Help me hardscape my 35 gal

1. F

Fatecallsuponus New Member Member

I've been working on ths tank for a bit and the silicone seals just set, so I decided to fill it up and see if it leaks. In the mean time, I'm thinking about how I'm going to hardscape. All of the pieces I've gotten from outside and they haven't been treated yet. The driftwood still floats so I need to weight down somehow, and since I'll be keeping Cory's,I'll need caves. I'll have black ecocomplete substrate and it'll have live plants. What do you guys think?
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406919701.225877.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406919720.076374.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406919744.880238.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406919772.947561.jpg

2. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I'm always really nervous when it comes to taking anything from the outside and putting it into my tanks. A lot of parasites (not to mention chemicals) can lay dormant for awhile, then all of a sudden cause some really bizarre tank issues. Just my humble opinion...

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Anything you collect from woods, beaches etc should be thoroughly cleaned & soaked before use, boiling water should kill most nasties.
    Corys don't need caves, they'll be quite happy resting under the wood or amongst the plants.
    That looks a nice size tank for a large shoal of corys, what species are you going to have?

4. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I've drawn up a sketch of what in my opinion will look good.
    sketch1.png
    This little sketch shows you where the best place to put your focal point is. For a natural look off centre is the way to go.

sketch1.png
    Crossing the wood at a low angle will look more natural and provide cover for your corys.

Top down view sketch 2.png
    The focal point of this scape will be the wood crossing. Planting some moss and anubias etc on the wood will make it look interesting but keep the moss trimmed so it doesn't soften out to much. You could add in a bunch of other rocks if you want.

Have fun with your scape, I'm sure you'll make some corys very happy. :D

5. OP
    OP
    F

I've done a lot of research on it, and I'm going to be doing the week long soak for the rocks and the vinager test and so forth. The driftwood has soaked in a 5% bleach solution, then the bath for about a week with some scrubbing throughout, though I think I'll repeat the week long soak again with that. The only thing my LFS, or even the stores where I must travel a few hours to get to only seem to carry albinos and I believe bronze. I think i'll go with the albinos, so they don't get lost in the tank. I'm thinking 10

6. OP
    OP
    F

Oh!! Thank you very much, that looks excellent!! I saw some people using the grid to design when I was looking through different articles, but was lost on how to use it! Should I just use fishing line and anchors to weigh the driftwood down, for the most natural look? And I suppose this means I need to get out the saw and start cutting!!

7. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Yeah some nice heavy fishing sinker and line will work until it is soaked then just cut them off. Make sure you pour boiling water over it before it goes in your tank.

8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Albinos will look lovely on the dark substrate & that's a nice number, don't forget more pics as your tank progresses, we like pics :)

9. OP
    OP
    F

Of course!! As soon as I start to get things cleaned and set up for real, I'll post lots of pictures!!

10. gh74

gh74 Valued Member Member

View my post if you like it might give you an idea if your using wood,its called...my tank pics...you can tell me what you think iwas going to add a few caves for the cichlids but they love hiding in the wood :)

11. AndyVE

AndyVE Valued Member Member

Also wanted to learn more about aquascaping, so was curious about this post.
    Nice to have a forum and the internet for stuff like this. :)
    Love the scetches...seemed familiar from another hobby of mine:
    http://www.ultimate-photo-tips.com/photography-rule-of-thirds.html
    so guess except this rule of thirds, the golden ratio would also be a good rule to apply when aquascaping.

12. OP
    OP
    F

Wow!! Your tank is just gorgeous!! I can on;y hope to be able to do that one day.

But on a different note, we finally set it up today, substrate is in, we found out we had to use a mix of fishing line and silicone to attach the driftwood to rocks before it wood actually sink. Unfortunately my father had other plans when I told him we were going to cut a piece of the driftwood off and went along with just putting the whole piece at the most attractive angle. ( him!)
    So we poured in the substrate and let it sit for a moment, then got all of the equipment in and started up the canister filter so here is what we have so far IMG_2153.jpg
    As you can see, I didn't get my low cross, but I tried my best to follow the ratio rule and have things at the focal point. And don't mind the plastic wrap, that's just to keep the water from splashing out thanks to the filter (My mom believes the cat will jump into the tank so I can't fill it up until we finish the cover.) After the water clears i'll start setting up the rocks and start the cycle!

13. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Honestly, your hardscape/tank wont look pretty.

If you want to use rocks, stick with rocks. if you want to use wood stick with wood.this is easiest for smaller aquariums. and use smiliar materials.

try using rule of thirds. largest hardscape item should be about 1/3 of the tank. the next largest must be smaller and the next. smaller.

14. gh74

gh74 Valued Member Member

Teishokue,thats a bit of a harsh statement saying that your tank wont look pretty,now come on get real if you go into some aquatic stores and you see they have wood and rocks in there tanks do you instantaneously go and tell them there tanks are rubbish?....it can depend on what you keep in your tank i have cichlids and a mix of other fish they love hiding in the wood & behind the rocks etc,if you were to look in the rivers the fish come from there is wood and rocks etc you try to make the fish feel that there new habitat has a similarity to were they have came from.