Help Me Explain To My Brother And Sister-in-law

mmerton
Hello everyone,

My sister-in-law has convinced my brother to get a 29 gallon tank ( I suggested a 20 long but she says she doesn’t like those). Anyway, she wants to put clown loaches ( I explained those need over 100 gallons and she disagrees because her dad had one that was only two inches long) she also wants silver dollars ( I said they were too big but she doesn’t think so) and I believe she wants an albino cory.

What should I tell her to make sure they don’t get those fish?

Also if you could suggest any stocking ideas I could let them know so they don’t go out and buy unsuitable fish, that would be appreciated!

Thanks

75g Discus Tank
Show them the fish when they are full grown and show them this site.

david1978
Tell her to research the fish on seriouslyfish. Its one of the better sites for info on fish. The profiles on here are ok but outdated some.

Jenoli42
Hello everyone,

My sister-in-law has convinced my brother to get a 29 gallon tank ( I suggested a 20 long but she says she doesn’t like those). Anyway, she wants to put clown loaches ( I explained those need over 100 gallons and she disagrees because her dad had one that was only two inches long) she also wants silver dollars ( I said they were too big but she doesn’t think so) and I believe she wants an albino cory.

Also if you could suggest any stocking ideas I could let them know so they don’t go out and buy unsuitable fish, that would be appreciated!

Thanks

Show her this video, which shows the clown loach in comparison to fully grown cichlids and sharkfish

And this video of fully grown silver dollars:

There will be others that show comparisons so she gets a better idea of relative size.

Jenoli42
Hello everyone,

Thanks

Also, you asked for additional stocking ideas. What about a big school of kuhlI loaches? they are absolutely delightful to watch (need small ish smooth gravel or sand substrate). or the zebra loach? google videos of both.

she could think about diamond tetra instead of silver dollars...keep in mind they are very aggressive and you will need to design your stocking around them.

I haven't checked temp compatibility between kuhli's/zebra and diamond tetras in a while btw.

mmerton
Show her this video, which shows the clown loach in comparison to fully grown cichlids and sharkfish

And this video of fully grown silver dollars:

There will be others that show comparisons so she gets a better idea of relative size.

Thank you! I will send her those!

Also, you asked for additional stocking ideas. What about a big school of kuhlI loaches? they are absolutely delightful to watch (need small ish smooth gravel or sand substrate). or the zebra loach? google videos of both.

she could think about diamond tetra instead of silver dollars...keep in mind they are very aggressive and you will need to design your stocking around them.

I haven't checked temp compatibility between kuhli's/zebra and diamond tetras in a while btw.

This is almost exactly what I suggested! I will have to tell her about diamond tetras, great idea!
I’ll check the temp compatibility first
Thanks

Jenoli42
This is almost exactly what I suggested! I will have to tell her about diamond tetras, great idea!
I’ll check the temp compatibility first
Thanks

Ha! you're onto it then, mate! those leaped to mind when you said she wanted clown loaches in that size tank... I reckon kuhli's and zebra's are actually "cuter" and STAY cuter because they stay smaller. (no offense to clown loach lovers out there...they are totally cute fully grown in the right size tank.)

maybe you can go to the LFS she will go to and have a quiet word with the staff so that they say the same things you're saying?

mmerton
Ha! you're onto it then, mate! those leaped to mind when you said she wanted clown loaches in that size tank... I reckon kuhli's and zebra's are actually "cuter" and STAY cuter because they stay smaller. (no offense to clown loach lovers out there...they are totally cute fully grown in the right size tank.)

maybe you can go to the LFS she will go to and have a quiet word with the staff so that they say the same things you're saying?

Good idea! She is getting all of her information from her very old school dad who hasn’t re-touched on the new ways of fish keeping. Let’s hope she can’t talk my brother into getting them, ive sent him tons of pictures and links to forums taking about how big they get!

Brannor
That's one porker of a Clown Fish. At least to me it looks really chubby.

-G

Jenoli42
That's one porker of a Clown Fish. At least to me it looks really chubby.

-G

I've seen "chubbier" at one of the LFS where there wasn't enough room for it to turn around or swim more than half it's length forward

Brannor
I've seen "chubbier" at one of the LFS
I was at one store on the weekend and there was this big tank (maybe 2m long and around 600mm deep, but with a lot of rock taking up half the tank) at the front and I kept telling my girls that the tank was severely overstocked...even with the big filter (sump, etc.), there were far too many fish in that tank for them to move around and some that belonged in something far bigger. I get that you can fit more with lots of filtration...but when fish have to bump other fish out the way to move from one end to the other...

So not all LFS are good... their main display tank is to me, the best way to judge the quality of their fish/knowledge.

-G

TexasDomer
There are alternatives to clown loaches and silver dollars - diamond tetra get a bit big for a 20 gal long, but black or white skirt tetra would be size appropriate. Cories have similar body shapes and activity levels as clown loaches, so they might be a good option!

Jenoli42
I was at one store on the weekend and there was this big tank (maybe 2m long and around 600mm deep, but with a lot of rock taking up half the tank) at the front and I kept telling my girls that the tank was severely overstocked...even with the big filter (sump, etc.), there were far too many fish in that tank for them to move around and some that belonged in something far bigger. I get that you can fit more with lots of filtration...but when fish have to bump other fish out the way to move from one end to the other...

So not all LFS are good... their main display tank is to me, the best way to judge the quality of their fish/knowledge.

-G

Yeah, none of our locals seem to have display tanks...not even the one a few hours away. There's a few in Auckland that do. But there are other signs... like how they keep the big plecos/loaches... it makes me so sad when they basically can't move. One had a giant common pleco in a tank about 1.5mL and 600mm deep (so similar to the one you saw) but the pleco couldn't turn around and the staff person had just put a fairly large fire eel in the tank with the pleco who really wanted to move away from the eel but couldn't.

