Help Me Find A New Hobby - Page 3

jcordar2

Get yourself and your guitar in a band....you won't have Any time to be bored.

MattS99

Get yourself and your guitar in a band....you won't have Any time to be bored.
Like I said, we're trying to make a band (Impaled from Inside), kinda hard to find metalheads.

Ken Ooi

Boy bands are an insult to every piece of music that has ever mattered to me.

Okay, sorry but that was a suggestion only to occupy your time and to use your musical talents. Play in a pub or club would be great to instill confidence playing to an audience.
Or take up adventure photography- great way to explore the outdoors and develop some skills

MattS99

Do all the housework for your mom; wash the car; wash neighbors' cars for cash; take up jogging; do jigsaw puzzles (free,check them out at the library). In fact, GO to the library and browse around. https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/save-money/weird-things-at-the-public-library/
Already do a pretty big percent of the housework, I live with slobs. Help out the neighbor daily, lives alone at 75 and no kids.

Okay, sorry but that was a suggestion only to occupy your time and to use your musical talents. Play in a pub or club would be great to instill confidence playing to an audience.
Or take up adventure photography- great way to explore the outdoors and develop some skills
Photography isn't my kind of hobby. Pictures aren't interesting to me. Hard to find pubs/clubs that'll let a 17 year old go in, let alone play music. Who wants a metal band these days anyway?

Mojo!

I am constantly bored despite my two expensive, time consuming hobbies (electric guitar and my fish). What are you guys into? Preferably cheap (free would be cool) and pretty time consuming.

Try to tackle on a new instrument, try a sport (I do soccer) or get a non aquatic pet. Leopard geckos are awesome!

MattS99

Try to tackle on a new instrument, try a sport (I do soccer) or get a non aquatic pet. Leopard geckos are awesome!
Do you know how expensive musical equipment is? It's pretty brutal, haha. Not an athlete either. I've wanted a leopard gecko for years, but you know, mothers can really hold you back.

TwoHedWlf

Sounds like the real answer here is go get a job, earn some money and get your own apartment.

Mojo!

Do you know how expensive musical equipment is? It's pretty brutal, haha. Not an athlete either. I've wanted a leopard gecko for years, but you know, mothers can really hold you back.

Ya, but you probably have way more fish than I do so.... lol

Ya, but you probably have way more fish than I do so.... lol

As far as Leo's go

LA58

Please do not bash your Mum! See, she brought you into this world and she can take you out!! At your age, you should be lifting weights. Any objects, not just gym stuff. Pick it up. Put it down. Repeat x15. Power Lifting is an awesome sport as you compete with yourself for Personal Best lifts.

MattS99

Please do not bash your Mum! See, she brought you into this world and she can take you out!! At your age, you should be lifting weights. Any objects, not just gym stuff. Pick it up. Put it down. Repeat x15. Power Lifting is an awesome sport as you compete with yourself for Personal Best lifts.
Never bashed her, I'd just prefer more pets in the house. A dog that hates people and one tank. Lifting is pretty impossible, I have an issue in my right arm that makes it pretty hard to do things like that with it.

LA58

Have you tried writing down all the things you don't want to do and then list what you would like? Think about the time and money each item on your want list would require. Matt, is your arm disabled in some way? Just wondering as I work with adults with mental and physical disabilities. Their desire to try doing things is remarkable. Remember drops of water can create holes in stone. It just takes persistence!

tunafax

May I suggest picking up League of Legends.

You won't want any other hobbies. I mean that literally.

Betta Great Granny

Try a pen pal from some place your interested in.

MattS99

Have you tried writing down all the things you don't want to do and then list what you would like? Think about the time and money each item on your want list would require. Matt, is your arm disabled in some way? Just wondering as I work with adults with mental and physical disabilities. Their desire to try doing things is remarkable. Remember drops of water can create holes in stone. It just takes persistence!
My entire right arm is about an inch and a half shorter than the left. Less muscle mass, my hand stopped growing when I was like 12. The fingers on my right hand are bent out of shape and look like they are broken, and always have been. I used to have what was called 'bone webbing' between my middle and index fingers on the right hand, removed with surgery. I have the grip strength of a 8 year old in that arm. Used to go to occupational therapy, but I quit and learned to write with my right hand just to spite her, she was truly an evil woman.

