Help Me Diagnose My Zebra Danio

ZebraFishLover
Hi, my zebra danio named squirt contracted some sort of illness lately, symptoms sucked in belly, laying on bottom of net like he's dead (he's not) not responding to food that much, he is in a breeder net to prevent the other fish from attacking him. he ate this morning. He moved a bit when I moved the net. I can't waste time. : nitrate 10 ppm; nitrite 0 ppm; 150; 160; 8.4 I used tetra 5-in-1 easy strips.

penguin02
What about ammonia?

Tank size? What other fish are in the tank?

ZebraFishLover
Here's a picture

Attachments

• IMG_8246.jpg
    IMG_8246.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 73
penguin02
His belly looks a little shrunken, but it's hard to tell. That could be internal parasites

ZebraFishLover
What about ammonia?

Tank size? What other fish are in the tank?
I can't get ammonia right now, I'll get ammonia asap tank, is 29 gallons stock is 5 zebra danios. He is the smallest.

penguin02
Can you give us some background? Is it cycled, how long has it been set up, when were the fish added, ect.

ZebraFishLover
Can you give us some background? Is it cycled, how long has it been set up, when were the fish added, ect.
Of course ^^
Tank set up February ~3rd Fish added February ~8th I heard they were cycle fish so, I added them prior to cycling. I can't tell you for sure if it's cycled (I've never had anything to test for ammonia, and the test strips I use are widely considered inaccurate) But the nitrates are 10 and the nitrites are 0, so I can probably say it's cycled.

penguin02
Pretty sure KinsKicks is the disease expert. If I'm wrong, sorry Kins

ZebraFishLover
Pretty sure KinsKicks is the disease expert. If I'm wrong, sorry Kins
Do I have to message them or something? Or will they come to this post because you said their name?

penguin02
I tagged them so they'll see the thread

ZebraFishLover
Here's what he looks like right now I have to go though so gotta make this quick
20180623_180523.jpg

I won't respond till like 7 or 8 cst

I won't respond till like 7 or 8 cst
I can respond now

penguin02
I wish I could help more, but I have no idea. A lot of members are on at this time, so hopefully someone will come along

ZebraFishLover
I wish I could help more, but I have no idea. A lot of members are on at this time, so hopefully someone will come along
I honestly think that he's just stressed I was told to leave him alone for 1-2 days

KinsKicks
Just a quick questions before I give you any definite words; if you look from the top of the fish (like a birds eye view), is the back crooked (so it isn’t straight like it’s supposed to be)? And not curved (like a C-shape) because the fish might be in distress, but S-shaped?

ZebraFishLover
He is back to normal kinda now. he just lays on the bottom but not in that C shape

Just a quick questions before I give you any definite words; if you look from the top of the fish (like a birds eye view), is the back crooked (so it isn’t straight like it’s supposed to be)? And not curved (like a C-shape) because the fish might be in distress, but S-shaped?
I think he has a girlfriend, she is almost always under his net and chases the other fish away when they get close

ZebraFishLover
He's back in the C-shape. but looks straight from above.

KinsKicks
He's back in the C-shape. but looks straight from above.
Many apologies for the late reply, but the sunken belly and his overall look would indicate an internal parasite. Unfortunately, at this point, it may be too late to save that particular Danio, but as a proactive measure for your other fish, I would use using Metronidazole (found in something like Seachem Metroplex) and soaking food (dry food is the most absorbative) into a bit of the medication and feeding your fish. You can repeat this daily for 4-5 days, following up with daily water changes as well.

You should also think of improving their overall quality of diet by introducing foods with lots of vitamins and/or introducing veggies as well!

ZebraFishLover
Sorry guys, Squirt died this afternoon. I will miss him and he will never be forgotten as he was one of my first (and favorite) fish.

ZebraFishLover
Many apologies for the late reply, but the sunken belly and his overall look would indicate an internal parasite. Unfortunately, at this point, it may be too late to save that particular Danio, but as a proactive measure for your other fish, I would use using Metronidazole (found in something like Seachem Metroplex) and soaking food (dry food is the most absorbative) into a bit of the medication and feeding your fish. You can repeat this daily for 4-5 days, following up with daily water changes as well.

You should also think of improving their overall quality of diet by introducing foods with lots of vitamins and/or introducing veggies as well!
Thank you for your help. I will do this.

ZebraFishLover

I feel so bad for his tank mates they are schooling fish and now there's only 4! I'll have to get them some friends. Also it wasn't TB right? Because I don't wanna have to euthanize all of them.

KinsKicks
I feel so bad for his tank mates they are schooling fish and now there's only 4! I'll have to get them some friends. Also it wasn't TB right? Because I don't wanna have to euthanize all of them.
Tb, you’ll know. The spine curves (hence why I asked earlier!)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Zentuckyfriedchicken
Replies
Views
ZebraFishLover
Replies
Views
Nick72
Replies
Views