Help me help betta, please!

Erinelle

I posted last week about our new betta.
I’ve been doing everything that was recommended. But I’m attaching a photo (I can’t figure out how to attach a video - is this normal behavior?

He got over his swim bladder issue. I got daphnia, but I still can’t tell if he’s eating. His top fin is finally unclamped, which gives me hope about his stress.

Could he be blind? Is that even a thing you can tell? Could he just still be adjusting? Prior to taking this video, it almost looked like he was trying to swim down and just kept hitting the substrate. He did that last night on the side of the tank.

He swims backwards away from food if I try dangling a thawed bloodworm in front of him. Since we brought him home he hasn’t stopped with the constant open and closing of his mouth. He was straight up and down this morning, maybe sleeping?
His behavior is so different than our previous betta.

I don’t want to put my daughter through loosing this fish so soon after getting him… I can exchange him at the store, but I don’t want to take him back to the store and return him just for them to let him die in worse conditions.
Thanks so much!
I was able to upload a few videos. (Apologies for my toddler and the noisy background!) And I’m wondering if the red in his gills is not just his coloring..? I assumed that was just what a platinum betta looks like. But googling is making me wonder if he has ammonia poisoning when we got him. You can see his rapid mouth and hill movement in the videos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 57D322CE-F3FE-43DA-8751-0FF0A835AEEA.jpeg
    57D322CE-F3FE-43DA-8751-0FF0A835AEEA.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 28

ValkyrieLips

He looks scared and stressed out. The bright fluorescent decor could be bothering him, bettas have great eyesight and do not like bright colors in their environment. Or it could be a water quality issue. How often do you do WCs and what are your parameters? Did you cycle the tank before adding him?

Also, what do you mean you can't tell if he's eating? Do you not feed him one piece at a time or watch him eat? Is there often leftover food sitting on top of the gravel?

Erinelle

He looks scared and stressed out. The bright fluorescent decor could be bothering him, bettas have great eyesight and do not like bright colors in their environment. Or it could be a water quality issue. How often do you do WCs and what are your parameters? Did you cycle the tank before adding him?

Also, what do you mean you can't tell if he's eating? Do you not feed him one piece at a time or watch him eat? Is there often leftover food sitting on top of the gravel?
Hi, thanks for your reply. I agree, he does look stressed. I should have added, I’ve been keeping the light off on the tank and just letting a little sunshine provide light. I turned the blue light and normal light on just in an attempt to get a decent picture/video of what he was doing before I turned the lights on. The blue light is making things look florescent. I do probably a 60-70% change - weekly. The tank is cycled.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ph 7

He had swim bladder disorder last week when we got him. I didn’t feed him for a few days. He eventually pooped and I’ve gotten him to nibble on a pellet once. I got daphnia at the recommendation of people here. I’m not sure how one would hand feed or feed one piece of a time with daphnia. Once thawed it’s just like pouring in a bit. But I’ll take recommendations on how to better feed daphnia. I gave him that last night for the first time. He did not eat any as I watched and it floated around the tank. But I do not know if he ate any after it floated down to the substrate.

blushrimp1

Can you get frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp? Those are much easier to feed one piece at a time. He may not like daphnia, or maybe he's never seen it before. IMO less fluoresent decor, something darker in the more natural color range might make him feel more at home. A safe hiding place would be good too. Make sure any holes on this hiding place are large enough that he won't get stuck in it. Must be smooth so no snagged fins. Good luck! He's a beautiful guy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ValkyrieLips
Replies
Views
Dunk2
Replies
Views
BeginnerFishKeeper1
Replies
Views