Help Me Diagnose My Mineral Deficiencies

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by shrimpdaddy, Jan 2, 2019.

1. shrimpdaddy

shrimpdaddyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +27
    Experience:
    Just started
    Please see the attached photos. Most of my plants aren't doing super well, they're losing color and deteriorating. The java moss is also getting some brown spots that grow and deteriorate as well. My Anubias are vein-y. And the banana plant's new leaf is almost white.

From an article I found online (Deficiency symptoms in aquatic plants - Aquascaping Wiki) I believe the issue could be low Nitrogen and low Potassium. If so, should I simply buy some Seachem Nitrogen and Seachem Potassium and dose for a while to see if I notice a difference?

I currently dose Seachem Flourish twice a week, and Seachem Flourish Excel every other day or so. Is it possible that those product don't include enough Nitrogen and Potassium? I use the Current USA Plus+ LED light on 65% across the spectrum for 8hrs a day.

Attached Files:

2. skar

skarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +381
    Experience:
    5 years
    Looks alot like what's going on with my plants.

Mag and iron deficiency.
    Apparently epsonsalt 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons and seachem Fe.

Also where are your nitrates @ ?

3. OP
    OP
    shrimpdaddy

Ratings:
    +27
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hm, I haven't even read about magnesium. Any reason you suspect magnesium and iron over nitrogen and potassium? Or do you think it could be all of the above? At this point I'm thinking about ordering all four to have on hand.

Nitrates are super low, often don't even register, so less than 5ppm.

4. skar

Ratings:
    +381
    Experience:
    5 years
    It very well could be all the above.
    I have the same issue right now and I've been using potassium.

There leaf curl looks like mag def and the yellowing could be from iron.

The nitrogen on my tank is also similar to yours and barely registers anything to count viable.

@SeattleRoy is helpful on all these elements.

Hope it turns out well for you.

5. SeattleRoy

SeattleRoyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +683
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    LOL @skar ....you have a good eye!

Hi @shrimpdaddy

skar is correct, it looks like nitrogen, magnesiuim, and I didn't see the picture of the Nymphoides (banana plant) leaf but if the new leaf is white with the leaf veins green then iron as well.

I took one of your pictures, downloaded and enlarged it, and this is what I saw:
    Arrow #1 is pointing to a newer leaf, notice how it is mostly green with just some light interveinal chlorosis (green leaf veins / lighter areas between veins). Arrow #2 is an older leaf, notice how the interveinal chlorosis is well defined with the leaf veins remaining green and the areas between the veins are almost yellowish? When interveinal shows up on older leaves it is a sign of insufficient magnesium. The plant actually 'steals' the magnesium from the older leaves and moves it to the newer leaves. Eventually there isn't enough magnesium to move, nor available in the water or substrate, and the new leaves will show interveinal chlorosis as well.

If the interveinal chlorosis shows up first on the new leaves, but the older leaves do not show interveinal chlorosis, that would be a sign of a lack of iron. This can be caused by insufficient dosing of iron or dosing the wrong type of iron for the pH in the tank.

The target level for nitrogen/nitrates is 20 - 30 ppm. Insufficient nitrogen will typically cause both old and new leaves to become uniformly yellow.

Hope this helps! Questions just ask, -Roy

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    shrimpdaddy

Ratings:
    +27
    Experience:
    Just started
    @skar and @SeattleRoy thank you both so much. Very generous with your time and response. I'll try to upload the banana plant photo again but may have the same issue. It's interesting about the timing of when plants turn light / veiny.

In my naive assumption, I thought Seachem Flourish had all the nutrients covered and didn't realize that it was missing some / didn't have enough of some. I ordered nitrogen, magnesium, and iron. I'll start dosing and see how things play out. Is there anything I should be warned about with dosing these nutrients in regards to fish, snails, or dwarf shrimp? Any other common nutrients that I should explore as well? I'll do some research.

Attached Files:

7. skar

Ratings:
    +381
    Experience:
    5 years
    Anytime @shrimpdaddy.

I'm not aware of any issues arising from dosing these nutrients.
    Obviously copper is an issue with shrimp, and don't use any algae removing chemicals.

Good luck !