Help me fishlore.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey guys. I’m sure you have noticed that I haven’t been doing much on here lately, I have noticed myself. In fact tonight my restless brain has made me notice a lot of things. Maybe it’s just me being tired but I feel like I have lost some of my passion for fishkeeping. It used to be I’d be SUPER exited to come home and just work on my fishtanks until the sun went down, now I just do my water changes and feed them just to get it over with. I love this hobby and don’t want to loose it but it almost feels like a chore now. I don’t know maybe I’m just tired tonight and my mind isn’t clear but I just don’t feel as into it anymore, and to make it worse I’m starting to feel guilty because I’m not spending time with my fish. I keep up on Cleaning (for the most part) and they all seem healthy, but something is just missing. And I have noticed I have been getting more accepting on the whole “oh they just got a water change last week their fine” thing, which granted they probably are. I do test my water on tanks and it all checks out most of the time but it’s things like algae growing on the glass that I’m not bothering to take care of, rescape ideas that I have but don’t do, it’s things like that. You know I always feel motivated to get up and work on my tanks on nights like tonight but I wake up and it’s gone, and I normally don’t do them at night because I’m tired. Does anyone have any ideas on what could help me get out of this. I love all my fish so much and would hate to loose my passion for the hobby. Thank you all, -CaptainAquatics

Gavi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Time for a new tank? :) New fish???

If that idea doesn't seem exciting, maybe taking a break wouldn't sound so bad. Perhaps there's a friend or family member who you can pass your knowledge and tanks to. I hear a lot of people come back to the hobby with a stronger passion after taking a break.

OP
CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Gavi said:
Time for a new tank? :) New fish???

If that idea doesn't seem exciting, maybe taking a break wouldn't sound so bad. Perhaps there's a friend or family member who you can pass your knowledge and tanks to. I hear a lot of people come back to the hobby with a stronger passion after taking a break.
I don’t think I can do these things sadly. I have 11 aquariums (some of which are 170 gallon systems) and I couldn’t bear to let my fish go. I think I may get up tonight and go do some stuff on the tanks.

Gavi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ah. Sounds like your passion for keeping fish holds very strong. I would imagine that the issue here maybe is seperate from the fishkeeping hobby. I know a lot of people are feeling stress and emotional fatigue from the current state of the world. Let your passion for fish keep you motivated. I happened to begin my fishkeeping journey shortly before the quarantine, and it has helped me so much. The amount of care and love I give my fish reminds me of how much care I should give to myself.

Perhaps a new endeavour apart from the fishkeeping hobby might keep you motivated.

Best of luck

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
I've felt this way a few times. It was almost always after I set up a new tank beyond the 3 I have. It would be very exciting, the thrill of setting up a tank, but after a month or so I would feel burnt out and even less interested in all of my tanks. Forcing myself to stay at 3 tanks has really helped me keep my passion for the hobby, since I've learned through many tries that 3 tanks is my personal limit. Anything beyond that and it starts to drain me and feel like a chore.

Have you recently taken on more fish responsibility? Could it be possible you've gone past your personal limit?

New Threads