There are alternatives to clown loaches and silver dollars - diamond tetra get a bit big for a 20 gal long, but black or white skirt tetra would be size appropriate. Cories have similar body shapes and activity levels as clown loaches, so they might be a good option!
I think the OP said her sis had a 29 gallon despite her suggesting a 20long. do you think diamond tetra could be ok in that size?

mmerton what are the exact dimensions of the tank? TexasDomer is an absolute legend and a whiz at stocking but that's often one of the things she needs to know trust her recommendations

mmerton
I think the OP said her sis had a 29 gallon despite her suggesting a 20long. do you think diamond tetra could be ok in that size?

mmerton what are the exact dimensions of the tank? TexasDomer is an absolute legend and a whiz at stocking but that's often one of the things she needs to know trust her recommendations

I believe it is a 30x12x18 !

david1978
If its a standard 29 like mine its deep and not very long. I despise that tank. Only thing I ever put in it was guppies.

mmerton
If its a standard 29 like mine its deep and not very long. I despise that tank. Only thing I ever put in it was guppies.

Yep that’s what I told them! That’s why I suggested a 20 gallon long, haha

TexasDomer
I like a 29 better than a 20 long as it's the same footprint, but more volume and space and therefore more stocking options.

Diamonds should be fine in a 29 gal!

mmerton
Thanks everyone for the help! They have opted for tiger barbs instead of clown loaches.

TexasDomer
They're not really a replacement for each other, as they have completely different behaviors and aggression and they inhabit different levels of the tank.

Did he get a 29 gal? Is there anything else with the tiger barbs?

mmerton
They're not really a replacement for each other, as they have completely different behaviors and aggression and they inhabit different levels of the tank.

Did he get a 29 gal? Is there anything else with the tiger barbs?

They actually found a 40 gallon for the same price so they went with that. And they only wanted clown loaches bc they liked they way they look ( they don’t know about behavior or anything like that) which is why I suggested tiger barbs because they look somewhat similar. Right now it is just a school of tiger barbs and they are working on getting more fish later on.

Frozen One
They actually found a 40 gallon for the same price so they went with that. And they only wanted clown loaches bc they liked they way they look ( they don’t know about behavior or anything like that) which is why I suggested tiger barbs because they look somewhat similar. Right now it is just a school of tiger barbs and they are working on getting more fish later on.

Clown loaches need a tank larger than 50 gallons, I would suggest a school of 6-8 KuhlI Loaches

SFGiantsGuy
Yeah, Clown Loaches can get massively huge! I've seen 'em in a 100 gal tank reaching well over 9 inches in that tank alone. And Silver Dollars tend to destroy plants (Ehh maybe not Anubias lol) as well. Basically, what you're doing is very wise and smart: you're thinking about the practicality of BIG fish...and just as BIG consequences by having any Silver Dollars eat any plants! This also adds prominence to the overall legitimacy of thinking in big terms, while all the other think small. : )

Clown loaches=HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. lol...

Although I like the orange and black colors, just like my team! : )

Frozen One
I
Yeah, Clown Loaches can get massively huge! I've seen 'em in a 100 gal tank reaching well over 9 inches in that tank alone. And Silver Dollars tend to destroy plants (Ehh maybe not Anubias lol) as well. Basically, what you're doing is very wise and smart: you're thinking about the practicality of BIG fish...and just as BIG consequences by having any Silver Dollars eat any plants! This also adds prominence to the overall legitimacy of thinking in big terms, while all the other think small. : )

Clown loaches=HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. lol...

Although I like the orange and black colors, just like my team! : )
In terms of this app, I think you’re using way too big of words to describe very simple things lol. You used the word prominence totally incorrectly and I feel you might confuse people with your words it’s best to keep it simple.

TexasDomer
Just be careful what you stock with tiger barbs - they can be downright bullies!

mmerton
Just be careful what you stock with tiger barbs - they can be downright bullies!

Okay thanks, I will let them know.

Chandell
Hello everyone,

Thanks
I only know about cories and she needs to get at least 4-6 as they like to be in large groups. The more there are the happier they will be.

SFGiantsGuy
I've actually been psychologically tested extensively. And the results concluded that I have close to a 300 I.Q. thus, I always use "big words" heh Moreover, "big words" only confuse and bewilder people who cannot comprehend them. : )

Lynn78too
Jeez, talk about needing education on their new hobby! Tiger barbs aren't even close to the same type of fish as a loach. I'm glad you were able to convince them to get something else and thought of tiger barbs. I never really thought of them looking similar.

I've actually been psychologically tested extensively. And the results concluded that I have close to a 300 I.Q. thus, I always use "big words" heh Moreover, "big words" only confuse and bewilder people who cannot comprehend them. : )
So it's late and I'm tired and sarcasm doesn't always transfer well through the computer... that's sarcasm, right?

SFGiantsGuy
lol

Yeah Tiger Barbs are great...kind of underrated in comparison to the popularity of most tetras. Green Barbs are great too, but not always easy to find. Upsets me that most strains/breeding practices with Cardinals are kind of diluted now... : (

Frozen One

Wow! I’m talking to the smartest person in the world!!! Highest IQ ever recorded is 228. Sorry to burst your bubble but you’re only fooling yourself. Didn’t mean to offend you, just wanted to let you know you might not be helping people as much as you think you might be by using words that aren’t in people’s every day vocabulary. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

SFGiantsGuy
Wait, what was posted??!?! OMG, sorry, that was my younger brother! Hahahaha Sorry my bad dude! OMG...my bad for not signing out...

Lynn78too
Lol, that’s what I was asking about!

Brothers.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question
Replies
Views
babykitten
Replies