LA58

Sorry to hear your OT was rough on you. I am sure you endured pain after surgery. But Matt, do not give up on that arm. Stretch the muscles daily to maintain the mobility you do have. Some day you will want to wrap your arms around someone. You are the only one who can train and strengthen your arm. I pray you will try to help yourself and as you mature you will increase your strength. Personal desire and testosterone will be a healing combo for you. Make the most of what you do have. I'll cheer you on if you like. We all need cheerleaders in our lives. I was blessed with some in my life. Many have passed on, but their memories remain with me.

MattS99

Sorry to hear your OT was rough on you. I am sure you endured pain after surgery. But Matt, do not give up on that arm. Stretch the muscles daily to maintain the mobility you do have. Some day you will want to wrap your arms around someone. You are the only one who can train and strengthen your arm. I pray you will try to help yourself and as you mature you will increase your strength. Personal desire and testosterone will be a healing combo for you. Make the most of what you do have. I'll cheer you on if you like. We all need cheerleaders in our lives. I was blessed with some in my life. Many have passed on, but their memories remain with me.
She was a OT through the school, tried to make me place a bet with another kid over a football game. If my team lost, I got homework, the other kid didn't. My team won, he had homework and I didn't. I got her fired, they tried to place me back in there, I said no. Dropped all the plans to 'help' me, extended time, never needed it anyway. It's pretty hard not to stretch those muscles when you're a metal guitarist. No pain, no gain. Trem picking was a NIGHTMARE. Anyway, thanks for the offer, but I think I have myself covered with the whole cheerleading and desire thing. I've been my only friend my whole life due to this whole arm thing (kids are horrible to other kids, never wanted to hang with any of them after they tormented me).

LA58

I hear you. She had a lot to learn. Yes, kids can be absolutely horrible to one another. I taught 5-12 Instrumental Music for 10 years. Now in my 23 year of providing Music Therapy services. I'm a finger picker on acoustic guitar. Picks feel foreign to my hand. Be a good friend to yourself and Rock On!

azbev

I just want to acknowledge and even compliment everyone who has jumped in to answer MattS99 - such a caring group you are!! I am curious to ask MattS99 at this point: you have had so many ideas tossed your way since you first asked the question, what has appealed to you the most? LA58 suggestion is great: "Have you tried writing down all the things you don't want to do and then list what you would like? Think about the time and money each item on your want list would require." Betta Granny idea of a pen pal is a good one, too. Someone mentioned volunteering (maybe at your LFS or at an animal shelter?) and/or learning meditation - two more good ideas! (Meditation will help you throughout life.) Everyone has seemed to do their best to give you ideas, yet I've not read many hopeful or positive responses from you. You did say: "I'd totally dig painting if I had any kind of artistic ability, seems fun." Who says you have no artistic ability? It does not matter! If you enjoy it, THAT is what matters. So what's up with you? How ARE you?

MattS99

I just want to acknowledge and even compliment everyone who has jumped in to answer MattS99 - such a caring group you are!! I am curious to ask MattS99 at this point: you have had so many ideas tossed your way since you first asked the question, what has appealed to you the most? LA58 suggestion is great: "Have you tried writing down all the things you don't want to do and then list what you would like? Think about the time and money each item on your want list would require." Betta Granny idea of a pen pal is a good one, too. Someone mentioned volunteering (maybe at your LFS or at an animal shelter?) and/or learning meditation - two more good ideas! (Meditation will help you throughout life.) Everyone has seemed to do their best to give you ideas, yet I've not read many hopeful or positive responses from you. You did say: "I'd totally dig painting if I had any kind of artistic ability, seems fun." Who says you have no artistic ability? It does not matter! If you enjoy it, THAT is what matters. So what's up with you? How ARE you?
I'm not into meditating, but I'm trying to do some astral projection. My mother actually told me today that she wants another small pet that isn't a dog or fish, but she has 5 million different requirements. All of my favorite ideas involve taking care of another living thing, succulents and other pets are my favorites. I just don't dig the whole photography thing, just boring to me. I'm a metalhead stuck in my ways, won't try new music or instruments. Sports aren't my best option due to my arm, and I'm not too interested in picking them up again, I'd rather watch.

lol

I'm not into meditating, but I'm trying to do some astral projection. My mother actually told me today that she wants another small pet that isn't a dog or fish, but she has 5 million different requirements. All of my favorite ideas involve taking care of another living thing, succulents and other pets are my favorites. I just don't dig the whole photography thing, just boring to me. I'm a metalhead stuck in my ways, won't try new music or instruments. Sports aren't my best option due to my arm, and I'm not too interested in picking them up again, I'd rather watch.
I've read through most, if not all of this thread, and you say you're not interested in picking sports up again, and you seem to like hobbies that allow you to take care of a living thing... but what about some sort of racquet sport? I'm not the most athletic kid out there (I'd like to be), but badminton, tennis, and squash really interest me: it can be less stressful to play than team sports because you can do whatever you want and you will never be letting anyone down if you mess up or something. If you don't want to run across a field, you won't have to. Find a friend to play against you, or join a club, and I'm sure it would be fun even if you're just playing super casually.

And one of your arms is weaker than the other? No problem, you'll only be using one arm in a racquet sport anyway! I don't know what your condition is like but you may also be able to train/strengthen your arm by playing such a sport with your weaker arm.

Just another suggestion for you. Hope you find something you'll love.

MattS99

I've read through most, if not all of this thread, and you say you're not interested in picking sports up again, and you seem to like hobbies that allow you to take care of a living thing... but what about some sort of racquet sport? I'm not the most athletic kid out there (I'd like to be), but badminton, tennis, and squash really interest me: it can be less stressful to play than team sports because you can do whatever you want and you will never be letting anyone down if you mess up or something. If you don't want to run across a field, you won't have to. Find a friend to play against you, or join a club, and I'm sure it would be fun even if you're just playing super casually.

And one of your arms is weaker than the other? No problem, you'll only be using one arm in a racquet sport anyway! I don't know what your condition is like but you may also be able to train/strengthen your arm by playing such a sport with your weaker arm.

Just another suggestion for you. Hope you find something you'll love.
I actually play some badminton. Have the net and everything. Badminton and frisbee are two of my favorite things.

NavigatorBlack

Wait, guitar. There are lots of other instruments out there. It's like learning a language related to your own.

Bass. Mandolin. Bouzouki. Piano. Or develop your laptop skills and work with electronic genres. I've had a couple of students teach themselves how to make very interesting electronic music that could be incorporated with traditional metal forms.

MattS99

Wait, guitar. There are lots of other instruments out there. It's like learning a language related to your own.

Bass. Mandolin. Bouzouki. Piano. Or develop your laptop skills and work with electronic genres. I've had a couple of students teach themselves how to make very interesting electronic music that could be incorporated with traditional metal forms.
Instruments are expensive. And there's nothing as guttural or brutal as an electric guitar. Electronic 'music' isn't music to me at all. Random sounds.

Sepehr

Hello!
1 You can start Birdkeeping or any other animal
2 You can start watching Cartoons or TV shows (that is what I do)
3 You can play computer games that are very long and have many levels (I Play Plants vs. Zombies, Megaman X8)
4 You can start breeding fish
5 You can start writing a book
6 You can take part in a sport or go jogging
7 You can play chess

NavigatorBlack

Electric guitars are electronic music, once you use an amp.

You aren't going to find something. You write like everything that pops up is to be hit.
Playing whack-a-mole?

I'd relax, step back, and give it time. At 17, I had music and fish. Still do. You just have to go deeply into what you have, until (or if) a better deal comes along. You can't force it, and good things tend to take us by surprise.

MattS99

Electric guitars are electronic music, once you use an amp.

You aren't going to find something. You write like everything that pops up is to be hit.
Playing whack-a-mole?

I'd relax, step back, and give it time. At 17, I had music and fish. Still do. You just have to go deeply into what you have, until (or if) a better deal comes along. You can't force it, and good things tend to take us by surprise.
Technically, it is electronic. But I'm playing an instrument, not tapping away at a computer.

lookijustneedhelp

Technically, it is electronic. But I'm playing an instrument, not tapping away at a computer.
one thing ive always found funny about this argument is that, on the computer you press keys to make sound, and on a classical piano you press keys to make sound. the process between is different, but the concept is the same.

MattS99

one thing ive always found funny about this argument is that, on the computer you press keys to make sound, and on a classical piano you press keys to make sound. the process between is different, but the concept is the same.
But the keys on a piano are not labelled. It takes some kind of knowledge of the instrument to play it well.

Redguppy67

How about breeding your fish and selling the offspring to local Pet shops? You could possibly make a few coins,
and with that further your new hobby, or feed your fishes!

MattS99

How about breeding your fish and selling the offspring to local Pet shops? You could possibly make a few coins,
and with that further your new hobby, or feed your fishes!
Nothing would take offspring around here. I've never been interested in breeding anyway.

RedLoredAmazon

So have you found a new hobby from all the suggestions? When I have more time, I may have to pick one of the suggestions that was mentioned on this thread!

MattS99

So have you found a new hobby from all the suggestions? When I have more time, I may have to pick one of the suggestions that was mentioned on this thread!
I have not. Just haven't had time to think at all, finals just ended today. It seems like I'll be having another smaller tank or some kind of small animal, though.

RedLoredAmazon

I have not. Just haven't had time to think at all, finals just ended today. It seems like I'll be having another smaller tank or some kind of small animal, though.

Wow! School ends late for you! Our schools got out around mid-May to the end of May. I miss having furry pets, but since my kids are small, I have to worry about pet and child safety!

I do have another suggestion, not really a hobby though. My family loves to play board games! Some of us like to go to GenCon (big board game convention) and play new games with people.

MattS99

Wow! School ends late for you! Our schools got out around mid-May to the end of May. I miss having furry pets, but since my kids are small, I have to worry about pet and child safety!

I do have another suggestion, not really a hobby though. My family loves to play board games! Some of us like to go to GenCon (big board game convention) and play new games with people.
We start in early September, end in June. Horrible. About pets: Can you think of anything that's relatively easy to care for, and doesn't need a huge space to live? This has to get approved by my mother. Of course she wants a pet, but guess who'll be taking care of it? Doesn't necessarily have to be furry, I feel like there's a slight chance she'd go for a reptile or something similar.

kabellem

Sounds like you probably have narrowed your new hobby down, but I am guessing others are following this thread - I love this websites list of 308 hobbies to try: World's Largest List of Hobbies!

RedLoredAmazon

We start in early September, end in June. Horrible. About pets: Can you think of anything that's relatively easy to care for, and doesn't need a huge space to live? This has to get approved by my mother. Of course she wants a pet, but guess who'll be taking care of it? Doesn't necessarily have to be furry, I feel like there's a slight chance she'd go for a reptile or something similar.

I had hamsters, parakeets, and guinea pigs growing up. All were wonderful pets to have. However, I haven't had any recently and have heard that the size of cage that I kept them in as a kid may not be appropriate. Maybe if you and your mom go to a pet store and see what your mom likes and dislikes will help you decide on what type of pet to get. Also, make sure you have a plan on who and how the animal is going to be cared for if you are going to go into a traditional college dorm. I went to a commuter college so I was able to keep my parrot (I do NOT recommend getting one), hamster, and guinea pig.

