Help Me Get From Good To Great!!

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 33 gal community tank (36" x 12" footprint), and I'm looking for stocking comments/options.

Livestock currently includes:
  • GBR pair (not yet full grown, but sexually mature, male is larger @ ±1.5")
  • 7 rummy nose tetra
  • 3 otos (they were added when I first started up the tank, before GBRs came along, and temp was lower - I know it's high for them).
  • 1 SAE @ ±2" excl caudal fin
  • 7 amanos, 3-4 red rili
  • 1 nerite
Filtration is a Tidal 55 with sponge, biomedia and purigen (needs recharging), and an AC70 (lowest level), with coarse sponge and filter floss (goal here is to have T55 handle bio filtration, and AC handle the polishing). I currently change 10gal water per week.

PFS substrate, 2-3" deep.
Well planted, low-medium light. Fert tabs in sand, liquid ferts 1x per week.
Parameters are stable: 0/0/±10. pH 7.5, temp 80F. Haven't measured hardness.

How much room do I have, in terms of bioload, and what sort of WC amount/frequency would y'all recommend? I'm in the "play around with but don't rely solely on" aqadvisor camp. FWIW, my current stock is at 64% there taking fish size into account for GBR and SAE. If I "use only adult sizes" I'm up to 72%.

My wish list includes:
I'm in no rush for any of the above (have learned that slow and steady is best), but I want to be ready to buy if I find what I'm looking for.
Can I add this many, safely?

I have decent lfs choices, so if y'all have alternative stocking recommendations, I'm open.

TIA!!!

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you are talking about kuhli loaches they need higher temperatures then the rest of the fish that you want and they need a 50-gallon tank. You can maybe get away with keeping 2 gouramis, but any more and you may be overstocked. Personally, I think you have a lot of fish in the 33-gallon and wouldn't get any more for you may crash the tank cycle.

shutterbug13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You should start off by re-homing your otos and Siamese algae eater first. As you pointed out, otos need cooler water as do Siamese algae eaters; they also need to be in groups.
Once you re-home them, you will have plenty of room for 8-10 kuhli loaches and 3-4 honey gouramis.
At a minimum, you will want to change around 35-40% of your water once a week, you definitely can do slightly larger or more frequent water changes if you want to.
OneLittleBubble said:
If you are talking about kuhli loaches they need higher temperatures then the rest of the fish that you want and they need a 50-gallon tank. You can maybe get away with keeping 2 gouramis, but any more and you may be overstocked. Personally, I think you have a lot of fish in the 33-gallon and wouldn't get any more for you may crash the tank cycle.
Kuhli loaches fit the temperature range of the rest of the fish and they are actually quite small so they do well in anything over a twenty gallon. Honey gouramis are also smaller and sociable so they are fine in larger groups.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
that's weird after looking into you are right they do only need 20 lol. Frick you liveaquaria and your false info. Luckily I don't use it often haha

shutterbug13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OneLittleBubble said:
that's weird after looking into you are right they do only need 20 lol. Frick you liveaquaria and your false info. Luckily I don't use it often haha
Yeah, liveaquaria doesn't always have the best info. Planet catfish, seriouslyfish, and fish base are generally the best place to go. It's odd though that they would list that kuhlis need a bigger tank than they really do, normally it's the other way round

Malek Mas

Reaction score
Hello

i am new here i didnt know how to post a new question hopefully you guys can help me here or direct me in the right direction...
i have stocking questions

i have a 38g bow front

current stock:

2 painted plays
1 dolmation molly
1 all white molly
1 dwarf gourami
1 swordtail
4 peppred cory

i would like at leased 1 angel fish..
is it possible?

thank you

shutterbug13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Malek Mas said:
Hello

i am new here i didnt know how to post a new question hopefully you guys can help me here or direct me in the right direction...
i have stocking questions

i have a 38g bow front

current stock:

2 painted plays
1 dolmation molly
1 all white molly
1 dwarf gourami
1 swordtail
4 peppred cory

i would like at leased 1 angel fish..
is it possible?

thank you
You can make your own thread by going to the Stocking subforum and clicking here:
Screenshot (38)_LI.jpg
You will get more replies that way and this thread won't go off-topic. If you tag me in your new thread, I'll help you there.
Welcome to Fishlore!

Malek Mas

Reaction score
shutterbug13 said:
You can make your own thread by going to the Stocking subforum and clicking here:
View attachment 436289
You will get more replies that way and this thread won't go off-topic. If you tag me in your new thread, I'll help you there.
Welcome to Fishlore!
wow fast reply i really appreciate that..
will go make my own thread thank you very much

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom