Help Me Find A New Hobby

JRS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I thought of something. Since you are young - learn about economics. They have pretend stock investment learning sites on the web. I am fifty and wish I had taken the time when I was your age to truly understand investing and the stock market. I would have so much more money stuck away. Start saving in a retirement plan the moment you hit 18 even if it is $50 a month and then you can retire earlier and have extra time for your hobbies.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Take up reading. Try different genres and go to the public library. There is also online books so you can borrow them online, on your device and never worry about late fees. Amazon also has free books, usually classics they do have audio books which are nice for when you just want to sit, relax and listen.

lookijustneedhelp

Valued Member
Reaction score
what kind of hobby is "girlfriend/boyfriend" :'D

if your phone camera is decent you can try just-for-fun photography

Catfish12345

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Try cubing, or collect lp records

adsm08

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you considered politics? I find it to be a wonderfully entertaining spectator sport.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JRS said:
I thought of something. Since you are young - learn about economics. They have pretend stock investment learning sites on the web. I am fifty and wish I had taken the time when I was your age to truly understand investing and the stock market. I would have so much more money stuck away. Start saving in a retirement plan the moment you hit 18 even if it is $50 a month and then you can retire earlier and have extra time for your hobbies.
I would highly suggest looking into life insurance if you're going to do this. You can get a crazy life insurance policy for super cheap when you're so young. Just be sure you're not smoking. Which you shouldn't be doing anyways.

khloem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MattS99 said:
Anyone know anything about succulents? Kinda want to get a few.
I have seven, they are honestly super super easy to care for! I would recommend Echeveria to start, I've had an Echeveria Frosty for like four years now Now I'm completely succulent-obsessed. I get my soil from Bonsai Jack, and have never had one die on me. You should definitely get a few, they're super addicting imo!

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NavigatorBlack said:
Join a band with the guitar, and start looking beyond the common species with the fish. Study biogeography, fish evolution, fish distribution... there is so much to learn.
Trying to start a band, have myself, another guitarist and a bassist. Need a drummer and a clean vocalist too, I've been learning screams and growls (cringy as all heck, I know). Probably play some mix of low tuned stoner-doom and deathcore. Probably going with the name "Impaled from Inside" or IFI.

Lynn78too said:
I would highly suggest looking into life insurance if you're going to do this. You can get a crazy life insurance policy for super cheap when you're so young. Just be sure you're not smoking. Which you shouldn't be doing anyways.
I've been straight edge since I was 9, so that's not an issue.

KarenSoCal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Katrina C said:
I LOVE geocashing!
With where you live & where I live...I don't think we're going to be able to meet up any time soon!

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JRS said:
Taken Personal Finance and Econ. classes already. And my grandfather is an accountant. Have a pretty solid understanding of that already

Kataira

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Leathercraft
Photography

shootinfool73

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lookijustneedhelp said:
what kind of hobby is "girlfriend/boyfriend" :'D

if your phone camera is decent you can try just-for-fun photography
LOL.... Hey he was asking for a way to not be bored. As a junior/senior in HS I found a girlfriend to be rather entertaining. Of course I also found them problematic at times and certainly not free or cheap...but they kept my time occupied....

lookijustneedhelp

Valued Member
Reaction score
shootinfool73 said:
LOL.... Hey he was asking for a way to not be bored. As a junior/senior in HS I found a girlfriend to be rather entertaining. Of course I also found them problematic at times and certainly not free or cheap...but they kept my time occupied....
nah im only with someone if i mean it.

shootinfool73

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lookijustneedhelp said:
nah im only with someone if i mean it.
I am too...now. Then I had the advantage of being shallow and self centered... :O

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Another thing: I have no desire to hunt or shoot anything.

rodmacpherson

Reaction score
MattS99 said:
I feel like that would cost a decent amount of cash, which I do not have.
Re model planes/ cars/boats... not if you do it the old fashioned way. Go to the library to find reference photos and diagrams in books or find them online.

You want exploded view diagrams that show how the plane is put together. Popular science and Popular Mechanics magazines often had these sorts of images.

Buy a 2by4 board from the lumber store.
Find a friend with a table saw and ask if you can use it for an hour. Cut the 2x4 down to smaller lengths and then slice thin pieces off it. (Much cheaper than buying balsa wood from a hobby shop) you want pieces thin enough you can cut them with a hobby knife/box cutter.

Now go back to the reference materials and start making the parts to build it.

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
rodmacpherson said:
Re model planes/ cars/boats... not if you do it the old fashioned way. Go to the library to find reference photos and diagrams in books or find them online.

You want exploded view diagrams that show how the plane is put together. Popular science and Popular Mechanics magazines often had these sorts of images.

Buy a 2by4 board from the lumber store.
Find a friend with a table saw and ask if you can use it for an hour. Cut the 2x4 down to smaller lengths and then slice thin pieces off it. (Much cheaper than buying balsa wood from a hobby shop) you want pieces thin enough you can cut them with a hobby knife/box cutter.

Now go back to the reference materials and start making the parts to build it.
Yeah... Thanks, but no thanks. Just not interesting to me.

Ken Ooi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
MattS99 said:
I am constantly bored despite my two expensive, time consuming hobbies (electric guitar and my fish). What are you guys into? Preferably cheap (free would be cool) and pretty time consuming.
Why don't you join a boy band and get a night gig and possibly earn a couple of bucks? Who knows you might get spotted and become the next 'Hanson' boy band.

Or just get into photography by getting a cheap DSLR then go take amazing photos! This branch of hobby can branch out to walking treks, holiday destinations, close-up photography and product photography.

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ken Ooi said:
Why don't you join a boy band and get a night gig and possibly earn a couple of bucks? Who knows you might get spotted and become the next 'Hanson' boy band.

Or just get into photography by getting a cheap DSLR then go take amazing photos! This branch of hobby can branch out to walking treks, holiday destinations, close-up photography and product photography.
Boy bands are an insult to every piece of music that has ever mattered to me.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ken Ooi said:
Don't forget taking photos of fish!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom