Help Me Find A Fish That Somewhat Fits These

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by phantom, Apr 23, 2018.

1. phantomValued MemberMember

help, I know of fish that are the common answers platys, guppy's, molly's, shrimp, snails, etc.
    I want something that sells well, has lots of fry, often, small tank size requirements, I know these are a lot of qualifications so I don't expect them to fit all these. Thanks! would like as many answers as possible :) :) :) possibly also doesent eat their fry

2. FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Bettas?
    Not exactly easy to breed, but do well in small tanks and if you do succeed in breeding them they will have lots of fry.

3. emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

I say chilli rasboras. They are pretty hard to find, so will sell nicely, can fit in a 10 gallon. They lay eggs :)

4. phantomValued MemberMember

thanks everyone that's commented already always looking for more!!! :)

5. AlbifronsWell Known MemberMember

Humpbacked/Black barred limia livebearers are more exotic side of the livebearer family. They're also fairly small and easy to take care of (as most livebearers are). Another cool thing about them is that they're not super common either, so you'll have something a little bit more interesting than your typical neon or guppy.

6. MazeusWell Known MemberMember

What about shell dwellers? Something like neolamprologus multifasciatus

7. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

I know this may pose as a challenge and may or may not be what you’re looking for but killifish, specifically nothobranchius ranchovii most of the beautiful ones are annual fish in which breeding is moderately difficult but if you dry the eggs they can be sold to hobbyists for between $40-$90 depending upon how many and which species. Since most are shipped out of Thailand you could make good money this is even more so if you live in the USA. They are very valuable and uncommon. If you want something more simple you could easily start breeding and selling ornamental snails, purple mystery snails and pink ramshorns go for a decent amount these days.

8. phantomValued MemberMember

how many gallons a killifish?

9. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

The fact of the matter is, all the fish you listed are exactly what youre looking for.

10. phantomValued MemberMember

yes but I breed those and are looking for to add some :)

11. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

They are species only and do well in pairs, can be placed as one pair per tank since males are aggressive. You can’t mix species in tanks. Some people have had success with medium sized groups of pairs in one larger tank. Bare minimum is about 5 gal per pair and this won’t require a grow out bc you are selling dry eggs due to the fact that the fish live only 8 months. You will have to hatch your first mating pairs though.

12. 75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

13. phantomValued MemberMember

do the eggs ever expire I know its probably a stupid question :) if so how long do they last

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  14. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

That I’m not sure, but I think once dried they can be stored in a dry location for months assuming no damage to the embryos.

15. phantomValued MemberMember

how many eggs do they lay at a time and how often for non annuals sry for asking many questions could not find anything on the web about this

16. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

I know that bristlenose plecos are a common answer, but some of the rarer species of pleco would suit in this case. (Im thinking like a breeding colony of zebras...)

Other than that, cories may work - like a group of sterbai or red lazers....

Apistos?

Tetras even - getting them to breed is easy, growing the fry is the hard part.

17. phantomValued MemberMember

if you don't mind answering can I breed any of those in 20gs?

18. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

I think average is about 60-90 but here are some links

Killifish - Nothos Killifish

19. phantomValued MemberMember

thank you very much I think I may do killis!!!

20. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

All can easily breed in a 20g.