Help Me Find A Fish That Somewhat Fits These

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score
help, I know of fish that are the common answers platys, guppy's, molly's, shrimp, snails, etc.
I want something that sells well, has lots of fry, often, small tank size requirements, I know these are a lot of qualifications so I don't expect them to fit all these. Thanks! would like as many answers as possible possibly also doesent eat their fry

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bettas?
Not exactly easy to breed, but do well in small tanks and if you do succeed in breeding them they will have lots of fry.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I say chilli rasboras. They are pretty hard to find, so will sell nicely, can fit in a 10 gallon. They lay eggs

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone that's commented already always looking for more!!!

Albifrons

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Humpbacked/Black barred limia livebearers are more exotic side of the livebearer family. They're also fairly small and easy to take care of (as most livebearers are). Another cool thing about them is that they're not super common either, so you'll have something a little bit more interesting than your typical neon or guppy.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What about shell dwellers? Something like neolamprologus multifasciatus

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
phantom said:
help, I know of fish that are the common answers platys, guppy's, molly's, shrimp, snails, etc.
I want something that sells well, has lots of fry, often, small tank size requirements, I know these are a lot of qualifications so I don't expect them to fit all these. Thanks! would like as many answers as possible possibly also doesent eat their fry
I know this may pose as a challenge and may or may not be what you’re looking for but killifish, specifically nothobranchius ranchovii most of the beautiful ones are annual fish in which breeding is moderately difficult but if you dry the eggs they can be sold to hobbyists for between $40-$90 depending upon how many and which species. Since most are shipped out of Thailand you could make good money this is even more so if you live in the USA. They are very valuable and uncommon. If you want something more simple you could easily start breeding and selling ornamental snails, purple mystery snails and pink ramshorns go for a decent amount these days.

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Skye_marilyn said:
I know this may pose as a challenge and may or may not be what you’re looking for but killifish, specifically nothobranchius ranchovii most of the beautiful ones are annual fish in which breeding is moderately difficult but if you dry the eggs they can be sold to hobbyists for between $40-$90 depending upon how many and which species. Since most are shipped out of Thailand you could make good money this is even more so if you live in the USA. They are very valuable and uncommon. If you want something more simple you could easily start breeding and selling ornamental snails, purple mystery snails and pink ramshorns go for a decent amount these days.
how many gallons a killifish?

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fact of the matter is, all the fish you listed are exactly what youre looking for.

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score
DuaneV said:
The fact of the matter is, all the fish you listed are exactly what youre looking for.
yes but I breed those and are looking for to add some

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
phantom said:
how many gallons a killifish?
They are species only and do well in pairs, can be placed as one pair per tank since males are aggressive. You can’t mix species in tanks. Some people have had success with medium sized groups of pairs in one larger tank. Bare minimum is about 5 gal per pair and this won’t require a grow out bc you are selling dry eggs due to the fact that the fish live only 8 months. You will have to hatch your first mating pairs though.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
N-Class endlers are really nice, harder to find, but sell really well.

endlercollector has a lot of em.

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Skye_marilyn said:
They are species only and do well in pairs, can be placed as one pair per tank since males are aggressive. You can’t mix species in tanks. Some people have had success with medium sized groups of pairs in one larger tank. Bare minimum is about 5 gal per pair and this won’t require a grow out bc you are selling dry eggs due to the fact that the fish live only 8 months. You will have to hatch your first mating pairs though.
do the eggs ever expire I know its probably a stupid question if so how long do they last

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
phantom said:
do the eggs ever expire I know its probably a stupid question if so how long do they last
That I’m not sure, but I think once dried they can be stored in a dry location for months assuming no damage to the embryos.

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score
how many eggs do they lay at a time and how often for non annuals sry for asking many questions could not find anything on the web about this

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know that bristlenose plecos are a common answer, but some of the rarer species of pleco would suit in this case. (Im thinking like a breeding colony of zebras...)

Other than that, cories may work - like a group of sterbai or red lazers....

Apistos?

Tetras even - getting them to breed is easy, growing the fry is the hard part.

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score
aussieJJDude said:
I know that bristlenose plecos are a common answer, but some of the rarer species of pleco would suit in this case. (Im thinking like a breeding colony of zebras...)

Other than that, cories may work - like a group of sterbai or red lazers....

Apistos?

Tetras even - getting them to breed is easy, growing the fry is the hard part.
if you don't mind answering can I breed any of those in 20gs?

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
phantom said:
how many eggs do they lay at a time and how often for non annuals sry for asking many questions could not find anything on the web about this
I think average is about 60-90 but here are some links

Killifish - Nothos Killifish

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
phantom said:
if you don't mind answering can I breed any of those in 20gs?
All can easily breed in a 20 gallon.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom