Help me finish my Rainbowfish Tank

Berryblue

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi friends,

I have a planted 38g and would like to round out my stocking with either a centerpiece or pair/trio of smaller fish. Since there is a lot of activity at the top of the tank, I would like an addition that will use the entire space (versus just a bottom dweller for example). Currently, I have:

Praecox x7
Furcata x8
Bristlenose Pleco x1
Zebra danios x2 (I don't intend to add anymore)

I really like GBRs and Apistos but I have never had any luck with them. I had an Angelfish for a year and want to try something different. So far, I am thinking of a trio of male guppies or a honey gourami. Anyone keep either with Rainbowfish? I am worried that the guppies will be too small and get beaten up and I am not sure that I will be able to find a honey gourami at any of my LFS. I am open to other ideas too. Thanks!

WBJR

Reaction score
Good mix so as of now. On the honey gourami they get territorial , guppies ok . What about a school of rasboras they will fill in nicely with the others.

I have boesemani and bala's in a 150 but when adults will be going into a 300.

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Peacock Gudgeons? They can be fussy feeders though. I've never kept Guppies with Rainbows but don't see why it wouldn't work.

OP
Berryblue

Berryblue

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WBJR said:
Good mix so as of now. On the honey gourami they get territorial , guppies ok . What about a school of rasboras they will fill in nicely with the others.

I have boesemani and bala's in a 150 but when adults will be going into a 300.
Thanks for the tip on rasboras but I might be overstocked if I add another large school.

OP
Berryblue

Berryblue

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
GlennO said:
Peacock Gudgeons? They can be fussy feeders though. I've never kept Guppies with Rainbows but don't see why it wouldn't work.
I haven't heard about this one before. I will research it but I don't know if I have ever seen it at any of my LFS.

WBJR

Reaction score
Berryblue: With an average size filter with little bio yes by a little only. If you have a nice high flow filter and good amount of bio should be OK. What about a few dwarf neon rainbows if you can find them ?

Glenno : peacock gudgeons are hard to find in my area and if you can they are prone to various diseases. Also tends to only eat live food. That's from two long time rainbow aquarist I know.

OP
Berryblue

Berryblue

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought I would share what I ended up doing. I went to my LFS on Sunday with the intention of getting a single centerpiece fish but ended making an impulse buy. The stock at my LFS was really good and they all looked healthy. I was excited that they had honey gouramis and I ended up getting a pair since they were juveniles. They also had amazing looking mollies and I got a single male dalmatian sailfin molly. Here are some pics. I couldn't get a snapshot of the molly but I am including a pic of one of my furcata rainbows (since this is a rainbowfish channel, haha).
IMG_0153.jpg
IMG_3861.jpg

New Threads