RCS and MTS...

On the Cory note, I've read that Gill Flukes really only effect young fish, and the Cories are full grown. When Chi started with these symptoms, he had just got done growing, and was still filling out, so he's still young...

13. toosie Well Known Member Member

That's interesting Akari, I've never come across any info like that. I'm not sure why young gills would be fair game for flukes and older gills wouldn't be. I'll have to do a little research on the life cycle of a fluke. Maybe it will shed some light on how it would be best to go about this.

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I've seen it a few places, but with no explanation. It is weird, though.

15. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

16. toosie Well Known Member Member

Like a lot of parasites the fluke worm lives about a week and drops eggs so when they hatch they look for an available host. This means you would have to treat the entire tank or remove the fish, (the snails could stay) and leave the tank empty long enough for the young flukes to die because they can't live without a host. You would still have to treat the fish but I think the reason people think only young fish are infected is because their gills are smaller and more delicate so it doesn't take as large of an infestation for the flukes to kill them off. I think older fish are very likely to have the flukes as well it's just that they don't show the affects of them as quickly.

I'm still trying to see what you could use to treat the corys because I do believe they will be carrying the flukes and even if the flukes don't get severe enough to kill them, it would lead to a continuous supply of flukes that will reinfect Chi.

17. toosie Well Known Member Member

Ok Akari, I'm not sure what more you have managaed to turn up, but.... Apparently snails can carry flukes too so most seem to think it is wise to treat them as well. Praziquantel, from everything I can find out about it is safe for the corys and snails so it should be safe to treat the whole tank with it. Praziquantel is also found in API General Cure and Hikari Prazipro. If you can come across it in dog/cat or other animal section, I found this tidbit that might help you figure out the proper dose to give your fish.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12596668

Prazi isn't suppose to harm the BB but I know that this can be a problem with products containing Victoria Green/Malachite Green aside from not being safe for the corys or snails. Hopefully you can find some in one of the pet sections. Farm supply stores and vet clinics would be the next places to check out.

18. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Ok, so good news is, PetSmart has the API. Bad news (for my wallet), Its $15 :/ I'll have to ask my mom for some money lol But, if I were to get this, I would have to remove the frogs and shrimp, correct? Something I don't mind, but I'd like to know.

I haven't seen the PraziPro any where. Its the first thing I looked for. :/

19. toosie Well Known Member Member

I wish I could answer this but after doing mega searches, I still don't know.

20. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Thats ok, better safe than sorry :) I'll get that API stuff after my pay check goes in thursday. In the mean time, Chi will be getting that medicated food. I might move him to the 1/2 gallon and treat him with QuICK Cure until I get the API General Cure, as a double whammy. Thoughts on that?