MattS99

I had hamsters, parakeets, and guinea pigs growing up. All were wonderful pets to have. However, I haven't had any recently and have heard that the size of cage that I kept them in as a kid may not be appropriate. Maybe if you and your mom go to a pet store and see what your mom likes and dislikes will help you decide on what type of pet to get. Also, make sure you have a plan on who and how the animal is going to be cared for if you are going to go into a traditional college dorm. I went to a commuter college so I was able to keep my parrot (I do NOT recommend getting one), hamster, and guinea pig.
All I know is that she won't be getting any kind of bird or a rat. I'm still trying to push her towards another, smaller tank.

Feesh404

All I know is that she won't be getting any kind of bird or a rat. I'm still trying to push her towards another, smaller tank.
Have you considered Video Gaming? I play CSGO on Steam

MattS99

Have you considered Video Gaming? I play CSGO on Steam
Gaming for years already.

Lynn78too

There's ferrets. I'm not a fan of them but they appear to be cute to many people and not everyone thinks of them.

EbbandFlowCeramics

I think a great way to get into a hobby is to bridge it to an existing passion or need.

For example, I wanted to get into a creative hobby because I work in academia all week and sometimes I just need to feel like I'm making something tangible with my own two hands. I started up ceramics and while I have fun making stuff for myself, family, and friends, it wasn't until I started creating aquarium decorations and fish caves that I got really excited about it. I also love the whole process of starting new ventures, so I set up an online shop to see if I can turn my ceramics into a little side business.

You mentioned that you are already into electric guitars. Maybe something like making handmade guitar accessories like fabric or leather straps, wood-frame guitar stands, hand stamped picks, or even trying to make your own guitar from raw materials.

Awaken_Riceball_

I have quite a lot of hobbies, and I can pass some ideas along to you. My hobbies are:
  1. Trying out various recreational activities (Mainly Water / Snow SkI and Hiking)
  2. Explore various restaurants
  3. Friday Night Movies
  4. Outdoor Landscaping
  5. Technology (I enjoy visiting Tech Expos and learning new ways to save by going green)
  6. Purchase Theme Park Season Passes
  7. I enjoy traveling out the country, and I usually go international traveling twice per year
  8. Going to the bar on the weekend
  9. Start a collection. I collect Anime Figurines, Video Games Collectors Edition and building Armored Core Models.
  10. Training in a field of Martial Arts. I have 12 years of Brazilian Juijitsu, Taekwondo, 7 years Muay ThaI Kickboxing and 1 year boxing training experience.
I have other hobbies, but it is fairly common such as watching anime, playing video games and maintaining the aquarium.

azbev

With summer here, at least in the Northern Hemisphere, you could swim a lot, learn SCUBA diving, learn high diving, go fishing, surf if you can get to a beach, etc. But I tend to agree with : you are not going to find anything, especially considering the hundreds of suggestion here and at World's Largest List of Hobbies! But, hey, Matt! Are we being played? Sounds to me like you've found your hobby right here, with this topic. You've spent a lot of time with it! Your comments remind me of having a long conversation with someone who wants ideas and every time a new idea is offered, the response is "Yes, but..." There is actually a name for MattS99's style: its' called OCS or “oppositional conversational style.” Here's a link for more information: Good luck to you, MattS99.

MattS99

With summer here, at least in the Northern Hemisphere, you could swim a lot, learn SCUBA diving, learn high diving, go fishing, surf if you can get to a beach, etc. But I tend to agree with : you are not going to find anything, especially considering the hundreds of suggestion here and at World's Largest List of Hobbies! But, hey, Matt! Are we being played? Sounds to me like you've found your hobby right here, with this topic. You've spent a lot of time with it! Your comments remind me of having a long conversation with someone who wants ideas and every time a new idea is offered, the response is "Yes, but..." There is actually a name for MattS99's style: its' called OCS or “oppositional conversational style.” Here's a link for more information: Good luck to you, MattS99.
Reading back on this thread, yes I appear to be argumentative or whatever, but I'm really not like that. I don't have this OCS. I'm being picky because I want to find the absolute best thing for me to do in my free time. I already know my own likes and dislikes better than anyone else. Don't know why you had to drag this whole thing into this.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
stratozyck
Replies
Views
Skavatar
Replies
Views
angelcraze
  • Question
Replies