Help Me Choose What Goes In My Walstad-ish Tank!

Bhuij

Hey everyone--

After a long dry start, I'm finally ready to start stocking my Walstad-ish tank. I say "ish" because I am using a small internal filter to create water movement, and because I will probably stock a higher bioload than plants alone can handle.

The tank is a standard 10 gallon with a dwarf hairgrass carpet, a large piece of mopanI driftwood as the only hardscape item, and a little bit of S. repens in the back. There is also frogbit on the surface as this is a lidless tank. The filter inside is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 GPH and seems to create a healthy current without blowing things around too much (exactly what I was aiming for). Here's the one I'm using:

So I'm trying to decide between two general stocking plans:

1. School of 6-10 very small fish
2. School of 6-8 very small fish + 6 or so small shrimps

Leaning towards number 2. How much of a load to shrimp add to the biofiltration? I want to make sure I have a decent school of fish without overstocking, and if that's impossible while also keeping shrimp then I'll probably skip the shrimp.

Also help me choose species?

I can't decide between Ember Tetras, Celestial Pearl Danios, and Endler's Livebearers, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. For shrimp I'll probably just do RCS since other shrimp seem really expensive... haha.

vikingkirken

I'd vote for the danios or endlers, because the shrimp will already be red. Green neon tetras would also be pretty in there. Shrimp are insignificant as far as bioload is concerned.

KinsKicks

Hello!

I like option 2 as well . The only thing with shrimp is that depending on your substrate, you might be inadvertently lowering your ph, and a lot of shrimps usually need harder water (which is dislike by plants...an endless cycle lol). However, crystal red shrimp (I actually think they're a bit cheaper, just get a lower grade; higher grades are the big bucks) do well in the lower pHs. Shrimp pretty much have a negligible bioload

Imo, go with the danios. They are super cool and are really fun to have. Shrimp are already red

Edit: dangit. Beaten by vikingkirken

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Bhuij

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, if I have red shrimp, then chilI rasboras or ember tetras would be kind of redundant in terms of color scheme.

My water comes out of the tap very hard and at a pH of about 8.1. Nothing I do seems to be able to significantly impact that pH since the hard water buffers so effectively. Luckily my fish and plants seem to have adjusted just fine, so I'm guessing low pH will not become an issue. I will monitor carefully though to make sure things don't get too soft or acidic for the shrimps. Thanks!

KinsKicks

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, if I have red shrimp, then chilI rasboras or ember tetras would be kind of redundant in terms of color scheme.

My water comes out of the tap very hard and at a pH of about 8.1. Nothing I do seems to be able to significantly impact that pH since the hard water buffers so effectively. Luckily my fish and plants seem to have adjusted just fine, so I'm guessing low pH will not become an issue. I will monitor carefully though to make sure things don't get too soft or acidic for the shrimps. Thanks!

Wow! That's some tap! What substrate are you planning to use?

Sarcasm Included

You can get different color shrimp with the chilI rasboras, or go with Sundadanio goblinus.

BottomDweller

Even wir

BottomDweller

Even with the shrimp I would do 8-10 tiny fish in option 2 as shrimp don't really add to the bioload and the fish will benefit from being in larger groups. If you go with cherry shrimp you could have a lot more than 6. 10-20 or more would be fine.

I would go with CPD as they like the same cool water that cherry shrimp do best in.

If you choose endlers I would just do 6 endlers.

Bhuij

Wow! That's some tap! What substrate are you planning to use?

We have well water where I live. I thought it would be a problem when I first got into the hobby, but it hasn't really caused any issues for me yet. It's a Walstad tank so I have 1 inch of Miracle Gro Potting Soil on the bottom, and 1 inch of BDBS on top.

Thanks all for the feedback. Those neon blue rasboras look pretty cool. I'm lucky enough to actually have a pretty great mom and pop fish store nearby and they seem to always get in all sorts of cool fish in varieties I've never seen or heard of before. I may just head down there and pick a species based on what I see available. Prefer not to order fish online if I can avoid it

Anders247

I agree with BD, option 1 is fine with shrimp as well. I'd do 10 CPDs and 15 red cherry shrimp.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
dahl
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics