Help me fill my tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by keegee1012, Dec 7, 2012.

1. keegee1012

keegee1012 Valued Member Member

Hello!

I finally got that 200 gallon tank I've been dreaming of! So I wanted to start fresh. I sold most of my old fish and now its a big planted tank. (I use plastic plants. I think Real plants ar harder to take care than the fish though). Now it needs to be filled.

Right now, It has a pair of Discus fish , and three Angelfish (all are a year old now). Right now I don't know what other fish to put in.

Im looking for Some schooling fish that wont get eaten, Some other large but peaceful Cichlids, and some catfish (Other than cories).

Any suggestions? :3

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, how exciting, a nice huge tank.

When you say a pair of discus, do you mean a mated pair, or 2 discus?
    If not mated, I would concentrate on filling out your discus school. From all reports, discus do better with 6 or more.

I can't offer advice on discus/angel combinations other than discus require pristine water conditions. In 200G you may not have a problem :;dk

3. OP
    OP
    keegee1012

The discus are a happy pair. They've become mates last month so I decided to give the 'married couple' a new start. Of course with a couple of their old friends of course.

Though yeah, the tank is bare, and yes. I kept their water quality 'perfect'. I'm just looking for good compliment fish for them. :3

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

GBRs are a good fish to go with discus, as they like the warm water required. Cardinal tetras are a popular choice - they like the warm water too. Clown loaches are an option in such a large tank too - another warm water fish.

5. OP
    OP
    keegee1012

I love German Blue Rams! I used to have a couple before. I'm Planning to get some soon. :3 (Would six Rams be okay? I would love to see a mixed colony of Golden, Electric Blues and the natural coloration)

Cardinal Tetras are great, but They are very rare and expensive where I am at... (And even if the petshops do get them, A school is six here is already equivalent to a pair of juvenile discus!)

Clown Loaches, huh? I haven't have any experience with them... Time to do research!

Quick Question: Was browsing through a Pet Store and I fell in love with a fish called a 'golden Severum'. Based on research, they too come from south america and aren't as aggressive. Could they mix well in a tank of Discus and Angels?

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You could keep more than 6, and certainly have a mixed colony.

There are red, gold and green colored severums. You might be able to do them - I don't know much about discus stocking though, except for what I've already said. My gut says that they are too similar and the sevs might bully the discus.

7. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Blood fin tetras are a good tight schooling fish and your angel's won't bother them. As far as catfish try the Synodontis catfish. They can get up to 6 to 8 inches. They are wild caught so their not the cheapest but their worth it.

8. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

I have this new found love for roselike sharks. I do keep them. They also go by the names: torpedo babs, Denison bark, etc.... So yah they aren't sharks.... Just big barbs. They are schoolers, so u want 5 as a minimum. I've done research on them since I intend on putting angels with the ones I already have and there should b no problems there. They wouldn't hurt a fly. Colorful fun and active. They are natural to waters with a strong current, so they are great swimmers and can b jumpers. So u need a tank w a lid. A bit more pricey then your average fish but I think they are worth it. I've found them at some Petsmarts for $8 to $9 each and they tend to house them with the Redtails.

Just my suggestion :)

9. OP
    OP
    keegee1012

Thanks for the Suggestions everyone!

After hours of decision making and research, I finally found nice good fish species to go with my new 200 gallon. Hopefully this final setup isn't overcrowding the tank. IF it is, I would remove some of the fish.

2 Discus
    3 Angelfish
    6 German Blue/Electric Blue/Golden Rams (Mixed)
    1 Golden Severum (If its agressive, it will be put out)
    1 Festivum Cichlid (I've had amazing luck with these before)
    4 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
    1 Featherfin Catfish
    6 Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Assorted Cory Cats (peppered, Panda, And Albino)
    6 Emperor Tetras
    6 Silvertip Tetras
    3 Torpedo Barbs

10. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

I can't comment on if that is overstocked or not..... I'm not too good at that. But if it is determined that your stock list is about right, size wise... you MAY want to nix one set of tetras and up the barbs to 5. That really is the minimum. Mine are always swimming together in a bunch. They really appreciate numbers. Orrrrrrr if it is determined that you have room, up your count to 5. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice